NMSS - National Mathematics Summer School (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
If anyone from BOS is going, just drop us a PM or reply to this thread, I'm tutoring there for the January 2006 camp.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for the thread.

Oh, be warned, the master of all things maths in my year [Julian Gibbons] will be there tutoring as well.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Be warned. If you start to being a dick there, the EGs will get you.

Maybe the IGs too.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Was that from experience Templar? What's EG and IG?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
The hatred of Templar is going around. He's not so bad, I mean he DID return my textbooks. But he's been making veiled threats about someone making my time there miserable. The dolt.

NMSS - National Mathematics Summer School. It's from the 8th of Jan to the 21st, held at Bruce Hall at the ANU [Australian National University], lectures are in a different location [conveniently far far away from Bruce Hall]

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The lectures are at Manning Clarke.

On second thought, having to put up with Bruce Hall food for two weeks is sufficient punishment enough. I'll tell the EGs to say hi to you instead.

And remember rules of mafia...you must kill or lynch people named Tom at the first available opportunity. Otherwise the game will stale, just like in 2005. We had one game that took hours since nobody wanted to lynch anyone.

Last edited:

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
You're kidding me, right? Hours for 1 game? So not worth it.

Anyways, I'm a tutor, apparently I'll be working 18 hour days. That's going to be hectic. And I'm staff, which means I can't be an asshole. So annoying.

But I'm so stoked that I got invited back.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I haven't been able to get in contact with that giant piece of ... mathematical genius?

How did you get him?

[P.S. Can you intro me to some of the EG's at the reunion?]

IG - Inexperienced group: Usually just finished year 11, just starting year 12

EG - Experienced group: Went to NMSS in the previous year and were invited back, usually just starting uni/finishing school

Tutor - At least 2 years past being an EG or 3 years past being an IG, invited back to tutor 8-10 IGs during their tutoring sessions [and apparently lots of other stuff]

Lecturer - Guest of the Triad who were invited to lecture on interesting topics.

The Triad - One of whom is Terry

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I'll introduce you to the EGs...if they turn up to next reunion. Just be aware there is a more even distribution than my NSW biased year.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Would I have missed out on much not going? Besides having a few years cut off my having-not-known-Templar years (or Templar-not-knowing-me years would be better). ;)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
Would I have missed out on much not going? Besides having a few years cut off my having-not-known-Templar years (or Templar-not-knowing-me years would be better). ;)
I've known you since AMOC school back in year 10. And yes, you did miss out on a lot. Look at how excited Keypad is just to return as a tutor. Being a student is way more fun.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
KeypadSDM said:
Oh, be warned, the master of all things maths in my year [Julian Gibbons] will be there tutoring as well.
Just out of interest, how many subjects is he the master at? Master of all trades?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
omg u lucky bastard keypad...

but then again, ur result is there to prove ur worthiness...

lol julian will be there too!!! hehe omg the smartest... man i so wish to be an IG to see how u tutor...

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xiao1985 said:
lol julian will be there too!!! hehe omg the smartest... man i so wish to be an IG to see how u tutor...
Just like every other NMSS tutor.

Student: So what is the solution?
Tutor: So, what is the solution?/What do you think the solution is?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
This year there's been some changes with the triad. Apparently Holly's not coming back:

Big Boss:
Terry Gagen

Rest of the Triad:
Gary Webb
Elizabeth Burns

Lecturers:
Dr Leon Poladin [Score, my hamiltonan lecturer next year]
Dr Ben Burton
Dr David Easdown
Dr Robbie Gates
Dr Tom Korner

Guest Lecturers:
Prof. Richard Hartley, FAA
Jeff Tually
Dr Merryn Horrocks

Some EG's that did well in the HSC:
Brian Leung
Mathematics E2 - 10th

David Ong
History Extension - 2nd
Mathematics E2 - 6th

Linda Tong
Chinese Extension - 3rd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)