New airport scanners see underneath clothing (1 Viewer)

JonnoisBored

HSC
New airport scanners see underneath clothing

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/06/11/Scanners_that_see_through_clothing_installed_in_US_airports

Security scanners which can see through passengers' clothing and see their body underneath are being installed at 10 US airports.

A random selection of travellers getting ready to board airplanes in Washington, New York's Kennedy, Los Angeles and other key hubs will be shut in the glass booths while a three-dimensional image is made of their body beneath their clothes.

The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA), has said the scanners do allow security screeners to see details of a passenger’s body and sexual organs, but their faces will be blurred.

The booths used emit millimetre waves which identify explosives, chemical materials, metal, ceramics and plastics through clothes.

The TSA website states that the images taken will not be stored or printed.

"Once the transportation security officer has viewed the image and resolved anomalies, the image is erased from the screen permanently. The officer is unable to print, export, store or transmit the image."
kinky...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I can shee your vinkee!
hehehe

me121

Premium Member
HSC
this is really interesting. (i mean the technology rather than what it is being used for.)

i wonder how long the scans will take and what kind of data they can produce..

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Its funny how in the last decade or so, whenever new technolodgy or laws are brought out we are told that they wont be abused, then years later we find out the oposite.

Oh well, i am not a hot chick so i wont be getting held up and scanned, sometimes i love being a white male.[If i was a security guard i would also be taking pictures of the screen with my phone]

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
God this is so fucking stupid, as if airports weren't bad enough already

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol so naive Slidey!
There's also risk of the images ending up on websites.

It would probably be cheaper to make passangers check their clothes in with their luggage, but youd still have the dull drudgery of the cavity search.

juggernaut

HSC
The officers dont even see your face. So in a way, it actually is far less intrusive than a pat down. What would you rather, a 10 second effortless walk through, or a 30 second face to face pat down? All while security becomes impenetrable, which means i wont be on a plane that gets held up by some crazy pen knife wielding arab.

I can only see huge benefits in this...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Iron said:
lol so naive Slidey!
There's also risk of the images ending up on websites.
You are being facetious, right? Do you know how this technology works?

sca

HSC
Hmm, we were discussing this in legal studies the other day. Apparrently they aren't "randomly" selecting the old or the ugly for the scans, either.

Unfortunately I'm in the prime demographic to be "selected" too - young, female, and not unnattractive. In some ways I'd rather have a female officer pat me down, or even strip search me. At least that wouldn't involve an image of my body being recorded in some system somewhere for all eternity.

Last edited:

juggernaut

HSC
They dont record it. It isnt stored, reused in any way what so ever. Its just shown in real time to the guards eyes and thats the end of it.

Unless ofcourse the guard whips out his mobile and starts vid recording then thats another story...

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
sca said:
Hmm, we were discussing this in legal studies the other day. Apparrently they aren't "randomly" selecting the old or the ugly for the scans, either.
Wtf
sca said:
Unfortunately I'm in the prime demographic to be "selected" too - and not unnattractive.
You wish
sca said:
In some ways I'd rather have a female officer pat me down, or even strip search me.
Of course you would......
sca said:
At least that wouldn't involve an image of my body being recorded in some system somewhere for all eternity.
Did you read the article?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)