• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

not all christians are boring stereotypical bible bashers (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
the imposing and the urge to spread this cult. the urge to convert others. the idea whether consciously or not, that this is the right religion or the right way of thinking. certain values are created that oppose other cults which has much to do with what's happening now.

other than that, don't get me started
Yea but still like, she might have no problem with these things... some people don't.

sp0ntane0us

traveller of time & space
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
When you start to believe in non-sense, reality has a way of catching up. Let alone the way these people affect others... But really there's nothing inherently 'bad' about a cult, it's up to you if you think it's a good sort of thing.
Specifically, what do you say is "non-sense"? I'm really curious now. How do you know that my beliefs and experiences aren't true?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
Specifically, what do you say is "non-sense"? I'm really curious now. How do you know that my beliefs and experiences aren't true?
Well I don't know they're not true, but theist attempts at justifying their beliefs have really been quite embarassing so from the knowledge I have at the moment I think it's provisionally true that your beliefs are non-sense.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
Fundementalist christians base their life on their 'faith'. They then spend the rest of their lives trying to counterproductivly prove their that 'faith' is actually more than a 'faith'. They go and try and prove that faith is equals fact.

As noted by NTB most of the people of religion in this forum do their best to defend their perspective. However their justifications are usually totally illogical. In any case that's why religion remains faith my dear stereotypical bible belt, bible loving, private christian college, hills shire WASP.

Last edited:

sp0ntane0us

HSC
Ok, just for a moment, let's look at this from my point of view.
There is only one absolute truth. It's not a matter of opinion. If our beliefs contradict, then at least one of us is wrong.
eg, Hindus believe there are many Gods. Chrsitians believe there is only one. Aethiests believe there aren't any. So they can't all be true.
Through careful reasoning over a couple of years, I've come to the conclusion that Christianity is the one truth. I honestly do. I feel like it's given my life meaning and hope. I've found answers to all my questions. Should I be blamed in sharing this revelation with others?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There is only one absolute truth. It's not a matter of opinion. If our beliefs contradict, then at least one of us is wrong.
Yes. Yes. Yes.

Through careful reasoning over a couple of years, I've come to the conclusion that Christianity is the one truth. I honestly do. I feel like it's given my life meaning and hope. I've found answers to all my questions.
If you've found answers to all your questions you're probably a simple-minded person. As for 'careful reasoning' I see none of this.

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
There is only one absolute truth.
Never heard of interpretation or post modernism have you?

It's not a matter of opinion. If our beliefs contradict, then at least one of us is wrong.
Have you heard of 'grey'? Your reasoning, while not totally unexpected for someone of your age, is alarmingly simplistic and black and white.

Religion is simply a subjective belief. There is no 'correct' belief or one belief. The only reason people evangelise is so they can have more people who share the same beliefs so that they don't have to feel insecure about their faith. It's the reason you go to church. Reaffirmation of your faith in a friendly environment where no one will ever ask you any difficult questions regarding the logical nature of religion or faith.

In any case religion is a historical construction built on cultural customs and practices that have evolved to best suit the needs of the society in which it evolved from. It gives people hope, solace and explanation in times of desperate sadness. If you were born in the midde of africa your one true god would be very different to what you think is the one true god. And who are you to judge and say that joe blow in India who has grown up in a very different environemnt to you is somehow wrong in his or her subjective belief? How damn narrow midned is that?

Your beliefs are a product of the little microcosm thats exists out in the hills. It has nothing to do with 'the one' or other such bullshit. Gawd who breeds these people?

No one would get so upset if stupid religion didn't pandered to their stupid followers that their belief is somehow the one and only. Great way to ensure the world is stable and tolerent.

Last edited:

sp0ntane0us

HSC
Yes actually, suprisingly for my age, I have heard of postmodernism. A realm of endless questions but no actual answers.

Call me old-fashioned if you must, but it's bullshit.

Designed specifically for those who have fun by automatically contradicting what people say. "1 + 1 = 2". "But how do you know?!?" whatever.

Yes there are grey areas, but it is an incredibly pointless and depressing to think that there is no truth in the world.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
Yes actually, suprisingly for my age, I have heard of postmodernism. A realm of endless questions but no actual answers.
If you must so desperately have clean cut answers designed to make sure your conscience doesn't explode with harsh reality then perhaps organised religion is perhaps the place to be. Load me up with more sugar please! Hold on the reality give me more sugary faith.

Yes there are grey areas, but it is an incredibly pointless and depressing to think that there is no truth in the world.
Everyone has a different version of the truth dear or at least their own interpretation or view of it. It is rather self rightious for a particular religion to monopolise the high moral ground and claim that their view is the only one truth. Especially when this truth is based on faith and not anything resembling logic. Especially when this good faith and those who deem themselves as followers of the one and correct truth/faith deside not to tolerate untruthful beliefs.

