New 3 series Coupe (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you think?

My first reaction was "hmm looks a bit like how I'd imagine the 5 series..." and then I looked at the side and you can see the clear design cues from the 6 series with the wrap around tail lights, but I don't like the design of the tails. Maybe because the photos are from quite afar you can't see them clearly, but they don't look as sophisticated as the current 3 series coupe's LED tails.
Performance wise it seems pretty kickass with the 335Ci with twin turbo 3.0L i6 producing 228kW! 0-100 is 5.5seconds. The 330Ci however is 202kW with 0-100 in 6.1, and 325Ci with 163kW 2.5L i6 and 0-100 in 6.9.

My net is slow but if you want pics- it should be on the SMH drive website (drive.com.au?)~

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I saw it in Wheels. And I really like it. I think it kicks 3-series sedan ass.
It's also great they brought back the turbocharger. The 2002 Turbo and 745i were both successes, so it's surprising it took so long. I am just awaiting Hamann to take that motor and double/triple it's output and kill anything the new M3 is going to put out. That's a car I would buy (I wish...).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For those who want to see; the article is at: http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/article.aspx?id=11410&vf=2&bg=32&pp=0
Here's what it says;

Drive said:
New 3-Series coupe exposed
The Sydney Morning Herald
Friday April 21 2006

The sleek two-door is due in local showrooms by the end of the year, reports JOSHUA DOWLING.

The new BMW 3-Series coupe has broken cover early.
These official images were leaked on a US website earlier this week and were not due to be published by the world's motoring press until the middle of next week.

It is the second time BMW has endured the embarrasment of watching its photos circulated before the carefully planned media campaign kicks in; pictures of the 3-Series sedan leaked months before the official unveiling.
The photos of the coupe show that there is greater difference between the 3-Series sedan and coupe models than ever before.

According to BMW insiders, the coupe does not share any common panels and the headlights and tailights are also unique.

The accent lines along the flanks of the coupe have a more pronounced bulge than those on the 3-Series sedan.

Despite initial rumours that the coupe would be known as the 4-Series the German maker is sticking with the 3-Series tag for the time being.
BMWs are about the driving experience, so it should come as no surprise that the first details that have been leaked relate to the new model's performance credentials.

The coupe is expected to mark the debut of a new range of turbocharged BMW engines.

A new model, to be called the 335ci, is reportedly powered by a twin-turbo 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder engine (228kW) that is said to propel the 3-Series Coupe from rest to 100km/h in 5.5 seconds.

The 330ci, meanwhile, is powered by a revised version of the 3.0-litre engine in the 3-Series sedan (202kW) and has a claimed 0 to 100km/h acceleration time of 6.1 seconds, while the 325ci, with a 163kW, 2.5-litre in-line six-cylinder engine has a claimed 0 to 100km/h acceleration time of 6.9 seconds.

BMW Australia would not release any details about the new model prior to its release next week and prices are yet to be confirmed but Drive understand the new range will go on sale locally before the end of the year, starting with the 330ci (priced about $100,000) and followed by the more affordable model, the 325ci (priced about $80,000).

Priced about $120,000, the turbocharged 335ci is expected to bridge the gap between the 330ci and the high-performance M3 version, which costs $140,000.

The new M3 is at least 18 months away from Australian showrooms but vehicles have been spotted testing. If the spy shots are any indication, BMW will, for the first time in Australia, sell the M3 in sedan as well as coupe body styles.

The M3 is expected to be powered by a 298kW V8 engine derived from the V10 that powers the BMW M5, and will likely be the quickest model in the new BMW line-up.

I don't know about you guys but I think the front and side profiles are damn sexy... I really like the agressive look on the front. It reminds me a bit of the Z4 (and the new cosmetic upgrade), but I prefer this to the Z4 for sure. Not too sure about the back- it still looks a bit odd (the tail light cluster seems 'incomplete'?), but dual exhausts are always nice. Good to see the sharkfin is still there.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
whoa! what a great looking car, that looks better than the sedan. especially the rear lights arrangement, better than the weird ones on the sedan.

