New Students: What to do after receiving your offer (1 Viewer)

Salliea

HSC
Re: New Students 2012: What to do after receiving your offer

Session 1 ends on Monday 2 July :p

Kittenslayer

HSC

with prerequisities, does that mean they have to be completed before you can do that unit?
cas theres a subject thats offered in session 1 but has a preqreq of another subject in session 1..how does that work?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

with prerequisities, does that mean they have to be completed before you can do that unit?
cas theres a subject thats offered in session 1 but has a preqreq of another subject in session 1..how does that work?
Correct. You won't be able to enrol in a unit you meet the prereq.

What that basically means in your situation is that you have to do the prereq in sem1 before you can do the subject in question.

Last edited:

Biswuck

HSC

hey. I accepted an offer to do international studies at macquarie, but i want to do arts media. so what ive done is changed my preference so arts media comes above.
but, does a course generally run out of vacancies after the main round?
and more importantly, can my offer be terminated in anyway for international studies even if i accepted it? i wanna make sure i wanna actually get in :p

Bloomster

HSC
N/A

This will be my first year. Dumb question - but I'm not sure I fully understand NCCW. I read this on the mq website:

"An NCCW (Not to Count for Credit With) unit is one that you choose to study although the credit points will not count towards your qualification. The grade you receive for an NCCW unit will be included in your GPA calculation."

What are the ramifications of 'it not counting towards my qualification'? Any clarification would be great.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

This will be my first year. Dumb question - but I'm not sure I fully understand NCCW. I read this on the mq website:

"An NCCW (Not to Count for Credit With) unit is one that you choose to study although the credit points will not count towards your qualification. The grade you receive for an NCCW unit will be included in your GPA calculation."

What are the ramifications of 'it not counting towards my qualification'? Any clarification would be great.
NCCW (Not to count for Credit With) means that if you have taken any of the NCCW units listed, the unit you are looking at taking will not be counted for credit. It essentially means that you are not allowed to take the unit if you have taken any of the NCCW units listed. This stops people from taking units they already know the content of, which would give them an unfair advantage over others. For example, the beginners German unit GMN104 has the NCCW of 'HSC German Extension or Continuers Band 4, 5 or 6'. This stops anyone who is already clearly pretty good at German from taking the beginners course, where they would blitz everyone else and gain an HD without any effort. Think of it as an anti-prerequisite.

Bloomster

HSC
N/A

Thanks may-cat for the clarification.

Gangstar1

HSC

offft thanks for this +rep

Bloomster

HSC
N/A

I'm going to organise my enrolment on the 17th Feb. Does anyone know what the parking situation is? When I attended Open Day, it was free parking, are the enrolment days the same or do you have pay for casual parking? If so, where do I organise this? Thanks in advance.

thisiswar

HSC

Another question...i can't seem to register for an enrolment session as it keeps saying that i havent completed an "Enrolment Preparation Session (EPS)" CAn anyone tell me what that is and how I complete it?

Thanks

Salliea

HSC

Enrolment Preparation Session (EPS) is a compulsory day designated, where you go on-campus to be told some stuff about your units, register your units, create your timetable, collect your campus card and some other miscellaneous things if need be.

You complete it by registering though here: https://secure.mq.edu.au/enrolment/register

On the other hand, EPS has already started from the 6th o_O;;

thisiswar

HSC

Huh? But i got my offer on the 8th!

Salliea

HSC

Ohhh...than congrats for the Final Round ;D

It's fine, enrollment is still on-going, i think it goes until the 17th or smthing :\

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Might want to update the timetable URL to this year's :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Might want to update the timetable URL to this year's :)
*yawn* i just woke up, but ok, just for you

Ok, all links and info updated for 2013.

Please pay attention to the note in red. If you don't understand the timetable, it's not your fault, it's the fault of the numbskulls getting a paid a mint to do ONE FUCKING THING RIGHT, and screwing it up anyway.

Last edited:

engelsein

HSC

Question, I have yet to get my TFN so I can't fill out my HECs form. I ordered a form so I should be getting it done soon.
But I still have no idea how long would it take, should I call up the ATO and explain my situation?
However I have accepted the offer.

Will this put me in a disadvantage when it comes to the whole figuring out my timetable and getting a mentor via uniwise etc?

I would really really appreciate a response because this has been bugging me for a whole week!

engelsein

HSC

It's not letting me edit ^

But my question basically is that does it matter doing all the things required a little bit later or would it have an impact? Sorry I should have clarified.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Short answer yes, long answer maybe, its a first come first serve basis so it really depends on quotas and demand

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

engelsein

HSC

Thanks so much. Definitely gonna have to get a move on then.

HSC

Hey, I know that the teaching structure has been left out of the timetables but I'm hoping someone can go off previous experience and help me out.

I intend on taking PHIL137 and looking at its timetables its giving "...Lecture_1" and "...Lecture_2". My understanding is that this means these are two separate lectures with different content in, and as such need to attend both.

Is it possible that anyone can confirm this?

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)