Banned
HSC
1)

There's bond a and bond b

Which one is the covalent double bond and which one is the coordinate
covalent bond ?

2)

The qualitative test for water hardness is the lather of soap, but what's
the quantitative test for water hardness ?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
1) "b" is the co-ordinate covalent bond, as both electrons are provided by the 1 atom for sharing

2) Quantative test : (what ive got for this) precipitation with a known volume of Na2CO3 then drying and weighing precipitate......
You could write AAS i guess?

sh1n1gam1

HSC
1) bond B is the coordinate covalent bond.

2) You can use titration with EDTA or measure it gravimetrically by precipitating the ions in the water with a carbonate.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
one thing to add: titration of EDTA using enriochrome black-T as an indicator. turning point is when purple turns blue (IIRC)

now something which you don't know for the HSC: ozone infact exist in a resonance structure. so whilst the picture depicts ozone having 1 double bond and 1 single bond. in reality, what observed is that ozone has 2 1.5 bonds (again, no need to know this for hsc)

what you DO need to know, is that coordinate covalent bond, once formed, has exact same property as normal covalent bond.

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
Actually, yeah, my friend had a uni friend who was talking to us about ozone today.

http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ozonepq0.jpg

He said that the pink bonds alternate in linking the green dotted oxygen and the red dotted oxygen and there's no actual coordinate covalent bond forming :S It's nice to know this, but I guess I shouldn't go against BOS in the HSC, right? o_O

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
coordinate covalent bond is a very obscure idea...

and your friend is absolutely right, the other bond alternates between the two oxygen atoms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)