• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

not all christians are boring stereotypical bible bashers (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
I've been going to church all my life. I think I know what is Christian and what is not.

A CHRISTIAN THINKS: Jesus is God, he paid for the sins of the world and through him we'll go to heaven.

A JEHOVA'S WITNESS THINKS: only 144 people will get to heaven (what the...) and you need to work hard and do lots of good things to get there. Jesus doesn't even come into the picture. In what way is that "Christian faith"?
Does this mean you also have the ability to say who's christian and who isnt?

you still hold differing values to other christians eg

homosexuality
sex before marriage
whether marriage is really necessary
whether you should go to church every sunday

and many more in which go to greater depth

you are still, different, from the smallest degree, which makes one fucking hell of a difference.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
ur_inner_child said:

homosexuality
sex before marriage

you are still, different, from the smallest degree, which makes one fucking hell of a difference.
She is from the bible belt so her views are to be expected.

sp0ntane0us

traveller of time & space
HSC
ur_inner_child said:

homosexuality
sex before marriage

You've got a good point. There are differences between Christians, and I'm not saying that all of my opinions are absolutely right. I'm just saying that Jehova's Witnesses in particular, don't share the basic beliefs that would classify them as followers of Christianity.

I am a Chrsitian but I don't think that non-Chrsitians are second-class citizens, I do not think I am superior to anyone. I'm just putting forward my point of view, and what I think is true.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
Jehova's Witnesses don't share any of the basic Christian beliefs. They just call themselves "Chrsitian" to make themselves sound more plausible, when in actual fact, they're a cult.
Christianity is also a cult.

sp0ntane0us

HSC
Lundy said:
Hmm. Well you're entitled to think that. I suppose it's true in some ways, but it depends on you're defenition of "cult".

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
Hmm. Well you're entitled to think that. I suppose it's true in some ways, but it depends on you're defenition of "cult".
If you can come up with a definition of a cult that would exclude christianity it would be quite a confabulous definition... something like 'a cult is a blah blah except for christianity' lol

sp0ntane0us

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If you can come up with a definition of a cult that would exclude christianity it would be quite a confabulous definition... something like 'a cult is a blah blah except for christianity' lol
haha. You are oh-so-witty.
For your information, I am actually interested in having an intelligent discussion here. As much as I love having my beliefs criticised by random strangers...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
haha. You are oh-so-witty.
For your information, I am actually interested in having an intelligent discussion here. As much as I love having my beliefs criticised by random strangers...
Can I hear the definition of a cult that would exclude christianity now?

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Jehovah Witnesses are christian.
its the sign that said it, not me!

sp0ntane0us said:
Jehova's Witnesses don't share any of the basic Christian beliefs. They just call themselves "Chrsitian" to make themselves sound more plausible, when in actual fact, they're a cult.
Totally agree. They sort of base themselves on numbers of some kind. My friend who went to one of their meetings was werided out by so many numbers!

Oh yeah, my parents consider the Baptist church as a cult. oh man! all that hand-waving!

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
stalk_if_u_dare said:
its the sign that said it, not me!

Totally agree. They sort of base themselves on numbers of some kind. My friend who went to one of their meetings was werided out by so many numbers!

As far as my operational definition of christian goes... as long as they accept jesus as the son of god then they're a christian :/ What's your definition?

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
As far as my operational definition of christian goes... as long as they accept jesus as the son of god then they're a christian :/ What's your definition?
Wait, do Jehovah witnesses actually believe that jesus is the son of god? i thought they considered him a prophet..like muslims & jews??

sp0ntane0us

HSC
CULT=
a religious group or sect which:
a) cuts themselves off from the rest of humanity.
b) Their lives are centered around the worship of a particular person or object.
c) extremely strong leadership, like a dicator.

And yes, the second point I made is true for Christianity. Christians entire lives are centered on Jesus.
But, if you think about it, who doesn't have something in the center of their life, which is their every motive? Whether it be money, family, or a particular passion or hobby, everyone has something they "worship", something they live for.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
For me, im not that fussed about Jesus,

i mean, hell yeah he did amazing things...but it was God who made him & made everything.

So im mainly for God! not jesus.

sp0ntane0us

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Christians think that Jesus IS God.

They also believe that humans, being sinful and evil creatures, deserve to go to hell. But Jesus' death was a divine sacrifice which paid our debt.

Jehova's witnesses don't agree. They think he was a phrophet and a good man, but not God. And they think that we still need to do good deeds to make up for our mistakes. But they're wrong. Jesus did it allready by dying.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Lundy said:
yep!

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

sp0ntane0us

HSC
erawamai said:
yep!

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <HEALTH cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
Ok, so Christianity is a cult because we do worship/devotion/rituals?
In that case, should all religions be considered cults?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ok, so Christianity is a cult because we do worship/devotion/rituals?
In that case, should all religions be considered cults?
Wellll not all religious beliefs (i.e. pantheism or deism I really wouldn't say is a cult.) but yes all religions.

sp0ntane0us

HSC
Just out of curiosity... if all cults/religions are just a group of people who worship a certain thing, what's so bad about them?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
Just out of curiosity... if all cults/religions are just a group of people who worship a certain thing, what's so bad about them?
When you start to believe in non-sense, reality has a way of catching up. Let alone the way these people affect others... But really there's nothing inherently 'bad' about a cult, it's up to you if you think it's a good sort of thing.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
the imposing and the urge to spread this cult. the urge to convert others. the idea whether consciously or not, that this is the right religion or the right way of thinking. certain values are created that oppose other cults which has much to do with what's happening now.

other than that, don't get me started

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)