• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Newton's law of universal gravitation (1 Viewer)

tinaxo.

HSC
I have this question for an assignment and i don't know what info should be put in it.

Discuss the importance of newton's law of universal gravitation in understanding and calculating the motion of satellites. In your discussion, identify that a slingshot effect can be provided by planets for space probes.

Please help.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Since I can't be bothered to research that first thing to you, I'll help you with the easiest part.

tinaxo. said:
identify that a slingshot effect can be provided by planets for space probes.
The question is asking you to IDENTIFY... so:

A slingshot effect can be provided by planets for space probes.

Simple.

For that other bit, it should be easy to research.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
A point you may want to add to your stuff:

if you equate gravitational force and centripetal force, you can derive a formula for orbital velocity. This provides important info on the motion of a satellite, helps us understand what factors influence v and allows for v to be calculated (or other values by rearranging the equation), therefore Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation is of great importance.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
jm01 said:
Since I can't be bothered to research that first thing to you, I'll help you with the easiest part.

The question is asking you to IDENTIFY... so:

A slingshot effect can be provided by planets for space probes.

Simple.

For that other bit, it should be easy to research.
i don't agree with that, wrong verb i think, surely there looking for angular momentum assisted trajectory towards a planet, gravitation provides coupling between primary. BY newtons 3rd LAw, As object increases in speed, planet slows but since mass is so large it is negligable.. relative to sun object has increased in speed

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That is actually the syllabus dot point, so I think it is correct.

They ask identify because they'll only give a multiple choice or a 1 mark question in the HSC for that.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
jm01 said:

They ask identify because they'll only give a multiple choice or a 1 mark question in the HSC for that.
I suppose so, i feel safer knowing more than what is required. I cant remember what the verb on the syllabus was but if that is then i retract my statement. Seems like a useless dotpoint in retaspect

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
jm01 said:

TO be honest, i dont give a hoot what the verb says - with exepreience of doin dozens of past papers, they HAVE ASKED U TO EXPLAIN FOR 3 MARKS the sling shot effect in trials - not sure bout HSC, but yeh are u willing to risk tghat it wont be asked as an 'explain' Q in ur assessments/half yearlies/trials ??

if not, just learn it

all good textbooks have this info - (why do i have to keep repeating this? so many pointless Q's on this site, seriously....)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Pwnage101 said:
TO be honest, i dont give a hoot what the verb says - with exepreience of doin dozens of past papers, they HAVE ASKED U TO EXPLAIN FOR 3 MARKS the sling shot effect in trials - not sure bout HSC, but yeh are u willing to risk tghat it wont be asked as an 'explain' Q in ur assessments/half yearlies/trials ??

if not, just learn it

all good textbooks have this info - (why do i have to keep repeating this? so many pointless Q's on this site, seriously....)
Thats exactly what i think, people get to caught up with the verb. When preparing summaries etc i prepare fully for every dot pt. Obviously u prepare more for assess, discuss etc

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
...not sure bout HSC
That's because they haven't.

Even if we did get this question, it's simple logic - The spaceshuttle would need to be launched near the equator. The Earth's velocity through space is added to the spaceship, thus reducing energy (fuel) required to launch it.

But most importantly, we wont be asked calculation questions on it.

I'm not saying not the prepare for it, because when you learn something, you need to also learn the logic behind it. It's like the Michaelson and Morely experiment - You don't need to learn the Physics behind an interference pattern (not in syllabus anymore) but it does help to understand things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)