need some help in dropping subjects ?? please (1 Viewer)

mickoo

HSC
ok i dont know what to drop for 12 next term
its currently out of PDHPE or BIO im going really well in both ranked around the same so cant decide need some advice
also is 10 units allright next year?

thanks aye

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you're doing well in both and the workload is ok for you, don't drop.

If it's too much work then drop the subject you find the most boring or if you like both, drop PDHPE because bio scaling > pdhpe scaling.

benhaddad

HSC
anna hit the nail on the head, if you can handle it keep them both, if you cant drop PD

HSC
Keep them both and if one gets too hard, you can always drop it later. If you can't handle both subjects, then drop the one you like the least, or the one where the teacher isn't very good and you basically have to teach yourself. Or if all else fails, drop PDHPE because biology scales better.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I am always worried when I see kids dropping to 10 units as soon as they can.

I advise (and am usually ignored) to continue with 12 at least for 4th term and really see how the HSC course shapes up.

Many HSC courses are more interesting than the Preliminary, more difficult etc and so making a decision on the basis of Preliminary could mean actually making the wrong one whereas waiting until towards the end of 4th term you really do get a chance to weigh up the merits of the HSC courses in each subject (even do the first assessment task in each one is my advise ... but as I say to my students "What do I know I have only been teaching for nearly 30 years" - Yes I am that old but I am here to help where I can).

Annyex

HSC
Hey I'm a new member so just wana say hi to everyone

I have the same problem as well....
I want to drop physics AND visual arts
because both are hard and visual arts is very demanding
but I can't because then I'll have 9units if I do (and of course that's definitely not allowed)

I can't pick up 2 unit religion or anything else that's possible
but can i pick up a 'Saturday School of community languages'??

Thanks heaps
much appreciated

Annyex

saberbladexx

HSC
Hey I'm a new member so just wana say hi to everyone

I have the same problem as well....
I want to drop physics AND visual arts
because both are hard and visual arts is very demanding
but I can't because then I'll have 9units if I do (and of course that's definitely not allowed)

I can't pick up 2 unit religion or anything else that's possible
but can i pick up a 'Saturday School of community languages'??

Thanks heaps
much appreciated

Annyex
Hi firstly ask your science HT if you can pick up senior science, in our school you can pick it up or replace it if you did a pure science course in year 11, its a 2unit subject and even though its fairly low scaling it'll only count for 1 unit for you, so its a viable option.

I'd go to your year adviser and inquire into what subjects you could pick up to fill up that extra 1 unit you need, i'm sure theres something.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Hi firstly ask your science HT if you can pick up senior science, in our school you can pick it up or replace it if you did a pure science course in year 11, its a 2unit subject and even though its fairly low scaling it'll only count for 1 unit for you, so its a viable option.

I'd go to your year adviser and inquire into what subjects you could pick up to fill up that extra 1 unit you need, i'm sure theres something.
This is some good advice.

Otherwise, if you're performing pretty much the same in both physics and VA then drop VA because physics scaling > VA scaling by a mile XD

And many people find doing a language out of school very hard, so be sure you want to do it before you actually do :)

Annyex

HSC
Ok that's good stuff, thanks for your comments, however I do all science (bio, chem, physics)
but I feel there's too much science, and most importantly I want to keep chem and i need bio too.

Physics is not necessary for me so that is why I want to drop it
And for visual arts, you need a lot of commiment and effort.
And i don't think i would need it later in life, I chose it because I like visual arts as my hobby- but now it's getting up on my nerves!!

That's why I want to get rid of them two.
I don't do any history or extension, so I can't obviously pick them up
Hopefully I'll find a way

Annyex

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)