NSW Speed limiters in cars (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Speeding does not get you to your destination any faster unless you are driving over 100s of kilometers on unrestricted roads. Traffic lights and congestion regulation commuting times.
I like you and agree with most of what you've done here.

However I'd disagree with this quote. If I drive twice as fast, I'll get to my destination in half the time. I've proven when running late for every job I've had.

In my last job, I drove to work across town at 3am. If I didn't speed I would have been late many times. At the speed limit it takes me 25 minutes to get to work. If I'm running late, I can get there in under 15.

If you're going to speed, you don't have to wait for traffic lights to change either...

I'm not advocating these tactics, just saying. Low level speeding is pointless though.

quik.

HSC
It is frightening to think that many people in this thread are legally allowed on the road. Firstly, speeding does cause accidents: you have less time to react, require longer braking distances, and are more likely to lose control of your vehicle. If speeding was not dangerous, no road would have a limit on them.

Civil liberties are not infringed. The first, and most fundamental principle, of civil liberties are that you are free to do as you like so long as it doesn't infringe the upon liberty of others. When you 'choice' to drive fast makes the roads less safe for all other road users then I think that it is fair to say that you are infringing on the liberty of others.

Speeding does not get you to your destination any faster unless you are driving over 100s of kilometers on unrestricted roads. Traffic lights and congestion regulation commuting times.

Now, for a lesson in semantics. A speed 'limit' is just that. The MAXIMUM allowable speed you are allowed to travel on the road. You are permitted to travel up to that speed, but not over it. I do not understand why so many people assume that the limit is the minimum. If you get into an elevator and the limit is 1130kg, do you make your you have 1130kgs of weight in there before closing the doors? No, that you be ridiculous because in almost every other area of life, people understand the meaning of maximum and the safety consequences of exceeding it.

As an aside, if you have ever lived in Germany, you would realised that it is almost never possible to exceed 130kph due to congestion. If would be terrified doing that speed on Australian roads because Australians seem incapable of following even the most basic of instructions like not undertaking vehicles.
Speed does NOT cause accidents. Travelling at a speed inappropriate to the conditions can, but this simply reflects on poor driver awareness/perception/ability. You do not fix this by telling drivers to slow down, that is a band aid solution.

I'm not saying that the answer is floor it where ever you go, either.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Cottoneye repeats all the cliched anti-speeding arguments that have already been addressed, weehooo.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Germany's road toll of 11.3 per billion veh-km exceeds Australia's road toll of 9.1 per billion veh-km.

Their road system is also relatively expensive iirc.
I didn't see this before, but two points:

1) Population Density
2) Climate (specifically icy roads).

pman

Banned
HSC
I think it won't work anyway cos i norammaly speed down hiil, when the car rolls faster than the speed limit

walkahz

HSC
I dont advise speeding for most people because most people are retards who cant control their cars.
I avoid speeding in most circumstances because i dont have a need to speed unless i am running late or on the freeway (eg going faster than the 100kmh i am sposed to be able to handle). I get my speeding urges out on the track where it is safer and a hell of a lot more fun.
Freeway speed limits do need revising in nsw as 110 is a snails pace on most freeways.
I dont really understand how this limiter can work effectivly. Even if the fuel is leaned out once up to speed this will fuck up motors and make them run super hot. (lean outs cause hot spots in the engine and can get hot enough to melt holes in pistons for those that dont know).

pman

Banned
HSC
I dont advise speeding for most people because most people are retards who cant control their cars.
I avoid speeding in most circumstances because i dont have a need to speed unless i am running late or on the freeway (eg going faster than the 100kmh i am sposed to be able to handle). I get my speeding urges out on the track where it is safer and a hell of a lot more fun.
Freeway speed limits do need revising in nsw as 110 is a snails pace on most freeways.
I dont really understand how this limiter can work effectivly. Even if the fuel is leaned out once up to speed this will fuck up motors and make them run super hot. (lean outs cause hot spots in the engine and can get hot enough to melt holes in pistons for those that dont know).
Judgeing from your avatar you race go carts so you understand what i mean about sppeding being a bit of fun every now and then... I go through royal national park on my bike regularly never dropping below 80 (except for three corners) and often exceeding 150kph, why becouse i can handle it. I have been racing bikes (Road, mountain and motor) almost as long as i can remember and can handle the speed.. I wouldn't dreem of doing these speeds in a car though! why, becouse ni can't handle it...People need to understand their limits and drive to these limits (by the way, I only have my L's) but going for both sets of p's this thursday!

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Judgeing from your avatar you race go carts so you understand what i mean about sppeding being a bit of fun every now and then... I go through royal national park on my bike regularly never dropping below 80 (except for three corners) and often exceeding 150kph, why becouse i can handle it. I have been racing bikes (Road, mountain and motor) almost as long as i can remember and can handle the speed.. I wouldn't dreem of doing these speeds in a car though! why, becouse ni can't handle it...People need to understand their limits and drive to these limits (by the way, I only have my L's) but going for both sets of p's this thursday!
"Speeding for fun", yet it sounds more like "Speeding to brag about it".

pman

Banned
HSC
No, its the adrenilin rush, I'm just making a point by talking about it, most people I talk to regualarly no me for mountain biking and doing stupid things on those! Most people don't even know I own a motor bike!

Uncle

Banned
HSC
there was this commercials about having small dick if you sppeed.
if rta attaches a penis constrictor or penis compressor to your dick and it activates at high speed maybe.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Driving 10/10ths on the road is dangerous no matter what, doing 130 on the highway, not so much.

benv

HSC
The Most fundamental thing is... Is all of this extra effort and money worth the very few lives it is going to save, at the end of the day, it rests on the driver himself as he is the one making the decisions and if he chooses unwisely he has to pay the consequences for it.
[E.g. even if these speed limiters had come into place, would it reduce accidents remarkably? No. If someone wants to run a red light going at the normal speed limit, he is not speeding although an accident may still happen. The government is not attacking the root of the problem.]

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
What problem? we dont have a problem its all just a media beat up. We allready have a low road toll, and that will never be zero.

walkahz

HSC
there was this commercials about having small dick if you sppeed.
if rta attaches a penis constrictor or penis compressor to your dick and it activates at high speed maybe.
I always laugh so hard at those ads because all of the things they are doing they dont need to speed to do (e.g. sliding around corner)

Woteva636

HSC
i guess that it wont really mater what the public says, any protests will get lost in the bureaucracy we call government, they're pretty good at that.

that said, i dont reckon itll go ahead, they make to much money from speeding fines, and anyway, they're about to raise the demerit points for P plater speeding from 3-4, which wont affect red Ps, they've had it for a while, but it'll be new for greens, now if you get caught speeding twice you'll lose yr license instead of three.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)