NO accommodation (1 Viewer)

clairebear41

HSC
It might work, but when we tried it last year the UAS just told us it wasn’t their problem as they had stuck to their guarantee of getting is Accommodation and that’s it.

I think you guys should stick together and on O week join as many things as you can, that way you won’t be left out and will make enough friends and meet enough people – then just crash at their halls, lol.

But seriously, just be active at O Week joining anything you will enjoy.

I agree guys I think that we should just stick together and think positive It might not be so bad :)

Andi0390

HSC
In all honesty, $160 for a share studio in Belconnen is outrageous.

I lived in Belconnen (share house) - sort of near Westfield in 2008 and paid $160 and got a huge room, ensuite, walk in robe, fully furnished, new kitchen and a pool.

I used to live in Belco for a little and while I guess its not bad its far from a great part of Canberra. Its better than Tuggeranong but I'd much rather live in Inner North, Inner South or even Woden area.

For $150 you could find a nice share place in Dickson, Downer, Watson, Lyneham maybe. Or even out in Narrabundah or something. At least then you could walk to uni or Civic. There are heaps of students there, and many houses are already furnished. I guess now is a real crappy time to look for accommodation, but spending a year sharing a room with someone in Belconnen sounds a lot like hell to me.

I lived in a share place in Campbell with two other students for $130 a week, and it was about 1/2 hour walk to ANU, less to Civic. You can find good flatmates and a good house at a reasonable rate.

I just can't imagine getting through uni sharing a room.

LobbSACS

HSC
Yea i wonder how long my laptop will last if i get a dodgey roomate.

littles123

HSC
Ahh fuck say goodbye to privacy

edit.. gotta stay positive lol sorry people its so tempting to rant

Last edited:

John555

HSC
Ill just be studying and doing assignments at the library. Although I do tend to study until very late (12am-2am). So I hope I can get parking and my room mate is cool with me sneaking in at 12 and stuff.

RB91

HSC
Oh wow. I'm suddenly glad I live in Canberra. FWIW, those at City Gateway, that all you can eat buffet someone mentioned in Dickson is upstairs just past the pub on the corner of Wooley Street. It's kinda dodge, but it's cheap if you eat more than one plate. Though whether ANU would be able to get them to agree to a voucher system is another thing (went there once at lunch in college with a large group. They stared over you and made sure you ate everything on your plate otherwise you were wasting food! Fuck oath.)

You should be set if you like Italian. The Fish and Chips at the takeaway are pretty good. There's also a fresh fruit store there, you can get phone credit, etc. You can probs get most of your day to day stuff in Dickson, for the most part. It's a decent walk to ANU, though.

And yeah, the Dickson shops (the pedestrian area, from Woolies to Cowper street) are pretty dodgy, at day you can at least see the crazies. I'd be careful at night lol haha :)

At least there's a Subway and Civic is a pretty short bus ride away.

Also on the plus side, from your rooms you might even be able to see the window washer dude whose name escapes me at the moment from the Antill/Northbourne intersection. I heard a rumour he was a third year law student at ANU once but he progressed from pot to heroin and now washes car windows every day. That could be bullshit, but you're close enough to ask him!

Haha, welcome to Canberra :)

The whole thing is so freaking crap though. So far they've stuffed up the offer acceptance thing online, the enrolment forms sent out in the packages, and now they're rushing to find accomodation for all the people they're supposed to guaruntee it to.

Can't believe they're putting people in the Carotel.

Last edited:

gingerwitch28

HSC
Wow. I am suddenly thanking my lucky stars that I got into Uni Gardens.

This is so shit for everyone!

yosemite sam

HSC
Agreed. It kept saying we first years outside of ACT have this guarantee and are given priority yada yada yada.
sorry, but were you expecting them to kick out all the second and third year students for you?

John555

HSC
sorry, but were you expecting them to kick out all the second and third year students for you?
No of course not. What I meant is that I have heard of later year students getting offers at places such as UniLodge before first years. ie. an earlier post by moc.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
No of course not. What I meant is that I have heard of later year students getting offers at places such as UniLodge before first years. ie. an earlier post by moc.
I agree, I don't think anyone is saying put second or third years out, but the point is, second and third years have been in Canberra for over a year, they already know the place, people a jobs, so it's not hard to get off their bums and look for a place. For first years it's all new to them.

I'm second year yet got a uni lodge offerm while first years were still waiting, is that fair? I didn't take the offer as I already have a place. But first years should come first.

clairebear41

HSC
I agree, I don't think anyone is saying put second or third years out, but the point is, second and third years have been in Canberra for over a year, they already know the place, people a jobs, so it's not hard to get off their bums and look for a place. For first years it's all new to them.

I'm second year yet got a uni lodge offerm while first years were still waiting, is that fair? I didn't take the offer as I already have a place. But first years should come first.

I second this. I mean sure 2nd and 3rd years should get accommodation but at least they actually get a chance to look for it.

yosemite sam

HSC
I've heard of this too but a lot of them (obviously not all) were transferring from one college to another so there is still a place free at a college for a first year. It does seem like some of us are getting up on our high horses about a situation that no one, students nor UAS, can change though.

littles123

HSC
The UAS can, in future, not guarantee accommodation. They can be honest and say that they will try and house as many as possible. People turn down other university offers and its not right.

gingerwitch28

HSC
The UAS can, in future, not guarantee accommodation. They can be honest and say that they will try and house as many as possible. People turn down other university offers and its not right.
That's true. Even if people's primary interest in ANU is academic, if they're relocating, a first year accomodation guarantee really sweetens the deal. For example, somebody could just choose to live in their hometown for their Bachelor's and then choose to do postgrad at ANU because they then have no need for on-campus accomodation; by that stage you've lived in the real world and gone to uni and the prospect of relocating for PG is not that daunting. That's probably what I would have done had there been no guarantee. Also, they left the whole thing so late that people who could have applied for other courses at other universities for the later rounds (through UAC) then didn't have a chance to - change of preferences for the last round of offers closed on the 4th.

Sultun

Banned
HSC
N/A
Aren't they housing the overflow kids at the Queenbean caravan park? Beats ANU imo.

bobohappy

HSC
hey all thsoe at citigate,

i got a friend who's got an offer at unigardens who wants to switch for a place at citigate, any of you want to trade?????

please pm me, or reply thsi post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)