Pace_T

HSC
the rear lights r an improvement from the sedans imo
but its still gay
the rest is nice though

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Arrangement is nice, but whilst better thant he sedan, there's something about the light cluster on both 3 sedan/coupe which just doesn't seem as nice as the ones on the e46 (or the other BMWs actually). It looks cheap compared to the rest of the car- I call it the "Are they Korean?" look.

But sigh I love the front/side. The front is so.. 5 series (remember the menacing stare of the last gen?) and the side is so 6 series (love the profile). I feel so sad, I keep staring at the pics and going "daym that looks nice".

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Id have to reserve judgement until I see one in the flesh.
Some people are dissapointed that the door line doesnt line up with rear shutline like it did in the e46. A touch of Bangle, however I'm glad the rest of the car is pretty much Bangle free. Will look class in real life IMO.

Last edited:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh i saw it in the paper yesterday
i think the tail lights could hav been nicer

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm... comparing black e46 330Ci which looks damn sexy... to this. I'm leaning towards this one actually. It doesn't have the elegance of the e46 but it's just so.. 'striking' that it's quite attractive. I wonder if it'll be easy to get into the back because I remember in the 330 it was quite painful trying to take both my cousin, my parents and me on a road trip... quite cramped in the back with luggage in the boot as well.

Btw do you guys reckon the new coupe's design makes it look a lot bigger? The way the lines are, it makes the car look like it's been stretched quite a bit compared to the e46. There also is wood in the photo attached above- I haven't seen wood in a new BMW model in ages (I believe it's optional now isn't it?) in exchange for that funny design which looks like lots of little cubes with different shading? *shrugs* Call me grandpa but I prefer wood.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
That cubing metal look thing isnt in the e90 3 series, so it probably won't be avaliable in the e92 coupe. Havn't seen it in the flesh, but in pictures it looks awful.

The insert choice on the e90 include...
1. Lighter timber (forgotten it's name)
2. Darker timber (same as a above)
3. Brushed real aluminuin
4. Plastic magnesium look crap.

Valeu

HSC
It looks very good relative to BMW's efforts over the past 5 years but it has lost some of the simplicity, elegance and athleticism from the E46 - until i see one in the flesh i won't judge any further.
But thank god it's escaped the taxi-style boot lid.

I suppose the long flame-surfaced profile leads the eye from the front-guard to the rear flank - emphasising the car's length, but is it actually bigger?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
wheredanton said:
That cubing metal look thing isnt in the e90 3 series, so it probably won't be avaliable in the e92 coupe. Havn't seen it in the flesh, but in pictures it looks awful.

The insert choice on the e90 include...
1. Lighter timber (forgotten it's name)
2. Darker timber (same as a above)
3. Brushed real aluminuin
4. Plastic magnesium look crap.
Hmm was the cube thing available on the normal e46 sedan as well?

As for the e90 sedan, which one is the standard trim? I'm not a fan of that brushed aluminium look- sure it's modern, but the car feels 'cold' when you sit in it compared to the nice colour schemes of light beige leather with wood. But then I guess that look probably isn't as sporty/aggressive- especially not in the e92. Not really a big fan of black leather.

EDIT: Btw, you seem like you really love your 3 series BMWs :p Haha.. surprising considering you were arguing for Lexus in the other thread- but I guess it's always fun to defend the underdog.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hmmm... doesn't the release of a 3-series coupe dent into the market of the M3? just comparing the current E46 M3 and this 3-series coupe, both make similar power and have similar 0-100km/h performance... and i'm sure the twin-turboness of the latter could make more power than the 228kW

cars are only getting thirstier and faster =\

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
seremify007 said:
Hmm was the cube thing available on the normal e46 sedan as well?

As for the e90 sedan, which one is the standard trim? I'm not a fan of that brushed aluminium look- sure it's modern, but the car feels 'cold' when you sit in it compared to the nice colour schemes of light beige leather with wood. But then I guess that look probably isn't as sporty/aggressive- especially not in the e92. Not really a big fan of black leather.

EDIT: Btw, you seem like you really love your 3 series BMWs :p Haha.. surprising considering you were arguing for Lexus in the other thread- but I guess it's always fun to defend the underdog.
Cars, car marketing and the image of cars within the human psyche are pets hobbies. I love looking at car marketing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)