Kujah

HSC
N/A
Reproductive technologies. It's as interesting as watching grass grow :/

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
For Malaria. , I have easy things to remember (stolen from this thread)

19th century - Sir Patrick Manson discovered mosquitoes can carry worms and hypothesised mosquitoes might be the vector for malaria

19th century - Ronald Ross discovered Anopheles Mosquito was the transmission of malaria

Early 20th century - synthetic quinine used to treat

WWII - Chloroquine used to treat

Mid 20th century - WHO used DDT to destroy swamps

General dates, little names. Hopefully it's enough
it says in my notes that :

1897- Ross discovered 'plasmodium' was the cause of malaria

1898- Grassi was the one that discovered that malaria was transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito

can someone verify?

gcmk

HSC
gloworm14 said:

1898- Grassi was the one that discovered that malaria was transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito

can someone verify?
yes you're correct, Grassi named the female Anopheles mosquito as the vector. Ross discovered plasmodium as the cause of malaria by dissecting stomach of mosquito and explained the complete lifecycle of plasmodium.

dolbinau

HSC
I think that's right. Thanks for catching if we are asked this in the exam I definitely owe you :p.

hoochiscrazy

HSC
gloworm14 said:

can someone verify?
Heres some notes on the historical developments

4 BC: Greeks thought that the symptoms of malaria were caused by either breathing in marsh vapours or bites of insects that live in marshes
1880: Laveran observed micro-organisms in fresh blood from malarial patients and suggested that malaria was caused by this micro-organisms
1886: Golgi observed asexual reproduction of microbe in blood of patients
1894: Patrick Manson proposed that malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes
1898: Grassi discovered that malaria was transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito.
1897-1899: Ronald Ross established that the protozoan Plasmodium was the cause of malaria, winning the Nobel Prize.
Early 20th: Treatments of malaria were developed, including anti-malarial drugs such as quinine. Efforts to stop the spread of malaria include using DDT to kill the disease vector – the mosquito.
Today: Resistance to quinine and other drugs by the Plasmodium, as well as DDT resistance by the mosquitoes has become a problem. Development of a malarial vaccine is the main direction research is going.

dolbinau

HSC
Does anyone have good notes on the historical development of evolution? That's the other one I need..

gcmk

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
Heres some notes on the historical developments

4 BC: Greeks thought that the symptoms of malaria were caused by either breathing in marsh vapours or bites of insects that live in marshes
1880: Laveran observed micro-organisms in fresh blood from malarial patients and suggested that malaria was caused by this micro-organisms
1886: Golgi observed asexual reproduction of microbe in blood of patients
1894: Patrick Manson proposed that malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes
1898: Grassi discovered that malaria was transmitted by the Anopheles mosquito.
1897-1899: Ronald Ross established that the protozoan Plasmodium was the cause of malaria, winning the Nobel Prize.
Early 20th: Treatments of malaria were developed, including anti-malarial drugs such as quinine. Efforts to stop the spread of malaria include using DDT to kill the disease vector – the mosquito.
Today: Resistance to quinine and other drugs by the Plasmodium, as well as DDT resistance by the mosquitoes has become a problem. Development of a malarial vaccine is the main direction research is going.
are we expected to know every development?

pooja_107

HSC
I AM SOOOOO CONFUSED.....does any1 know what the hell the law of segregation and the law of independant assortment is???? IN SIMPLE TERMS??? and how does law of segregation lead to variability???????????????????

hoochiscrazy

HSC
gcmk said:
are we expected to know every development?
probably most of it if its and 8 mark question. guess it depends of the question. But its in the syllabus so they could ask it.

Can probably generalise it thou like 1890's Manson discovered etc etc and Golgi discovered....

Last edited:

hoochiscrazy

HSC
pooja_107 said:
I AM SOOOOO CONFUSED.....does any1 know what the hell the law of segregation and the law of independant assortment is???? IN SIMPLE TERMS??? and how does law of segregation lead to variability???????????????????
Law of segregation=law of independant assortment? not sure :/

Law of segregation has to do with meiosis and when the homologous pairs line up in the middle of the cell before they split their position is random therefore leading to increased variation. To understand it to a great deal need to know about meiosis.

