Newcastle Med (1 Viewer)

rockstar01

HSC
I read that the cut off for umat for Newcastle is thought to be about 180 for scaled scores...

Just wondering if it is the same conditions as with the 93.8 UAI
i.e. you are of no more advantage by scoring higher than that

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
that is correct. The uai won't change, but the umat cutoff will probably go up or down again this year.

rockstar01

HSC
I got 183 scores and 255 percentiles ...what do you think? can i make it?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Can you make what? Med? No clue - that's entirely up to you, and how you go in the HSC and in an interview...if you get one.

PopcornPixie

i throw popcorn at u! >:)
HSC
You don't get given your raw marks, for the UMAT. Instead, you're given scaled scores (ACER does stuff to the raw marks), and your percentile rank.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes. Only ACER sees the "raw" marks, not even the universities get to peek at them - let alone use them. The scores people (erroneously) refer to as "raw marks" are actually the scaled scores that appear on the statement of results.

roxy_chick

HSC
rockstar01 said:
I got 183 scores and 255 percentiles ...what do you think? can i make it?

Rockstar...how did you figure out those scores? Did you just add them together??? cos i got a score of 179 and a percentile of 261... how does that work???

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Depends, 60 in sec 1 could be percentile of 99, whereas in sec 3 it could only be 70.

(just an example)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
heart said:
what do 'scaled scores' mean?

the whole point of having scaled scores as opposed to percentiles is so that you can compare how well a person performed in 04' to another person who did the umat in 05'. So most, if not all unis, take scores into account. A percentile is merely there to show how many people you beat in the year you did the umat, which is irrelevant since you will be competing against people who did the umat the year before.

Correct me if i'm wrong...

bit of a pointless post, but i'm bored :[

taurus_88

HSC
Bob.J said:
that is correct. The uai won't change, but the umat cutoff will probably go up or down again this year.

What do you mean by 'up and down AGAIN'? Do you think it will really change or not? I feel really confused about the whole UMAT cut-off thing. I got UMAT scaled scores (total) of 178, so does that mean I'll miss out on a Uni of Newcastle interview? You see, I read in a thread somewhere that uni of adel. had a cut off of 172 last year, and I think it's also 172 or something this year, because my friend also applied to uni of adel with scaled scores of 170 (total). She didn't get an interview from the uni. of adel. but I did. Weird!
Anywayz, can anyone say FOR CERTAIN that the UMAT cut-off for uni of newcastle will definitely change or not??? Does anyone have a clue???

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
well ever since 02' i know that the umat cut off has been getting lower. if it follows current trends the cut off will be about 180

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
This year may be lower due to the fact that ppl are put off by the cost cutting UNCLE is implementing with reducing tutorial times and delivering lectures via the internet.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
lol the lectures which monash havent scheduled in due to timetable clashes are classified as "distance learning lectures"...

ism

HSC
N/A
i got my interview offer today!

anyone else?

Metroid Hunter

HSC
Yep, I got my letter too. My Interview is the day after my formal - not good. I'll be too tired to think during the interview.

Yeah, my combined umat score is 180. I think that would be the lower end of interview offers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)