• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nexttttt (3 Viewers)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Mongoz said:
i hate bio rite now
can some plz briefli explaie
2nd line defences
BRIEFLYYY what they are and what they do
much appreciateddd
Inflammation - our blood vessels near the infection site dilate and become more permeable, allowing phagocytes, repairing materials (for a lack of a better name :S) and heat to be brought in to attempt to destroy the pathogens/antigens.

Phagocytes- WBCs that go around and engulf foreign bodies.

Lymph System- drainage system; lymph nodes possess phagocytes that help destroy antigens that are present within fluids that enter the lymph system. You also have T and B lymphocytes as well.

Cell death- If the body decides that its better off to sacrifice an area of cells, it'll program the cells to die. You can get clusters of dead tissue with WBCs to seal off the area.

Remember its non-specific.

hoochiscrazy

HSC
gloworm14 said:
omfg.

from the 2005 paper:
Qu. 27

"The influenza virus has a high rate of mutation which can lead to changes of the viral surface antigens that contain protein.
Analyse the impact of high mutation rates for this virus and the implications for human health."

Just to let you know, they give us one and 3/4 pages of lines to fill. 8 marks worth.

I got lost reading the question after the word influenza. hah... please dont repeat something like this in the exam bos. i didnt even study influenza LOL

Yeah dont need to talk about influenza its just their for a sort of explanation or stimulus.

dolbinau

HSC
gloworm14 said:
success one biology is really really helpful imo.
ive already gone through thoroughly all the questions from the papers in maintaining a balance and blueprint of life + it gives really good answers that arent too difficult at all to understand.

now onto search for a better health + communication =)
I've done the same. It's how I basically learnt the communication option and medical physics option (from physics)

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
obiman said:
yup way to much because they dont actually know what they are talking about but r just copy paste from internet so they can post their own uestion up. well thats what i like to think and probably is true so dont worry and yes success one suggested anwser would be enough for full marks

um thats stupid, really it is...sorry you cannot use your own brain
btw HSC SUCCESS ONE suggested answers are not sufficient and often dont answer the question efficiently enough

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
GUYS whats an example of a animal that has been genetically modified? its the same as trangenic species isnt it?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
was it just me and my class that found it immaturely funny when the teacher first said phagocyte out loud?

anyways,

started reading notes on search for a better health.

found that most of the beginning points like cleanliness of food,water, personal hygiene was fairly straight common sense.

i think ill have trouble:
remembering the differences between the pathogens.
remembering historical development of cause and prevention of malaria.

B

bekmay

Justina said:
Needed help with these questions from the 2001 HSC:

-> Q28 (Blueprint) Evaluate the impact of major advances in scientific understanding and technology in the field of genetics, on developments in reproductive technologies. (8 marks)

Can't think of enough stuff to fill up a page

-> Q31. d) (Genetics option) In your study of Genetics - The Code Broken? you performed a first-hand investigation to model the processes involved in meiosis that relate to linkage. Justify the procedure used and the conclusions drawn. (6 marks)

For that question in class we played around with pipe cleaners an paper clips....i don't get how to justify the procedure....i don't even think we had a proper procedure :uhoh:

-> Q31. e) (Genetics option) Explain why the aims of the HGP could NOT be achieved by studying linkage maps. (7 marks)

Genetics suck >.<

Any help is appreciated =)
hm with your first genetics question, the investigation one, i guess you could justify it by saying that it showed us the difference between linkage and non-lnkage? we came to the conclusion that crossing over significantly increases the possibility of greater variety in gametes. but i don't know if that addresses the whole justify thing. that word seems out of place i don't like it LOL. oh and maybe you could say something about how it encourages us to think about how crossing over isn't even considered in non-linked genes?

um and with the second genetics q. maybe could talk about how, although linkage maps were used early on in the first stage of the HGP procedures- genetic mapping- it only revealed to scientists the relative position of genes and not their absolute positions.

dolbinau

HSC
gloworm14 said:
was it just me and my class that found it immaturely funny when the teacher first said phagocyte out loud?

anyways,

found that most of the beginning points like cleanliness of food,water, personal hygiene was fairly straight common sense.

