• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nexttttt (4 Viewers)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
pbillabong said:
Kujah said:
so is cytokines the general name covering both interleukines and chemokines, or do they all have a seperate role?

cytokines are a group of signalling compounds made of proteins used for communication between cells. Interleukins are the type of cytokine secreted by Helper T cells. Chemokines is the same as cytokine from my knowledge

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
Question: Haemoglobin; does it increase oxygen carrying capacity by 200 or 100 times (compared to equivilant volume of dissolved oxygen). I have conflicting info.
it increases it by 100 times.
so 0.2ml/100ml turns into 20ml/100ml

Lordie

HSC
Heh. You guys are going into way too much detail with some of this stuff.

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
Lordie said:
Heh. You guys are going into way too much detail with some of this stuff.

lol yeh ive realised this aswell...half the things people talk about i havent even learnt in class...like the really detailed parts of the kidney tubules and all that...but i guess its doesnt hurt to know more...better than knowing too little

pbillabong

HSC
imqt said:
pbillabong said:
cytokines are a group of signalling compounds made of proteins used for communication between cells. Interleukins are the type of cytokine secreted by Helper T cells. Chemokines is the same as cytokine from my knowledge
thanx :)

Lordie

HSC
imqt said:
lol yeh ive realised this aswell...half the things people talk about i havent even learnt in class...like the really detailed parts of the kidney tubules and all that...but i guess its doesnt hurt to know more...better than knowing too little
For sure. :) However it is off putting reading all these unknown words. Eek. However, I've done all the past HSCs since 2001, and these things have never really needed to be known. Heh. Maybe you guys are just trying to scare the rest of us?

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
Lordie said:
For sure. :) However it is off putting reading all these unknown words. Eek. However, I've done all the past HSCs since 2001, and these things have never really needed to be known. Heh. Maybe you guys are just trying to scare the rest of us?
lol after reading peoples answers ive felt kinda intimidated aswell lol...and yeh im in the process of doing past questions now...they give only so much lines, and i often have to make my answers brief excluding other info.

dolbinau

HSC
Lordie said:
I know what you mean. Like that discussion about synonyms for interleukins. But some people just include as much detail as needed to ensure full marks :p.

If the answers in the HSC Success One are good enough for full marks people are going into wayyy to much detail :p.

Justina

HSC
Needed help with these questions from the 2001 HSC:

-> Q28 (Blueprint) Evaluate the impact of major advances in scientific understanding and technology in the field of genetics, on developments in reproductive technologies. (8 marks)

Can't think of enough stuff to fill up a page

-> Q31. d) (Genetics option) In your study of Genetics - The Code Broken? you performed a first-hand investigation to model the processes involved in meiosis that relate to linkage. Justify the procedure used and the conclusions drawn. (6 marks)

For that question in class we played around with pipe cleaners an paper clips....i don't get how to justify the procedure....i don't even think we had a proper procedure :uhoh:

-> Q31. e) (Genetics option) Explain why the aims of the HGP could NOT be achieved by studying linkage maps. (7 marks)

Genetics suck >.<

Any help is appreciated =)

obiman

HSC
yup way to much because they dont actually know what they are talking about but r just copy paste from internet so they can post their own uestion up. well thats what i like to think and probably is true so dont worry and yes success one suggested anwser would be enough for full marks

Lordie

HSC
dolbinau said:
I know what you mean. Like that discussion about synonyms for interleukins. But some people just include as much detail as needed to ensure full marks :p.

If the answers in the HSC Success One are good enough for full marks people are going into wayyy to much detail :p.
Indeed! I try and remember the answers given in Success One to those questions that seem to be asked every year, or second year. You know the ones I mean, questions on why it's important to remove Carbon Dioxide from the blood, the adaptive advantage of Haemoglobin, Enantiostasis, Homeostasis, etc heh.

danz90

HSC
imqt said:
i initially thought that....but they are asexual reproducers with no genetic diverisity....i just dont know how you could write an answer. 4 marks worth with 12 lines.... your answer would be considered incorrect

lol crap totally ignored the asexual part.

then like dolbinau said, it would have no effect on genetic diversity.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
omfg.

from the 2005 paper:
Qu. 27

"The influenza virus has a high rate of mutation which can lead to changes of the viral surface antigens that contain protein.
Analyse the impact of high mutation rates for this virus and the implications for human health."

Just to let you know, they give us one and 3/4 pages of lines to fill. 8 marks worth.

I got lost reading the question after the word influenza. hah... please dont repeat something like this in the exam bos. i didnt even study influenza LOL

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Perpetrator alert :eek: I guess so, but the Biology sub does really give the opportunity to explore a bit. But in the exam, just clear and concise considering the amount of lines given.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
gloworm14 said:
omfg.

from the 2005 paper:
Qu. 27

"The influenza virus has a high rate of mutation which can lead to changes of the viral surface antigens that contain protein.
Analyse the impact of high mutation rates for this virus and the implications for human health."

Just to let you know, they give us one and 3/4 pages of lines to fill. 8 marks worth.

I got lost reading the question after the word influenza. hah... please dont repeat something like this in the exam bos. i didnt even study influenza LOL
Relate natural selection, vaccinations, T and B lymphocytes specific response (and how they have to change constantly in response to influenza), the need for frequent changes in vaccinations and diagnosis due to the changing nature of influenza viruses (due to changes in antigens), impact on health costs, community and economy.

But gosh, 1 3/4 pages :O

dolbinau

HSC
Needed help with these questions from the 2001 HSC:

-> Q28 (Blueprint) Evaluate the impact of major advances in scientific understanding and technology in the field of genetics, on developments in reproductive technologies. (8 marks)
For this one, have you talked about knowledge of genetics and inheritence from Mendel and Sutton/Boveri? Understanding of natural selection/evolution (to apply to artificial selection), then I'd apply this - and the specific technologies involved in cloning and trasgenic species (e.g Recombinant DNA, Ti Plasmid insertion, Microinjection, Gene gun for the latter) to show how the technologies have allowed the reproductive technologies to develop (also talk about Artificial pollination/insemination. I guess you could even say basic things like Microscopes so we observed Meiosis.

B

bekmay

obiman said:
yup way to much because they dont actually know what they are talking about but r just copy paste from internet so they can post their own uestion up. well thats what i like to think and probably is true so dont worry and yes success one suggested anwser would be enough for full marks
um no. we just use our brains unlike others :/

dolbinau

HSC
Mongoz said:
i hate bio rite now
can some plz briefli explaie
2nd line defences
BRIEFLYYY what they are and what they do
much appreciateddd
2nd line are defense adaptations which are non-specific attempts to neutralize an antigen (instead of keep it from entering the body like 1st line or attack at specific antigens like 3rd line).

So, from the syllabus they are:

* inflammation
*phagocytosis
*lymph system
*cell death to seal off pathogen

There are good descriptions here:

http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/biology/core/better_health/9_4_4/944net.html#net3

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
success one biology is really really helpful imo.
ive already gone through thoroughly all the questions from the papers in maintaining a balance and blueprint of life + it gives really good answers that arent too difficult at all to understand.

now onto search for a better health + communication =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)