new centrelink reforms (1 Viewer)

Trentyboi

HSC
haha. you're a fucking germ, trent

what was with your little bitch session the other week? fucking hypocrite
Thanks.

I'm not going to be receiving anything from the government. So, I'm not really a hypocrite. My brother is on youth allowance, so if there's things he needs to know that he doesn't, don't you think I'd better tell him? It's also for my own personal interest in the matter too. And even if I did receive any money from the government, I would still continue working. So a lot of my benefits made from the government would be given back because of my job.

It would be more of a safety net, incase I lost my job, and I could use my savings and assistance to get my through.

I agree that I was too skeptical in my bitch session last week; but I am still right, how most people who take the most complain the most.

I'm just a person who believes you should work for your money, and that you should only receive benefits if you genuinely need them. Youth Allowance if you're studying, as you'll be benefiting society as being an educated pupil (more understanding and receptive and all that bullshit) whilst improving the overall economy as we'd have more professional workers.

Sorry about off-topicness.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Blast.
By the time the age of independence rolls around for me, I'll have already left university (or will only be a few months off) and won't need YA.
:(
I think free money was never meant to be, for me. Unless I get married.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Fuck, I'm in the process of taking this year off and was planning to be independent and go back to uni next year.

I'll have worked the whole year for nothing.

I'll be 22 end of this year, but I won't be eligible for that one either.

Hopefully I'll have earnt enough and can claim independence before January 1st 2010.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Personal Income Test not being changed until 2011? Get fucked.

Trentyboi

HSC
Fuck, I'm confused. Everything is getting changed/taken out at different times.
:confused:

Least this isn't too important for me. Sucks to all those that got fucked over.

On another note, as Krudd has lowered the low income threshold for Family B (and/or A), does that mean if you earn over the adjusted maximum sum in THIS financial year you have to pay back the $950('s) you got for your dependents? I hope not, otherwise my parents will have to pay back like three grand just for the cash bonuses!

I'm sure the new threshold would start from next year. Apparently it's gone from like $110 000 for dual income to $70 000.

I'm going to work now, sorry if my questions aren't clear, but I would appreciate any answers or directions to where I could ask or find an answer.

izzy88

HSC
On another note, as Krudd has lowered the low income threshold for Family B (and/or A), does that mean if you earn over the adjusted maximum sum in THIS financial year you have to pay back the $950('s) you got for your dependents? I hope not, otherwise my parents will have to pay back like three grand just for the cash bonuses!

I'm sure the new threshold would start from next year. Apparently it's gone from like $110 000 for dual income to $70 000.
i sincerely doubt that anyone would have to pay the $950 back. The 950 was based on the last year's tax return (ie. 2007-2008). The readjustment of the maximum threshold would only affect 2008-2009 and beyond tax returns. I'm fairly sure your 950 is safe!

...damn i've been screwed by the gov. I didn't get the 950 and now i'll never get youth allowance...

hannahxxx

HSC
The reforms are absolutely fucked. I have been working towards the $19 000 in 18mths thing, but I will not make it by January 1. I don't get penalty rates at work at present because of Howard's WorkChoices regime; I work a lot of Sundays and that money might have helped push me over the $19 000 before Jan.
I do full time uni and work 22 hours a week. But for the next 3 weeks my boss is only giving me 6 hours a week because they are training new staff. Fuck man I live away from home and I need bloody support when stuff like this happens :(

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
lol. I just thought: everything is coming in 2011 hey? Paid paternity leave, lowering of the age of independence. WHY CAN'T THEY FUCKING DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

izzy88

HSC
erm its all about phasing it in, lets just say its like the retirement age rising in 2023 i think to 67. If they were to raise it now, it would be a massive shock to the people in their 60's, so they gradually phase it in.
yeah but this wouldn't be a shock to students if they lowered the age immediately- it would be welcomed (unlike the retirement age where they are increasing it ie. negative for those people). Its all about saving money, and saying they are doing something for students- and who knows if the rudd government will even be there in 2011!

izzy88

HSC
They changed it because of the Bradley report which showed that 60% of people on the $18k/18 months route to independance families had earnings over $150k.
it was more the fact that a majority got the independence by earning that $18k/18 months (generally on some form of school gap year) and then lived at home getting youth allowance (with parents who have high incomes). so in essence they weren't independent.

Perhaps a better solution would be to make independence based on actually living out of home...

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
it was more the fact that a majority got the independence by earning that $18k/18 months (generally on some form of school gap year) and then lived at home getting youth allowance (with parents who have high incomes). so in essence they weren't independent.
thats exactly what i said

Trentyboi

HSC
If you live out of home and can prove you're getting no support from your parents you should be independent :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)