New Draft Syllabus (1 Viewer)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Ooooh finally some stats in 3U

Also I love vectors being taught for mechanics in 4u, right now it's just a "oh you probably know what a vector is, let's not explain it very well in the context of mechanics and make you use them". A bit confused as to why SHM is written in the 4u syllabus and not the 3u one - I would've thought they'd bring it down to 2U if anything.

Simorgh

HSC
Damn Physics and Chem have also had quite a change over! Different topic names and some new ones as well.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I feel like with the new syllabus, they're leaning more towards the university side of science, they removed maintaining a balance for biology replacing it with more genetics/heredity stuff and gibb's free energy is introduced for chem.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I think it is good that matrices are back. But do you think it is in the right place? It is natural to put vectors and matrices in the same place. But vectors is in Ext. 2 and matrices are in 2 unit. If we put them in the same place do you think they should they both be in 2 unit, or Ext.1 or Ext.2?

I can see why they put vectors in Ext. 2 - another natural place for it is with mechanics. So does that mean a better place for matrices would be Ext. 2 rather than 2 unit?

Also, if matrices stays in 2 unit, how well do you think 2 unit students will cope with it?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I was quite surprised matrices was put into 2U only; I was expecting it'd be in MX2. But the words 'matrix' or 'matrices' don't appear to be in the MX2 document anywhere (or even MX1). Will matrices be assumed knowledge for MX1/2 and will there be Q's involving them in their exams?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
I was quite surprised matrices was put into 2U only; I was expecting it'd be in MX2. But the words 'matrix' or 'matrices' don't appear to be in the MX2 document anywhere (or even MX1). Will matrices be assumed knowledge for MX1/2 and will there be Q's involving them in their exams?
yes thats what surprised me as well, although i think 2unit will be limited to only 2x2 and maybe extension will have larger matrices to deal with?

leehuan

HSC
Ditto to all of the (recent) above.

Seeing 2U tackling with matrices will be enlightening.

But it shouldn't be too bad. At least they have a formula sheet. And it really feels like simple matrix arithmetic and solving linear systems anyway.

I was so sad last night when I realised how juicy the new physics course was. Why didn't I get to do it.

mnk63

HSC
From the 4-unit syllabus:

"investigate historic sporting photographs that illustrate contentious umpire decisions before the
advent of video umpiring. Using their understanding of motion, students must determine the
validity of the umpire’s decision justifying their reasons with appropriate mathematical argument,
assumptions and justification"

Thoughts? Seems pretty rad.

HSC
Uni Grad
So what's happening with these changes? Have they been officially implemented or is it still under consultation stage?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I'm actually so glad I just get to miss out on these changes. It'd be so hard to find resources for the new syllabi changes... since when did they have to find a way to incorporate Aboriginal stuff into every subject??? Financial maths in 2U????

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I'm actually so glad I just get to miss out on these changes. It'd be so hard to find resources for the new syllabi changes... since when did they have to find a way to incorporate Aboriginal stuff into every subject??? Financial maths in 2U????
Financial maths is already in 2 unit lmao

HSC
Uni Grad
Incorporating the Aboriginal stuff into every subject won't happen in practice I guess. As for resources I'm probably going to scout through O-level and A-level past exams (UK, Singapore, Malaysia syllabus), AP past exams, SAT resources (USA) for such courses, as well as use my first and 2nd year uni materials to teach.

Also seems like the differential equations stuff seems easy to me. Thought they would have something a bit harder though, like solve: y'' + 2y' + y = 0 or something similar.

Financial maths is already in 2 unit lmao
Isn't it only in general?
It's in both 2U and general, and the content wont change for that as far as I know.

As a general note I'd wonder what those retiring baby boomer teachers will think, will they bother to continue learning the extra year 11/12 content or opt out?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
As a general note I'd wonder what those retiring baby boomer teachers will think, will they bother to continue learning the extra year 11/12 content or opt out?
Well theoretically they would've seen the material before probably (in university), and it's not like the material would be too advanced, should be able to be learnt relatively easily (guessing)? Like from what I can see there isn't too much deep stuff regarding matrices for example (iirc). (Although it'd be better if they knew the topics at a university level probably.) But yeah probably a lot of them would opt out.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
Well theoretically they would've seen the material before probably (in university), and it's not like the material would be too advanced, should be able to be learnt relatively easily (guessing)? Like from what I can see there isn't too much deep stuff regarding matrices for example (iirc). (Although it'd be better if they knew the topics at a university level probably.) But yeah probably a lot of them would opt out.
Praying to the lord that means more jobs for me when I decide to become a teacher and teach the new syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)