Night before studier? (1 Viewer)

neeksy45

HSC
haha definetely, i don't feel the pressure enough to study until hours before.
I've given myself this mindset that I am not good enough anyway, so why bother trying? which is pretty bad for me really.haha
English used to be my best AND most hated subject in yr 10, now it is my most hated and not the best anymore.haha.

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Well right now im wasting time on BOS and i probably will tonight aswell but in between all that im going to do one full past paper, and then look at several past papers and draw up reasonably detailed outlines to do get more practice adapting my knowledge to suit the question. I'm also contuously going over my quotes and various visual techniques for section 1.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Shhhh, you're making me feel awful =p

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
lol don't worry english will be my worst subject... but then again I always say that and for some reason in exams i always get questions that really suit me.

rhirhi66

HSC
Yeah i only started studying today.:lol: I've also gotten it in my head that i'm gonna go shit no matter what i do now..left it too late lol. I used to be a really good student with good marks. now i don't wanna go to uni till i'm atleast 21 anyway. So yeah..i don't give a fuck about the HSC woo

Js^-1

No tengo pantelonès
HSC
Hmmm, i haven't started studying yet...

Tomorow is going to be an interesting day...

lucex0x

HSC
I spent all last night studying for business - 4 hours sleep. Just got home, watched some TV and ate lunch and now gotta start studying for English. A story to memorise and an essay to write and then memorise :mad1: Another late night.

But then I look back and remember all those days that my friends were studying and I was out having fun...haha.

mowerrr

HSC
I'm utterly screwed with CAFS
not even gonna try =_=''

macca2410

HSC
im so not ready for english. im not confident in it. i cant cncentrate long ebnough on it to start, especailly essays. tryed to do a practise for aos, got 2 lines and got writers block. stupid english.

Looking for uai 70+ but not too fussed cause i have 3 apprenticeship possibilties lined up.

time to try again, good luck people, its not the end of the world

Maystar

HSC
lucidassembly said:
Firstly, you bolded me :D
Of course. it wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Troll is quite a nice word, i agree ;)
I hate that feeling. I tend to give myself unrealistic standards which I know I can never reach, so I can give myself a reason to feel horribly guilty. A little masochistic actually lol, but that's beside the point. I've always been insanely jealous of people who believe they're great at what they do.
Careful with that. I know people who think they're great at what they do. But they really.......aren't. Those that really do well are interesting. You might think they would all have the same personality but they can be quite polar. Still, I wish I had the self-confidence they had.

My fear of failure has consistently meant that I always do worse when it really counts.
Same for me...it's really unfortunate. But I think, with a little help, I convinced myself that I'll be ok this time round. I only believe that half the time though. I lost sleep over this last night. (Business went pretty well though, I think :s)

I was doing great this entire year, but I freaked out for the trials and kind of messed them up. I told myself I wouldn't do the same thing for the hsc, but I'm sure you can guess how that turned out. It always seems like its easier to deal with failure if you didn't try your hardest (because, of course, you can tell yourself that you probably could have done well!) than if you genuinely tried and failed anyway. (Why is this becoming more personal than conversations I have with my classmates? :p)
Not the same story as mine...I basically messed up this whole year. Well, it's not bad. But I could have done better and I know it. The other thing is I just don't handle pressure well, during the exam itself. Today I was hardly fussed though, once I actually started on the exam. Hmm. Nice :) I think that dealing with failure by not trying hardest thing happened to me, except subconsciously, so I only realised it a few weeks ago. And it's more personal because if you talked to your classmates about it you think they might laugh at you, but I can't laugh at you properly so that makes it ok. or you like me

(My sincere apologies if I'm currently distracting you by the way lol. Feel free to tell me to sod off at any time :) ) No matter what we do, I think we'll always feel somehow unprepared. No matter how much study I've done, I've never felt confident going into an exam in my entire life. A teacher once asked me if I was "pumped and ready", and I almost laughed!
I would have said that, but I had to run off and cram anyway :p. The same applies to you. And there's no way I am ever going to feel prepared for tomorrow, I just have to confide in the fact that nobody else does either....which is not untrue.

Yeah, with you again. I honestly don't think it's going to sink in for me until maybe late next year :p And actually... what you said will be pretty much verbatim for me lol.
Make sure you get it on tape!

BOS always makes me feel a little better, I do agree.
I think it makes me feel better too...but I haven't been here long. Joined in July or something but didn't start until a couple days ago.