Heres a couple of links to some good you tube videos describing the process.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=R_LUJSqeSrI&feature=related
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=paxUih-NMcw&feature=related

Still got questions?

Last edited:

ellie44

HSC
Communication:
~define the term ‘threshold’ and explain why not all stimuli generate an action potential...

I have no idea why I've never even heard of this....I dont see it any where in my notes or text book and googling sure didn't help much either lol. Can anyone help me out here? :) thanks...

oh btw are we supposed to learn innate and learned behaviours of animals?

hoochiscrazy

HSC
ellie44 said:
Communication:
~define the term ‘threshold’ and explain why not all stimuli generate an action potential...

I have no idea why I've never even heard of this....I dont see it any where in my notes or text book and googling sure didn't help much either lol. Can anyone help me out here? :) thanks...

oh btw are we supposed to learn innate and learned behaviours of animals?

A threshold is the minimum stimulus required to generate a pesonse in the nerve cell.
Without a minimum threshold, nerves would respond too readily to all incoming stimuli. The reaction will only occur if a stimulus is of sufficient magnitude to pass the threshold. not all stimulus will generate a response but any stimulus that do will generate identical action potentials. this is the 'all or nothing' response. Unless the threshold is passed the action potential will not fire. The intensity of stimulus is recorded by the rapid firing of all neurones not by a greater or lesser action potential.

As for your other question i dont think so. doesnt say anything like that in the syllabus does it? And havnt come across it in any text books.

Takuto

HSC
Q: Old age is not a disease. Discuss the difficulties in defining the terms health and disease.

5 marker from past HSC

dont think anyone has covered this yet =]

hoochiscrazy

HSC
Takuto said:
Q: Old age is not a disease. Discuss the difficulties in defining the terms health and disease.

5 marker from past HSC

dont think anyone has covered this yet =]
gez 5 marks.

Health is not simple the absense of disease but a combination of the health components e.g physical, emotional, socially that perform in a coordinated funtion. Very subjective which is where it becomes difficult in defining for example a person who has diabetes is going to have a different perspective of being healthly than just a normal person.
Disease is a state of impaired function but depends of the normal level of functioning and what they expect their life quality to be for example some one in Iraq or Afganistan is going to have a different perspective on what there life quality is going to be compared to an australian citizen.

Any1 got any question on practicals that have been in the HSC?

Takuto

HSC
nice

Q: You performed a first-hand investigation to demonstrate the effect of dissolved carbon dioxide on the pH of water.

Outline your method, identifying the variables AND account for how you ensured the reliability of your data

(1/2 page, 5 marks)

Q: Discuss a first-hand investigation used to estimate the size of red blood cells on a prepared microscope slide

Include: list of equipment used, safety precaution, step-by-step method, a scaled diagram of a red blood cell

and... the other one like 20 pages back which was asking you to test the rate of reaction of two enzymes

hoochiscrazy

HSC
Takuto said:
I'd choose a prac thats not been mentioned yet and do a test run :p

Yeah so the questions just basically know method some general safety precautions and variables and control/ equipment ect ect hmm if i would have to hav a guess model natural selection, kidney disection or enzymes one although that one would be a massive question so it may just ask for temp or pH or substrate []

Takuto

HSC
hoochiscrazy said:
Yeah so the questions just basically know method some general safety precautions and variables and control/ equipment ect ect hmm if i would have to hav a guess model natural selection, kidney disection or enzymes one although that one would be a massive question so it may just ask for temp or pH or substrate []
they havent asked it before, so i dunno

experiments rarely come up

you're gonna have to take a big guess

but thats pretty much it. you'd want to know reliability, validity, accuracy cause they seem to add that on

Takuto

HSC
Oh yeah, whats 'BT Cotton', someone mentioned it a few pages back

lol is it a transgenic species?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)