NSW Speed limiters in cars (1 Viewer)

quik.

HSC
NSW plan for speed limiters in all cars | The Daily Telegraph

"NSW plan for speed limiters in all cars
Article from: The Daily Telegraph

EXCLUSIVE by Joe Hildebrand

May 19, 2009 12:00am

ALL new cars in NSW could soon be fitted with anti-speeding devices that would make breaking the limit almost impossible and render speeding fines a thing of the past.

The State Government is hoping to make the speed limiting devices - undergoing trials in NSW this year - a standard safety feature in new cars in the same way airbags are now.

If rolled out across the board the device has the potential to not only phase out speeding altogether but also deprive the Government of tens of millions in revenue.

The Government collected more than $82 million in speeding fines last year, after issuing more than 700,000 infringement notices.

Our Joe Hildebrand tests a speed-limited car

The "intelligent speed adaptation" devices put a trip between the accelerator and the engine and link it to a GPS system that has every NSW speed zone programmed into it.

The device sounds a warning if the driver exceeds the speed limit. If the driver fails to slow down the system cuts power from the accelerator, capping it at the maximum limit.

In cases of emergency there is an override system whereby the driver can either flick a switch or floor the accelerator to disable the safety device and put the car back in manual control.

It can even be programmed to accommodate school zones, which change speed limits depending on the time of day.

Forty of the devices are having trials in the Illawarra plus another 60 similar units that warn when the speed limit is being breached but do not physically override the driver.

Roads Minister Michael Daley said the devices could one day become standard in all new cars.

"It may be that ISA could become a safety device offered by car manufacturers similar to the way air bags and ABS brakes have become safety features in the car industry," he said.

"We believe this technology could have the potential to save lives which is why we're carrying out this very important trial. The technology could also help motorists avoid speeding fines.

"Speeding is the biggest killer on our roads, responsible for over 150 deaths on our roads last year.

"ISA technology uses satellites and in-car technology to help motorists stay within the speed limit."

The head of the RTA's ISA project John Wall said that while it was early days, the agency hoped that if the trial was successful the devices could be applied ot all new vehicles.

"If we did find it was effective we'd like to see manufacturers make it available in vehicles," Mr Wall said

The RTA, which has spent five years mapping out the speed limits, has just put out a tender for the supply of the devices and 100 private and public vehicles are being recruited for the trial."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do not want. Not applicable to motorcycles (trial in Leeds confirmed that it is dangerous on motorcycles), at least not yet?

Government needs to pull its head out and realise that better driver education and training (compulsory and subsidised) is the way to increase safety on roads, not this bandaid solution bullshit.

Edit: Apparently bills in the US and UK have extended from a similar system to fine you on a p/km basis and have the ability to speed limit you to 0 if you don't pay a parking ticket, for example. Have not seen a source for this yet, though.

Last edited:

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
probably a good idea in general

as much as i love speeding

but it still isnt going to stop people dying, the majority of crashes are still in the legal speed range

pman

Banned
HSC
The problem is, many people circuit race their street cars, that is they take them down to eastern creek or oran park for a track day, there are even road cars designed for this purpose, this will cut heeps of people out of this type of driving as pit lanes are often within ten metres of the car park, this would make the pit lane speed limit 10 or 20 and make it impossible to safely enter the track, also, some people drive really slowly on the single lane then speed up in the double, this would mean you couldn't get round them, i would personally get my mechanic mate to take it out.
edit: many performance cars already have speed limiter at around 150kph that you need a racing licence to remove, e.g BMW M4

quik.

HSC
probably a good idea in general

as much as i love speeding

but it still isnt going to stop people dying, the majority of crashes are still in the legal speed range
Speeding in and of itself is not dangerous. At least not in its most common context.

If it's 11pm and the m4 is empty, hardly a danger to anyone to go 10-15 over.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm curious how the technology works? How does it cut power?