My first preference is actually 96 too, so technically, we are indeed competing! I have to ask what course you want to do :p
Oh, YOU'RE ON! But given your subjects, I can't say it's very likely we're going for the same course....

English has freaked me out for the past two years. Always my central source of trauma, because an essay or story can always be made better. I swear, if I could somehow replace my brain with a logical, rational and moderately normal one in terms of expectations, I'd give my right arm for the opportunity!
Yet you chose to do 4 units of it...I know others like that and it perplexes me. Ahh well :)
Maths
logical! --------yes
rational! ------yes
normal! --------fail

'Highly strenuous circus with a revolving door' = :rofl: Truly, truly brilliant. Hey, I'm sure even we'll get a good laugh out of this in 10 years time. Here's hoping anyway :eek:

(Ok. So I think I may have rambled a wee bit too much. I need to stop writing minature essays on BOS and save them for friday!)
Bah, thanks, glad you liked it. Will I still be on this forum in 10 years? Yeah :rolleyes: provided the internet doesnt blow up.

Good luck sister!

lucidassembly

HSC
Maystar said:
Careful with that. I know people who think they're great at what they do. But they really.......aren't. Those that really do well are interesting. You might think they would all have the same personality but they can be quite polar. Still, I wish I had the self-confidence they had.
Lol yeah, I'm certainly not encouraging ignorant egotism. And I know what you mean. I've found that it's often the people that do the best who are the most insecure. After the HSC, I'm sure we'll both have time to work on our self-confidence issues :) Not to mention, there's uni where we can both become invisible blips in the back of the lecture hall! Teachers have already warned me about how different uni is... lecturers apparently don't care if you study or not. Either way, it's your reward or problem. Not too personable, but it seems fair enough.

Maystar said:
Same for me...it's really unfortunate. But I think, with a little help, I convinced myself that I'll be ok this time round. I only believe that half the time though. I lost sleep over this last night. (Business went pretty well though, I think :s)
That's great to hear :) Was it generally harder or easier than you anticipated? I'm hoping that since we're the biggest cohort yet, they'll want our year to be very successful lol.

If you think you'll be ok, odds are that you will. It's a hassle attempting to drill positivity into your brain, but it's nice when it finally sticks. I tend to oscillate pretty frequently between "I've studied less and done ok before... this will be fine" and asking people to point me in the direction of the nearest bridge. It'll probably make for some amusing memories though!

Maystar said:
Not the same story as mine...I basically messed up this whole year. Well, it's not bad. But I could have done better and I know it. The other thing is I just don't handle pressure well, during the exam itself. Today I was hardly fussed though, once I actually started on the exam. Hmm. Nice :) I think that dealing with failure by not trying hardest thing happened to me, except subconsciously, so I only realised it a few weeks ago. And it's more personal because if you talked to your classmates about it you think they might laugh at you, but I can't laugh at you properly so that makes it ok. or you like me
Don't you love those epiphanies that come to you just after you realise you're kinda screwed? :rolleyes: Yay for surprising calmness though! It would have been a nice way to start the HSC. Haha, you can't "properly" laugh? Is that implying that you're still laughing, albeit not properly? Yeah, I might like you a little :p

Maystar said:
I would have said that, but I had to run off and cram anyway :p. The same applies to you. And there's no way I am ever going to feel prepared for tomorrow, I just have to confide in the fact that nobody else does either....which is not untrue. I think it makes me feel better too...but I haven't been here long. Joined in July or something but didn't start until a couple days ago.
I think it would comfort everyone to know that they're not the only one's doing night-before studying (thus the very existence of this thread actually). There's something much more pleasant about failing together than doing it on your own lol. I lurked on BOS for ages with an old account (which I've since forgotten the password for!), but I haven't been posting for too long either.

Maystar said:
Oh, YOU'RE ON! But given your subjects, I can't say it's very likely we're going for the same course....
You never know... I'll have to take a maths (and possibly science) bridging course for mine. I'm sure it's fairly obvious considering our rather analytic discussion of failure, but I'm hoping for psych :)

Maystar said:
Yet you chose to do 4 units of it...I know others like that and it perplexes me. Ahh well :)
Maths
logical! --------yes
rational! ------yes
normal! --------fail
Oh no, maths is even more excruciating! I used to be good at it, but after getting 47% in an exam a few years ago, the emotional scarring was too great lol. It completely doesn't work with my brain anymore :p The bridging course should be much fun! I'll definitely need to hire my mathematically-inclined friends as tutors.

