Network Has Mind Of Its Own (1 Viewer)

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
hey ppl

first of all this is my computer network configuration:
Cable Modem connected to computer 1 (C1)
C1 connected to switch (C1 has two network cards)
Computer 2 (C2) connected to switch

now ma problem is that the actual home network connection between the computers only always works..... except sometimes, C2 cannot access the internet although C1 can access the internet and the network was existing (as in i can access th files of one comp from da otha)

so yea if anyone know what causing this or on how to stop this help would be much appreciated...

btw both comps are fairly new running winxp pro

thanx

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
yeh everything is enbled and working fine sometimes..... its just sometimes randomly the problem explained above occurs...

Merforga

When in doubt, reformat and reinstall ^___^

No don't unless you're really desperate :p.

It could be a cabling problem. The cable could be damaged at some parts and so work in one position and not work when touched slightly.

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by Merforga
When in doubt, reformat and reinstall ^___^

No don't unless you're really desperate :p.

It could be a cabling problem. The cable could be damaged at some parts and so work in one position and not work when touched slightly.
hmm... ill try that but i doubt it
btw im referring to the cabling not the formating:p...they've both recently been formated

Merforga

You don't need an uplink port when sharing an internet connection like his described. If he was using a router then yes he would need uplink port (though why he wouldnt use the ports on the router would be a different question altogether)

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
um... doesn't ur switch have an 'uplink' port?!?!?
im not too coputer savvy, but are you referring to that seperated port on the switch where you plug modems into, if it is, i dont use it because under that way, both comps can access the internet.... btw im using C2 to access the internet now so it is working again randomly without me doing anything...

fatmuscle

HSC
you do or don't want C2 to access the net?

ask winston, he seems to be the man with the XP knowledge

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
yea i want c2 to access the internet but sometimes randomly it wont...and its starting to really bug me... btw even though c2 is now accessing the internet, c1 which is directly connected to the modem is no longer accessing the internet... lyk you can ping websites but msn and internet explorer wont display anything.... theres something really wrong going on and im confused...:S

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
If you want both computers accessing the internet, why are you running the modem through one of them? :confused:

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by anti
If you want both computers accessing the internet, why are you running the modem through one of them? :confused:
that the only way ive had both of them accessing the internet... C1 has two nwtwork cards.......one for da modem and otha for da network.....

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
hmm. i always thought switches worked like thus:

Modem -> Switch
Switch -> C1
Switch -> C2

The way you have it set up implies that C2 will be connected iff C1 is "on"

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
yea thats what i think it should be but that configuration has never worked with me because optus doesnt allow you to have a network and when u connect in that configuration, two computers need an optus ip which cant work because optus only supplies one....... well thats my theory anyway
therefore ma configuration is
Modem -> C1
C1 -> Switch
C2 -> Switch
and then any other comps are added to da switch as well...

fatmuscle

HSC

Modem -> Switch
Switch -> C1
Switch -> C2

yeah, that's what i thought and got confused about..

with ur C1 / C2 configurations, are you running 10 or 100mbps?

I guess i have something "similar" to ur setting, but i'm dialup

my "C1" has the dialup and network card connected to switch
my "c2" and "c3" are both connected to swtich.

all networked and all access the internet.

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC

Modem -> Switch
Switch -> C1
Switch -> C2

one of my friends suggested that i try this configuration but im now worse off than before because now only C1 can access the internet and the network that worked between C1 and C2 now no longer works and C2 still can not access the internet...

Originally posted by fatmuscle
yeah, that's what i thought and got confused about..

with ur C1 / C2 configurations, are you running 10 or 100mbps?
uhm....... i dont know.... i thought it always ran at the highest posible... oh wait... the night next to the network ports indicate 100mbps... mayb that mean im runnig at 100mbps...

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by ZeGoat
one of my friends suggested that i try this configuration but im now worse off than before because now only C1 can access the internet and the network that worked between C1 and C2 now no longer works and C2 still can not access the internet...
but then your settings will ahve to be changed for C2 to access the internet.

uhm....... i dont know.... i thought it always ran at the highest posible... oh wait... the night next to the network ports indicate 100mbps... mayb that mean im runnig at 100mbps...
yeahp, it sure does!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC

Yeah, the network should still work with both computers connected to it. Make sure you have 'ip is automatically assigned' in your network settings. What switch do you have? (I don't know about cable modems, sorry)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
my network totalli went wacked yesterday......... i had to fiddle around with my router for ages.....and half of the times i didnt know wot i was doing cuz i am IT illiterate and the pplz at optus couldnt help cuz i am a network instead of having an external modem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)