Now Rudd Pays the Price! (3 Viewers)

loz8888

HSC
JaredR said:
"I can't defend Rudd...so I know...I'll turn it around and put it back on Howard/Costello/Any Liberal"

That is so passe!
yea, i was just taking a leaf out of Howards book! haha - put the blame on the other canditate and have absolutely no substance in the argument. but seriously,

Rudd does not need defending, he's only had 6 months. Give him time to implement his policies. at the moment his main goal is to work through the mess created by Howard and his cronnies.

if anyone needs defending, its Howard. He had 13 years of resources boom and what did he do with that?!?!?! he sqaundered, did absolutely nothing

look at what Rudd has done already - signed the Kyoto Protocal, said Sorry to the Aborigine's (which Howard refused to do)

Geeze, its not even worth arguing about. finally, after 13 years of BS, Australia has a chance to change and get out of this rutt created by the liberals.
And, Rudds in power - the majority of Australia voted him in..so it looks like Australia finally realised that we were in desperate need of a change. Thank God

loz8888

HSC
chicky_pie said:
Riiiiiiight, this is coming from the same government that is getting their reputation shitted on so much just 6 months into power, the only thing they're good at is threatening the opposition with a early election LOL. :rolleyes:

Rudd lost, ....yet again.
well, at least he's good at something. thats more than we could say for Howard or...mmmm whats his name Mr 7% popularity "DR Nelson" hahahahahahhaha

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Signing a peace of paper doesn't mean much.

Saying one word doesn't mean much either.

It's what you do with that paper and that apology that count.

At the moment the Aboriginals are no better off thanks to that apology, and neither is our environment thanks to that signature.

There's more to running a nation that beaurocratic (sic?) red tape.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ It is better than what Howard did which was nothing. When the Libs were in power nothing happened (except Howard being Bush's bitch).

loz8888

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
^ It is better than what Howard did which was nothing. When the Libs were in power nothing happened (except Howard being Bush's bitch).
Finally, someone with sense!

at least he actually signed the treaty and said sorry. it may not mean much to you but it does to the Aborigines. this is something that they have been pining for for god knows how long. he fullfilled his promise to our indigenous australians and is now working to improve their standard of living and life expectancy

iamsickofyear12

HSC
loz8888 said:
Finally, someone with sense!

at least he actually signed the treaty and said sorry. it may not mean much to you but it does to the Aborigines. this is something that they have been pining for for god knows how long. he fullfilled his promise to our indigenous australians and is now working to improve their standard of living and life expectancy
1. It does mean a lot to me. There is nothing for us to be sorry about. I feel very strongly about this issue.
2. I know they are stupid, but surely they are not under the impression that this "sorry" thing is a reflection of the opinions of the majority of Australians.
3. It is possible to improve standard of living and life expectancy without saying sorry.
4. We still won't be able to improve standard of living and life expectancy as long as they refuse to cooperate.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Many Aboriginals don't see the government as Liberal or Labor: it's seen as white.

Many Aboriginal elders do not wish to recognise nor accept the support of a White Australian government.

Edit: at word Many to first sentence.

Last edited:

loz8888

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
1. It does mean a lot to me. There is nothing for us to be sorry about. I feel very strongly about this issue.
2. I know they are stupid, but surely they are not under the impression that this "sorry" thing is a reflection of the opinions of the majority of Australians.
3. It is possible to improve standard of living and life expectancy without saying sorry.
4. We still won't be able to improve standard of living and life expectancy as long as they refuse to cooperate.

of course they know that there is no miracle cure to this issue and that saying one word wont fix their problems. But, atleast Rudd has made a start. by saying sorry to the Aboriginal people, he has installed a sense of hope and confidence in the government; that they are going to help them (provided that they do cooperate). Now, this is far far more than can be said for old howard - what did he do for the Aborigine? - ignore them..?

And, Rudd wasnt the only one who said sorry - so did nelson.. so he obviously felt the need for it

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/brendan-nelsons-sorry-speech/2008/02/13/1202760366050.html

loz8888

HSC
JaredR said:
Aboriginals don't see the government as Liberal or Labor: it's seen as white.

Many Aboriginal elders do not wish to recognise nor accept the support of a White Australian government.

thats not entirely true, some Aborigines are involved in politics - thereby meaning that they would have views on Liberal or Labor and wouldnt just view the governement as being white
And, they were certainly very pleased when they heard the apology from the Australian Gov.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
...nothing to say sorry about? You do know of the stolen generation, the invasion of their land by Europeans and the horrendous crimes committed upon them? As well as them not being classified as people, including the right to vote not given to them, the White Australia Policy, the numerous theories of how Whites were better, the strategies of breeding them out etc?

And you have nothing to say sorry for? You didn't do it but your ancestors did and as they aren't here to apologise the burden falls on you and us.

Blatant racism.

What's so bad about saying sorry?

Refuse to cooperate? BS. We haven't done enough to help them. Remote Australia is like a third world country.

BS.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
loz8888 said:
thats not entirely true, some Aborigines are involved in politics - thereby meaning that they would have views on Liberal or Labor and wouldnt just view the governement as being white
And, they were certainly very pleased when they heard the apology from the Australian Gov.
That's why I said "many" and unfortunately it seems to be the Aboriginals who need the help not the ones who are involved in politics and who you speak of.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
JaredR said:

then they should be hung for treason!

EDIT: treason still carries the death penalty, doesn't it?

loz8888

HSC
JaredR said:

actually, as you'll see above, you DID NOT say 'many aborigines'. it was a blatant, generalised statement about ALL Aborigines

loz8888

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
then they should be hung for treason!

EDIT: treason still carries the death penalty, doesn't it?
is this a typical liberal view?

mm..dear

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
I apologise, read the second part of my comment and replace that with the former.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
...nothing to say sorry about? You do know of the stolen generation, the invasion of their land by Europeans and the horrendous crimes committed upon them? As well as them not being classified as people, including the right to vote not given to them, the White Australia Policy, the numerous theories of how Whites were better, the strategies of breeding them out etc?

And you have nothing to say sorry for? You didn't do it but your ancestors did and as they aren't here to apologise the burden falls on you and us.
The stolen generation is a myth. People were taken for their own good, and nothing else. The one case of someone being "taken" that I am aware of involved them being removed from their family for their own good. You just need to look at the kind of bullshit that goes on in Aboriginal communities today to understand why you would take their kids away. We need to start taking aboriginal kids away again.

You can't judge colonization by today's standards. Just because we wouldn't just go take over another country for the sake of it now doesn't mean it wasn't acceptable at the time.

How are whites not better? Apart from the "all people are equal just because" argument there is no reason why anyone would logically consider aboriginals to be equal to white people.

No, my ancestors did nothing.

In terms of the current aboriginal problem, there is really no solution, the best thing to do is ignore them.

loz8888

HSC
JaredR said:
I apologise, read the second part of my comment and replace that with the former.

sure, i get ur point.

to chicky_pie - im hardly a 'leftie extremist', im just passionate about my beliefs for a better australia and actually making something of it. i am just grateful that after 13 years we've been given a chance for change and development. the only reason i may come across as being 'extremist' as you say, is because i seem to be the only labor/supporter of Rudd (apart from one other poster) on this thread and have therefore had a tough job trying to get my point across.

anyway, theres really no point. arguing is not going to change any of our views. clearly, we have distinctly defined political views.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)