Maystar said:
Bah, thanks, glad you liked it. Will I still be on this forum in 10 years? Yeah :rolleyes: provided the internet doesnt blow up.

Good luck sister!
If the internet ever does blow up, my life might actually cease to exist. I'd say I'll be on this forum until at least 75 :rolleyes:

Best of luck for tomorrow! (Last time we'll ever have to write the word 'journey'... I can finally die happy.)

Maystar

HSC
lucidassembly said:
Lol yeah, I'm certainly not encouraging ignorant egotism. And I know what you mean. I've found that it's often the people that do the best who are the most insecure. After the HSC, I'm sure we'll both have time to work on our self-confidence issues :) Not to mention, there's uni where we can both become invisible blips in the back of the lecture hall! Teachers have already warned me about how different uni is... lecturers apparently don't care if you study or not. Either way, it's your reward or problem. Not too personable, but it seems fair enough.
YES. I'm looking forward to that. A LOT. There's this one particular guy I'm thinking of who does well...I don't know how to explain him. How about you put a squirrel in a centrifuge, then let it out for a bit? Mm, something like that. But Uni's going to be a very welcome, and I think well-earned change.

That's great to hear :) Was it generally harder or easier than you anticipated? I'm hoping that since we're the biggest cohort yet, they'll want our year to be very successful lol.
I just went in hoping I was prepared for whatever I got, and I think I was. I did expect there to be a more equitable distribution of content though...I mean, there was a lot of employment relations in there compared to everything else. In hindsight I would say it was fairly easy, but in hind-hindsight there's an intense debate going on in the business forum about a couple of the multiple choice questions. I did poke my nose in there, but I'm staying out of it until at least the 4th of November (my last exam). Just have to wait and see. As for English...I've basically given up studying for it, I just don't know how. It's not knowledge, it's just words. Oh well...it's over soon.

If you think you'll be ok, odds are that you will. It's a hassle attempting to drill positivity into your brain, but it's nice when it finally sticks. I tend to oscillate pretty frequently between "I've studied less and done ok before... this will be fine" and asking people to point me in the direction of the nearest bridge. It'll probably make for some amusing memories though!
Agreed there. Except I live on the 3rd floor, so it's probably more dangerous for me.

Don't you love those epiphanies that come to you just after you realise you're kinda screwed? :rolleyes: Yay for surprising calmness though! It would have been a nice way to start the HSC. Haha, you can't "properly" laugh? Is that implying that you're still laughing, albeit not properly? Yeah, I might like you a little :p
Yeah, but I'm at the point where I tried so hard that I know there's nothing I can do about it if I'm screwed or not. I'm too stressed to retain anything I study now...and there's nothing to study anyway, I just don't get this whole English thing. Which in an abstract way means I'm calm, because it's like, so be it, there's no point being stressed. But on the contrary, there's that artificial importance placed on the HSC thing. (There, analyse that!) Ooh la la.

I think it would comfort everyone to know that they're not the only one's doing night-before studying (thus the very existence of this thread actually). There's something much more pleasant about failing together than doing it on your own lol. I lurked on BOS for ages with an old account (which I've since forgotten the password for!), but I haven't been posting for too long either.
True...except I'm not studying, I'm here :p. Well, I think I'll hop into bed now and just read my notes until I fall asleep. It's all I can do.

You never know... I'll have to take a maths (and possibly science) bridging course for mine. I'm sure it's fairly obvious considering our rather analytic discussion of failure, but I'm hoping for psych :)
I was thinking about psych for a bit. (That's almost a pun.) But I decided not to, for a reason which is not completely understood to me. All I know is that my mum had a significant part in it. What uni specifically?

Oh no, maths is even more excruciating! I used to be good at it, but after getting 47% in an exam a few years ago, the emotional scarring was too great lol. It completely doesn't work with my brain anymore :p The bridging course should be much fun! I'll definitely need to hire my mathematically-inclined friends as tutors.
I just like maths because it works...and it's exactly why I don't like English. Stupid thing is I actually like literature...but English just tears me to pieces. Not the kind of thing I'm about to talk about the night before though.

If the internet ever does blow up, my life might actually cease to exist. I'd say I'll be on this forum until at least 75 :rolleyes:

Best of luck for tomorrow! (Last time we'll ever have to write the word 'journey'... I can finally die happy.)
If the internet did blow up, I think we'd all be dead anyway :p
Oh same to you!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
^^holy god, both your bullshitting skills are up to speed alright, lol, should be fine tomorrow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)