No Lecture for AHIS140? (1 Viewer)

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi I have noticed that there is no Lecture stream(s) for AHIS140. When I registered for my classes, there was only the option for a tutorial and the official 2012 timetable states that the unit has a structure of Tutorial_1. So there definitely won't be any lectures added? I find this quite odd... I have never had a structured like that before.

I posted a comment on the official Facebook page, and the person that responded stated that there were budget cuts.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi I have noticed that there is no Lecture stream(s) for AHIS140. When I registered for my classes, there was only the option for a tutorial and the official 2012 timetable states that the unit has a structure of Tutorial_1. So there definitely won't be any lectures added? I find this quite odd... I have never had a structured like that before.

I posted a comment on the official Facebook page, and the person that responded stated that there were budget cuts.
Yeah the Arts department is apparently deep in debt, so they'll be holding Lectorials and using online participations to try and shave off their debts. Not happy.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What. The. Dick. I heard about this but didn't know it was actually being implented this year.... How can you possibly have an ancient history unit without lectures, especially AHIS140?! Stephen's lecture on genesis was one of the highlights of my degree, sad to know others won't be able to hear it :(

rahrahreiby

HSC
I was hoping it was just some terrible rumour. I wonder what other AHIS units are doing this too?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I was hoping it was just some terrible rumour. I wonder what other AHIS units are doing this too?
The entire arts faculty from what I've heard will be doing some sort of class cutting

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
The entire arts faculty from what I've heard will be doing some sort of class cutting
Heard about this last semester... massive joke if you ask me. I bet their gonna go on strike again and withhold all our marks soon. But really the university needs to get its act together and devote some resources to its faculties..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Heard about this last semester... massive joke if you ask me. I bet their gonna go on strike again and withhold all our marks soon. But really the university needs to get its act together and devote some resources to its faculties..
Bit of blame on both sides this time, not really privy to the entire situation so I'm loathe to comment on it too far

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Bit of blame on both sides this time, not really privy to the entire situation so I'm loathe to comment on it too far
Both sides? You gotta explain that much at least lol

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Both sides? You gotta explain that much at least lol
Macquarie probably does need to resource a bit better than it's doing at the moment, but the individual Arts departments don't do themselves a huge favour from what I've seen in terms of using their resources in a smart fashion either, so I don't think the debts were totally unexpected.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Macquarie probably does need to resource a bit better than it's doing at the moment, but the individual Arts departments don't do themselves a huge favour from what I've seen in terms of using their resources in a smart fashion either, so I don't think the debts were totally unexpected.
Fair enough :)

emmalinarina_

HSC
N/A
That's crazy, I did AHIS140 in 2010 and it was the biggest class I've ever been in! They had to put us in the biggest lecture theatre in the uni because it was a People/Planet unit and so heaps of people did it. Can I recommend though, if you do do the course, if you end up in a tute with a tutor named Beverely, change classes!

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
That's crazy, I did AHIS140 in 2010 and it was the biggest class I've ever been in! They had to put us in the biggest lecture theatre in the uni because it was a People/Planet unit and so heaps of people did it. Can I recommend though, if you do do the course, if you end up in a tute with a tutor named Beverely, change classes!
What is wrong with Beverely? Is that tutor an asshole or something?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What is wrong with Beverely? Is that tutor an asshole or something?
She just has a very... particular way of teaching... I ended up changing simply because i didn't think we would get along very well. From my experience, If you get Bernard as a tutor you're in for a really awesome semester.

rayy_bann

HSC
Isn't the Law school part of the Arts Faculty?

If so, it still offers lectures.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
Isn't the Law school part of the Arts Faculty?

If so, it still offers lectures.
Yes it is. I wonder for how much longer that will be.

I can't imagine not having a lecture that would be agonising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)