New iPhone 3G S - Apple WWDC 2009 (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Why are the prepaid and outright prices so high?

I know a few people in the U.S. and they all say that the iPhone 3GS is sold for $200 give or take.

danz90

HSC
Why are the prepaid and outright prices so high?

I know a few people in the U.S. and they all say that the iPhone 3GS is sold for $200 give or take.
In the US, that $200 is the price you pay upfront for the handset, and you actually have to go on a plan. It's not even offered prepaid in US from what I know.. you have to go on a plan with AT&T. So in the end you would pay roughly the same.

jaredtomas

HSC
In the US, that $200 is the price you pay upfront for the handset, and you actually have to go on a plan. It's not even offered prepaid in US from what I know.. you have to go on a plan with AT&T. So in the end you would pay roughly the same.
Yep. We actually end up paying a little less, actually. We also get a lot more choice here seeing as this time around, every single carrier in Australia offers the iPhone, where as in the USA, AT&T is the only carrier. Considering USA's population is about 20 times that of Australia, it's quite pathetic. Americans get the short of the stick indeed.

I got my iPhone for free on the Vodafone $69 cap.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
apple is pretty smart releasing a shit iphone then upgrading it slowly.

yeah cause they totally didn't have the techonology to put a better camera/video/bigger storage in the iphone 3g.

rofl
You can hardly blame Apple. With 256mb RAM and 600 MHz of computation power, it's faster than my old Intel Pentium 3. And faster than every other phone out there.

They could have made it even faster and with even more memory, but there's no incentive for them to right now - they have the fastest phone around. Even if others don't catch up, they'll eventually upgrade it again as an incentive for people to buy a new one - it's what Apple does.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Isn't that outright?

You can buy an iPhone outright from an Apple retail shop (like LifeForce in the Byron Bay Industrial Estate).

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
the thing i laughed about is how on the iphone site they show all this new amazing stuff with the iphone 3gs, and most of it you get for free on the 3.0 software update for the iphone 3g.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
You can hardly blame Apple. With 256mb RAM and 600 MHz of computation power, it's faster than my old Intel Pentium 3. And faster than every other phone out there.

They could have made it even faster and with even more memory, but there's no incentive for them to right now - they have the fastest phone around. Even if others don't catch up, they'll eventually upgrade it again as an incentive for people to buy a new one - it's what Apple does.
its definitely not the fastest out there, the Toshiba TG01 mobile phone has a 1Ghz processor...
Toshiba TG01 with 4.1-inch WVGA touchscreen: a world's first Snapdragon
now thats fast!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)