New 'I want to buy a laptop' Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete_mate

HSC
YankeeChica said:
I finally decided to buy this computer Dell XPS M1210. Powerful, Light and small at cheap price. just what i've been looking for ages. I think its a good choice for people who want a notebook as powerful as a desktop but light enough to lug around with one hand . This is the perfect choice. Plus its backed by 2 yrs dell premium service(unheard of in notebook) and of course Dell is an american company that you can trust with peace of mind. :D
Wtf is "premium service"? they can call it whatever they like, dell service is infamously shit. They dont make any of their parts, they have a whole series of empty cases and shove random bits of hardware into them that other people have made. Whereas ASUS actually design. (that is, transistor number 4million and 1 goes over here) motherboards and many other components. Infact, they are the only motherboard/computer manufacturer to have early access to Intel's new chip designs. Hell, some of asus' mobos go into dell's. Does that mean you'd get good support? maybe if they ring asus whiel you're on hold.

the 1699 model doesnt even have a dvd burner, that's unheard of in a notebook above $800.

It say's "High End Graphics = Ultimate Multimedia Machine" are you fucking serious? it doesnt even have a graphics card, which you'd easily get above 1480 in another laptop.
The best deal they do is they'll throw in some shit printer, but it's a lexmark so it costs $50 a cartridge.

Last edited:

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Those ones do look particularly shit.

I still love my dell laptop to bits though. It's two years old, and it's been perfecto.

Collin

HSC
N/A
YankeeChica said:
I finally decided to buy this computer Dell XPS M1210. Powerful, Light and small at cheap price. just what i've been looking for ages. I think its a good choice for people who want a notebook as powerful as a desktop but light enough to lug around with one hand . This is the perfect choice. Plus its backed by 2 yrs dell premium service(unheard of in notebook) and of course Dell is an american company that you can trust with peace of mind. :D
Yeah, the M1210 is a nice machine. It's pretty much the laptop I'm eyeing right now too. WXGA+ on a nice 12" screen, with a T7200, 2GB DDR667 to boot.

Josie said:
I still love my dell laptop to bits though. It's two years old, and it's been perfecto.
Me too. I spilt soft drink all over my Inspiron a week ago, and I thought that was it. Surprisingly nothing happened, and it's still working fine.

pete_mate said:
the 1699 model doesnt even have a dvd burner, that's unheard of in a notebook above $800.
Bullshit. $800? Secondly, that's why Dells are configurable. I actually NEVER use the DVD burner on my laptop, so if I was to get that laptop now, I wouldn't even need to pay some extra dollars for a DVD upgrade.

pete_mate said:
It say's "High End Graphics = Ultimate Multimedia Machine" are you fucking serious? it doesnt even have a graphics card, which you'd easily get above 1480 in another laptop.
The best deal they do is they'll throw in some shit printer, but it's a lexmark so it costs $50 a cartridge.
It's called marketing. Pretty shifty marketing there indeed, but you'd have to be kidding me if you take all marketing material released by computer manufacturers like Dell to heart.

gracie007

HSC
pete_mate said:
pff, our ticket price is 1780 at JB Hifi, and bargaining off $100 wouldnt be hard.. i could easily have beaten that.

and it comes with a free tv tuner anyway, asus give it to us, we prettymuch ahev to give it to you. but of course, he was doing a "special deal" :rofl:

Meh, thats what you get when you shop at a place with 6 elevators in it and staff all wearing suits.

funny u say that coz i actually went to jbhifi BEFORE myer and the guy said the best he could do was 1700...lame
the guy in myer wasnt doing a 'special deal'. it came with it anyway. i just mentioned it coz i thought it was cool.

Collin

HSC
N/A
The_highwayman said:
:confused:

i thought the 'W' did stand for widescreen.

:confused:
Exactly.

WXGA = Wide XGA. In other words, ASUS makes WXGA screens, they just call them Widescreen XGA.

YankeeChica

Banned
HSC
pete_mate said:
Wtf is "premium service"? they can call it whatever they like, dell service is infamously shit. They dont make any of their parts, they have a whole series of empty cases and shove random bits of hardware into them that other people have made. Whereas ASUS actually design. (that is, transistor number 4million and 1 goes over here) motherboards and many other components. Infact, they are the only motherboard/computer manufacturer to have early access to Intel's new chip designs. Hell, some of asus' mobos go into dell's. Does that mean you'd get good support? maybe if they ring asus whiel you're on hold.

I think you were looking at completely different model. They came with Nvidia GeForce 7400go (super crisp graphics) and 2.33 Ghz core duo processor (super fast), 2 gb of memory, the best OS Windows Vista and Dual layer dvd writer. It is the best I can find in its category, that is small and light 12" computer but powerful as a desktop pc. Plus its stylish.

Your reasoning that those who design or manufacture will produce better PC or customer service does not hold water. If that was the case intel would be making its own PC and dominate not only manufacturing, but also the PC market. Dell sold tens of millions of computers every year and has been the market leader for over a decade. Since people buys products that satisfies them, perhaps Dell PCs are better than Asus after all :D

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
YankeeChica said:
I think you were looking at completely different model. They came with Nvidia GeForce 7400go (super crisp graphics) and 2.33 Ghz core duo processor (super fast), 2 gb of memory, the best OS Windows Vista and Dual layer dvd writer. It is the best I can find in its category, that is small and light 12" computer but powerful as a desktop pc. Plus its stylish.

Your reasoning that those who design or manufacture will produce better PC or customer service does not hold water. If that was the case intel would be making its own PC and dominate not only manufacturing, but also the PC market. Dell sold tens of millions of computers every year and has been the market leader for over a decade. Since people buys products that satisfies them, perhaps Dell PCs are better than Asus after all :D
Either you work for Dell or you listen too hard to salesmen.

Anyway, I've decided on the Asus F3JP, which is a C2D T5500, ATI X1700, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, 15.4 WXGA @ 1280x800 (probably the only compromise on the machine). This is all for 1900 witht he mouse, case and tv tuner (of course). It's a pretty sweet deal for me - hopefully I can have it ordered by the end of the week.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I recently got a very sexy laptop for about $1500

Toshiba A100
2*512MB Dual Channel PC5300 DDR2 Ram
Nvidia Geforce 7300 (128MB onboard, 128MB shared)
Intel 1.66GhZ Core Duo (3GhZ rating)
15.4" Trubrite widescreen display
1200*800 native
Harmon/kardon speakers
Fingerprint reader

It's very sexay

gracie007

HSC
bringbackshred said:
I'm posting from my F3JP.

Fuck bloatware.

hey did u get vista with that? and the tv tuner? have u installed urs yet? coz i swear mine isnt working. at the cd start up screen it only gives u the option for xp drivers. lame.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and I should add that my sexay laptop also has an extended-life battery that lasts for more than 6 hours :eek:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
zomg 6 hrs
*faints*...mine only lasts for only 3 and a half hrs
oh well

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Just get an 9 or 12-cell battery. problem solved. what's your laptop?

EDIT: gracie, check the tuner's manufacturer's website. they should have vista drivers

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
asus w5f
i think mins only 6 cell....dont really wanna fork out another $100 just for a battery

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fair enough. it was worth it for me, as I use it for uni.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
gracie007 said:
hey did u get vista with that? and the tv tuner? have u installed urs yet? coz i swear mine isnt working. at the cd start up screen it only gives u the option for xp drivers. lame.
I've got the same problem, but the aerial won't even fit into the end of mine, lol. I installed drivers for mine, I think they were Vista drivers but I wasn['t too sure. I just hit install and alt tabbed back to filemaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)