For Malaria. , I have easy things to remember (stolen from this thread)

19th century - Sir Patrick Manson discovered mosquitoes can carry worms and hypothesised mosquitoes might be the vector for malaria

19th century - Ronald Ross discovered Anopheles Mosquito was the transmission of malaria

Early 20th century - synthetic quinine used to treat

WWII - Chloroquine used to treat

Mid 20th century - WHO used DDT to destroy swamps

General dates, little names. Hopefully it's enough

Kujah

HSC
N/A
imqt said:
GUYS whats an example of a animal that has been genetically modified? its the same as trangenic species isnt it?
I guess you could use transgenic species as an example.

Lymph systems transport tissue fluid away from the cells towards the heart. Your lymph system has lymph nodes, that contain phagocytes and produce lymphocytes. If there are pathogens within the tissue fluid, WBCs will engulf and destroy foreign materials. Thats why your lymph nodes near your neck, armpits or groin can become swollen if infection sets in.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
bekmay said:
um no. we just use our brains unlike others :/
+1 and tbh, some of the answers in success one are pretty shitty. I dont think theyd get full marks (and if they do, I feel surprisingly confident going into this exam)

B

bekmay

gloworm14 said:

anyways,

ah omg me toooo i cannot for the life of me make their differences stick in my brain, along with examples (especially how to spell them) etc etc.

Lordie

HSC
dolbinau said:
For Malaria. , I have easy things to remember (stolen from this thread)

19th century - Sir Patrick Manson discovered mosquitoes can carry worms and hypothesised mosquitoes might be the vector for malaria

19th century - Ronald Ross discovered Anopheles Mosquito was the transmission of malaria

Early 20th century - synthetic quinine used to treat

WWII - Chloroquine used to treat

Mid 20th century - WHO used DDT to destroy swamps

General dates, little names. Hopefully it's enough
That's plenty.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
The chromosomes/meiosis bit - yuck!

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
bekmay said:
ah omg me toooo i cannot for the life of me make their differences stick in my brain, along with examples (especially how to spell them) etc etc.
yep.
and remembering which ones are non cellular, uni cellular, eucaryotic, unicellular eucaryotic... omg LOL

frogbutt

Ugliest Member
HSC
syriangabsta said:
So, biology is next on the list for my exams! i hope to expect people are posting heaps of questions on biology!! (as this is a good form of study for me!)

I cant wait for bio, its the easiest subject ever imo and i will denature the crap out of it. anyone else feeling that way? :D
there's alot you can bullshit, such as questions that are more logic e.g. about diffusion concentration gradient, material transport in plants, communication, endo/ectothermic animals etc.

However there are some rote-learny bits that are really hard. Such as the cell-mediated and antibody-mediated immune response processes and DNA replication and meiosis specifics. I've gotta nail them sometime before the exam and that's always hard.

dolbinau

HSC
what is the role of DNA polymerase in DNA replication? (this is for my own learning, lol)

Justina

HSC
dolbinau said:
For this one, have you talked about knowledge of genetics and inheritence from Mendel and Sutton/Boveri? Understanding of natural selection/evolution (to apply to artificial selection), then I'd apply this - and the specific technologies involved in cloning and trasgenic species (e.g Recombinant DNA, Ti Plasmid insertion, Microinjection, Gene gun for the latter) to show how the technologies have allowed the reproductive technologies to develop (also talk about Artificial pollination/insemination. I guess you could even say basic things like Microscopes so we observed Meiosis.
Ok, right - thanks for that =)

Another thing really quickly.....i know this is really basic, but can anyone sum up Sutton/Boveri's contribution - just something really brief and straight to the point.
I know it's to do with the Chromosomal theory of inheritence, but what is it and how did they come up with it?

hoochiscrazy

HSC
dolbinau said:
what is the role of DNA polymerase in DNA replication? (this is for my own learning, lol)
Pretty much just an enzyme that speeds up the part where nucleotides join to the single strands of DNA.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
It helps to attach the free nucleotide bases (that are complementary to the exposed single DNA strand) together and builds the strand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)