Last edited:

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
The worst thing that tested my faith, was the school i went too; 'The Blue Mountains Christian School' (was known as 'Gateway' when i went).
They were mainly baptist in the way they teached Christianity.

A couple of stories;

*When i was 10, i asked if my aunt would go to heaven, eventhough she didnt believe in God but was a really person. The reply was "Oh no, Rosamund, she will go straight hell because she a satan believer."

*When i was 12, we watched BTN (Behind The News) on something to do with pollution & there was a bit on the Big Bang. At the end the head of primary said to us afterwoods that it wasnt true because God created the universe in the way said in the Bible...i replied saying that maybe God actually created the big band for the scientists to work on. & i got yelled at & a detention.

The only good thing about the school, was that it was walking distance of my house, so my parents didnt have to waste petrol going up to the school to complain! :D

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
wheredanton: I am wondering whether you actually don't believe in objective reality, provisional truths etc?
Oh I do. It's just nice to present the other extreme to christians who have never existed outside their socially enforced microcosm of god worship. You know church, only associate with christian people when it comes to social outing, schools, sports etc etc.

I mean the parents find out that you don't read the bible and you might expose their kid to (omg shock horror) alternative views on life (omg ideas how dangerous!) you suddenly are not a part of their life. They would probably let their son get coached by such evil people as me as long as I chanted religious dogma and the importance of not questioning it. I should also agree with him about homosexuals needing to be murdered.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
wheredanton said:
Oh I do. It's just nice to present the other extreme to christians who have never existed outside their socially enforced microcosm of god worship. You know church, only associate with christian people when it comes to social outing, schools, sports etc etc.
Oh ok. I just wanted to make sure, because while I fully agree with what you're saying at the same time I do think we have ways to deal with these problems, that aren't perfect but they allow us to ..well function ;)

Welcome to the NCAP forums btw I haven't seen u before.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
stalk_if_u_dare said:
The worst thing that tested my faith, was the school i went too; 'The Blue Mountains Christian School' (was known as 'Gateway' when i went).
They were mainly baptist in the way they teached Christianity.

A couple of stories;

*When i was 10, i asked if my aunt would go to heaven, eventhough she didnt believe in God but was a really person. The reply was "Oh no, Rosamund, she will go straight hell because she a satan believer."

*When i was 12, we watched BTN (Behind The News) on something to do with pollution & there was a bit on the Big Bang. At the end the head of primary said to us afterwoods that it wasnt true because God created the universe in the way said in the Bible...i replied saying that maybe God actually created the big band for the scientists to work on. & i got yelled at & a detention.

The only good thing about the school, was that it was walking distance of my house, so my parents didnt have to waste petrol going up to the school to complain! :D
Stalk_If_U_Dare: It takes a strong mind to question the way you did :)

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
stalk_if_u_dare said:
aaawww...thank you! *blushes*
Actually it seems that some people who are subjective to hot house forms of religious education become very much not religious. Me? I always thought it was bullshit from the beginning and I never went to church. I guess I'm evil and less of a person than good god fearing christians.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Actually it seems that some people who are subjective to hot house style forms of religious education become very much not religious.
Of course when subjected to more BS it's more likely that a critical thinker will work it out, but it's really quite a small number.

Me? I always thought it was bullshit from the beginning.
I've probably thought it was bullshit from the time I actually thought about it, untill I was probably 11-12 I'd never even really thought about heaven I'd just taken it for granted... then one day I realised that I will die and that maybe heaven does not exist, I was actually quite depressed for about 2 weeks and alot of very sad thoughts went through my mind. I think it's a very hard thing to lose faith even if you just took it for granted.

It does present an interesting question tho, of whether allowing religious education is actually an advantage for secularists as it seems to (under controlled conditions where some questioning can exist) spawn more people that have disdain for religion.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
erawamai said:
Actually it seems that some people who are subjective to hot house forms of religious education become very much not religious. Me? I always thought it was bullshit from the beginning and I never went to church. I guess I'm evil and less of a person than good god fearing christians.
Well if you went to this school, most likely u would have been burnt alive at the stake.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
wrong.

you can't seem to grasp that there can be more than one right answer, and I don't know how I can try and fix this. The world have opposing values, and the idea of "good" and "bad" is different across cultures. Assuming these values are not humanist, no one has really the right to say who is "right" or "wrong".

lets see

"it is universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife"

now this is the truth, regarding the context of this incredibly famous quote. But how real is this truth?

I can't be bothered. Is that why you people stopped talking to this person..

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
eg, Hindus believe there are many Gods. Chrsitians believe there is only one. Aethiests believe there aren't any. So they can't all be true.
Through careful reasoning over a couple of years, I've come to the conclusion that Christianity is the one truth. I honestly do. I feel like it's given my life meaning and hope. I've found answers to all my questions. Should I be blamed in sharing this revelation with others?
Regardless of what is right and wrong, I am right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)