Not attend any lectures (1 Viewer)

honsaw

HSC
N/A
I have a lecture for this subject and the lecturer is so hard to understand.. so i was wondering is it possible to just study by yourself and not attend lectures at all? and sometimes in my lectures i feel like they are moving so fast and can't keep pace and can't pick up anything. Its very hard for me because i just transfered from tafe to uni and it is very different.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It is. Some students never attend lectures. So long as you adequately self-study, you'll be fine.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Highly discouraged behaviour. Read the textbook before lecture if you think they are going too fast, it helps.

If you want to skip lecture because you find it too easy, then all's well, but that's not the reason why you want to skip.

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can't keep up, why not ask the lecturer afterwards? I don't know how other unis work but I'm encouraged to ask as many questions as I want, and I interrogate the lecturer until I understand.

What I find helps is just reading through the lecture notes beforehand and attempting to understand, if that is possible. As the lecturer explains his/her notes, bits and pieces begin falling into place and the whole picture becomes apparent.

I strongly suggest you go to your lectures, even when you are just listening it makes a difference.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
It depends

What subject area
What type of assignments/assessments does it use
Does it have a textbook
Does it actually follow that textbook closely each week

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you know if that particular unit has another stream taught by another lecturer? Go to that one instead.

In regards to the lectures going too fast, this is something you can't really avoid. As stated, read the lecture notes and the textbook prior to the lecture if you find you are struggling. Just remember that lecturers are going to make concessions for people who are behind, so make sure you catch up.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you're not keeping up with the content, then definitely go. And make sure you revise later, ask questions afterwards etc.

You should only be skipping lectures if you already feel competent with the material, or that you would be able to pick it up easily by yourself.

HSC
or your physics lecturer asks, answers and explains questions within 30 seconds

halapenyo

HSC
well my accounting tutor is a third year commerce student. and she said she has only been to like 5 lectures in her entire time at uni. she made the point that if you are reading and studying from the textbook yourself, there is no need to go to every lecture.

delian

HSC
N/A
If you're not keeping up with the content, then definitely go. And make sure you revise later, ask questions afterwards etc.

You should only be skipping lectures if you already feel competent with the material, or that you would be able to pick it up easily by yourself.
+1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)