Does it retard the ignition? If so, the incomplete combustion would mean the car wouldn't meet emissions standards.

Having it work on the efi would be technically impossible I imagine, due to the diversity of systems on the market, no one simple fix. They'd have to impose a development cost on all manufacturers, which would hurt the market and be unviable.

I don't really give a shit if this comes in, but it has to be easy to disable for motorsport.

I doubt it will be introduced now, but I think it's inevitable in our lifetimes.

quik.

HSC
The problem is, many people circuit race their street cars, that is they take them down to eastern creek or oran park for a track day, there are even road cars designed for this purpose, this will cut heeps of people out of this type of driving
Just in regards to the track day thing, japan has a speed limiter on some cars (for example the new gtr) which is disabled when you enter a track. Gps informs the limiter hey you are at a racetrack.

pman

Banned
HSC
as long as i can no longer drive fast when it happens
gps is only accurate to within 10 metres so it may not think your on a race track

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
So the government will have a GPS system that tracks every vehicle in NSW. Great.
I think you don't understand how GPS works.

The device will receive a signal from the satellite that measures your location and speed, and the speed limitation is applied internally in the vehicle based on it's stored database of NSW speed limits. No external data on vehicle location or speed is recorded or transmitted from the vehicle.

pman

Banned
HSC
I think you don't understand how GPS works.

The device will receive a signal from the satellite that measures your location and speed, and the speed limitation is applied internally in the vehicle based on it's stored database of NSW speed limits. No external data on vehicle location or speed is recorded or transmitted from the vehicle.
Unless they put GPS tracker on us, which some cars already have but are only turned on when you report the car as stolen (or so they claim)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Just in regards to the track day thing, japan has a speed limiter on some cars (for example the new gtr) which is disabled when you enter a track. Gps informs the limiter hey you are at a racetrack.
It raises questions about racing off-road, rallying, private courses etc, though.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Unless they put GPS tracker on us, which some cars already have but are only turned on when you report the car as stolen (or so they claim)
But that's not what is being suggested, and to suggest so at this time is to be hysterical.

quik.

HSC
But that's not what is being suggested, and to suggest so at this time is to be hysterical.
It is not a giant leap, and if the above is introduced then tracking is probably the next step, if only for theft/police work. Irrelevant at this point in time though, totally correct.

If anyone hasn't seen it, check out my edit at the bottom about US/UK proposals, thoughts? Will try to dig up sources but am lazy and having lunch atm.

pman

Banned
HSC
Lunch, at 4 pm?
And speed limit you to zero, so no-one can drive your car or do you have to swipe your licence to make the car go in the first place

matttayl

matskiez'
HSC
id say it would work off the computer or be similar to a cruise control-ish device. For people in sydney i dont think it would be a problem for track days, oran park doesnt exist any more and eastern creek (the main track is pretty well off the road i dont think this would impose a problem...

quik.

HSC
Lunch, at 4 pm?
And speed limit you to zero, so no-one can drive your car or do you have to swipe your licence to make the car go in the first place
My assumption is that the car would simply not go. It would probably be under a system that assumes the registration holder is the owner and thus accrued the fine, I doubt a system that goes by individuals would be implemented.

This is all hypothetical though, have yet to look for the proposal.

pman

Banned
HSC
But tracks eleswhere and the national rally round at canberra is just 2 metres from a 60kph piece of road and its dead straight, could easily do over 100kph there

matttayl

matskiez'
HSC
My assumption is that the car would simply not go. It would probably be under a system that assumes the registration holder is the owner and thus accrued the fine, I doubt a system that goes by individuals would be implemented.

This is all hypothetical though, have yet to look for the proposal.
i highly doubt that they would implement a system where an individual has to swipe there license, if that was the case i could swipe my friends license. Audi had something similar but was in the form of a key which was a breathalyzer and the driver had to blow the key before driving the car, what to stop the driver getting there kid or someone else to blow into the key, systems like that wont work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)