• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NSW Speed limiters in cars (1 Viewer)

pman

Banned
HSC
But you have to admit, in germany, you get places so much faster!
And I don't mind dying twice more per billion km I drive if I get where I'm going that much faster.... In reality, how many billion Kms do you drive in a lifetime?

I also don't mind paying a bit more for my roads if it lets me go faster, I would be paying more for fuel anyway because I would burn more petrol per Km, this would mean that the taxes on fuel would almost completely pay for the roads anyway.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
There are no roads with 150 km/h speed limits. Most countries are 130, and Germany has some unrestricted roads.

pman

Banned
HSC
Lets just avoid Switzerland, I'm pretty sure they limit to 100kph and know that they are the strictest country on earth when it comes to speeding, You don''t speed at all there cos the fine for the 0-5kph over bracket is something like 100 euro! Here at least you get some leeway.

Woteva636

HSC
yeah, the cops give you +/- 8% of the speed limit, but your speedo can legally be out by +/- 10%...

its all just fundraising, but atm i dont care because a) i dont speed and b) our country needs more funds so that less of my taxes go to paying off the federal defecit.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Lets just avoid Switzerland, I'm pretty sure they limit to 100kph and know that they are the strictest country on earth when it comes to speeding, You don''t speed at all there cos the fine for the 0-5kph over bracket is something like 100 euro! Here at least you get some leeway.
120 on motorways.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think there are four issues here:

1. Does speeding cause accidents?
There has been a lot of research on this and lots of hard physics. When you have an accident the faster you're going the worse it will be, no argument there. But that doesn't mean it causes accidents. The data posted earlier showed that speeding drivers experienced fewer accidents.

Other research on accident causes has shown that road engineering (poor design, poor quality) and driver error (falling asleep, drunk, being a crap driver) are the leading causes of accidents.

2. Are speed limiters technically/financially feasible?
In the future maybe but at this stage I seriously doubt it. It would be technically difficult and cost a lot to implement, given plummeting new car sales and the poor condition of the auto-industry neither motorists or industry is going to be inclined to wear the cost.

My recollection is that this sort of thing would be a Federal responsibility, not NSW, via the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). I do not believe that ADRs have ever been applied retrospectively and I doubt it would happen here.

3. Are speed limiters an unfair infringement on civil liberties?
Speed limiters remove the ability of an individual to make an informed decision regarding how fast they will drive however this may save some lives.

4. Do we actually need them?
Cost-Benefit analysis 101. Expensive and difficult to implement, infringes on civil liberties. Verus May reduce our already low number of road deaths. IMO that's a pretty high cost for a pretty low benefit. And lets face it, we're pretty broke and can't afford much of anything.

fordboy09

HSC
I think that introducing these speed limiters is the most stupid idea i think this pathetic government has come up with yet. What if you are overtaking a car (p plater) that is actually doing 90, do you know how long it would take to pass that car without breaking 100km/h, now thats dangerous. You have to be able to get around that car as safe as possible, in most cases this means breaking the speed limit.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
I think that introducing these speed limiters is the most stupid idea i think this pathetic government has come up with yet. What if you are overtaking a car (p plater) that is actually doing 90, do you know how long it would take to pass that car without breaking 100km/h, now thats dangerous. You have to be able to get around that car as safe as possible, in most cases this means breaking the speed limit.
or you could just wait for an overtaking lane or an appropriate gap

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Regarding cost, when this is institutionalized, if it does have the intended effect upon accident rates, as well as reducing the severity of accidents, you would expect insurance companies to be able to offer significantly lower premiums to new vehicles fitted with speed limiters.

Depending on the initial pricing and the insurance you choose to take out, it may actually save consumers money over a period of years.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Regarding cost, when this is institutionalized, if it does have the intended effect upon accident rates, as well as reducing the severity of accidents, you would expect insurance companies to be able to offer significantly lower premiums to new vehicles fitted with speed limiters.

Depending on the initial pricing and the insurance you choose to take out, it may actually save consumers money over a period of years.
Now thats something I wouldnt mind seeing, I agree with you on this part, i just dont think this sort of "safety" feature should be mandatory, but if some people want to get it because they know they are serial speeders or whatever then yeah they should have lower premiums if its shown that cars with these devices have less accidents.

Theres this other device i once saw, which was supposed to elliminate accidents at low speeds, its a little onboard computer thing with a radar on the front and it communicated to other cars, so that in stop go traffic at slow speeds it auto applys the breaks and at less than 30kmph it will avoid an accident like 99.9% of the time. I think volvo or VW were designing it but i dont know if its c ome out yet.

People who accept these voluntary safety measures should probably have lower premiums for sure.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah, I don't want it to come in, but I don't care heaps either, so long as it can easily be disabled to participate in rallys and hillclimbs.

I'm looking forward to being able to drive everywhere with my foot flat to the floor at all times. Having to watch the speedo constantly to keep within 3km/h of the limit is rubbish. A dangerous distraction if anything.

pman

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I don't want it to come in, but I don't care heaps either, so long as it can easily be disabled to participate in rallys and hillclimbs.

I'm looking forward to being able to drive everywhere with my foot flat to the floor at all times. Having to watch the speedo constantly to keep within 3km/h of the limit is rubbish. A dangerous distraction if anything.
You won't able to drive with your foot flat to the floor as this will trigger emergency override!
I general, It appears to a bad Idea unless it is optional and reduces insurence premiums, sorry!

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
It is frightening to think that many people in this thread are legally allowed on the road. Firstly, speeding does cause accidents: you have less time to react, require longer braking distances, and are more likely to lose control of your vehicle. If speeding was not dangerous, no road would have a limit on them.

Civil liberties are not infringed. The first, and most fundamental principle, of civil liberties are that you are free to do as you like so long as it doesn't infringe the upon liberty of others. When you 'choice' to drive fast makes the roads less safe for all other road users then I think that it is fair to say that you are infringing on the liberty of others.

Speeding does not get you to your destination any faster unless you are driving over 100s of kilometers on unrestricted roads. Traffic lights and congestion regulation commuting times.

Now, for a lesson in semantics. A speed 'limit' is just that. The MAXIMUM allowable speed you are allowed to travel on the road. You are permitted to travel up to that speed, but not over it. I do not understand why so many people assume that the limit is the minimum. If you get into an elevator and the limit is 1130kg, do you make your you have 1130kgs of weight in there before closing the doors? No, that you be ridiculous because in almost every other area of life, people understand the meaning of maximum and the safety consequences of exceeding it.

As an aside, if you have ever lived in Germany, you would realised that it is almost never possible to exceed 130kph due to congestion. If would be terrified doing that speed on Australian roads because Australians seem incapable of following even the most basic of instructions like not undertaking vehicles.

pman

Banned
HSC
Whilst what you are saying is correct (for the most part). Most people on this thread can actually drive and have done high speeds without causing crashes...sorry but racing any vehicle will improve your handling and understanding of grip limits!

Perhaps from this we can conclude that education would be more useful and go with that as an option! If the RTA wishes to stop P plate drivers from speeding, they could increase our limit to 110 like everybody else, we won't cause traffic chicanes as we drive down the motorway anymore.

AS for hundreds of kilometres, thats actually false, one road near my house uping the speed limit just twelve percent could mean i left for school ten minutes later! the road in question was recently dropped back from 90 to 80 after they duplicated the bridge and made the lanes wider and therefore safer, this does not seem logical. also as odd as it may sound, it will be cheaper to travel tjis road at 90kph as i will no longer have to use my breaks on the hill!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
It is frightening to think that many people in this thread are legally allowed on the road. Firstly, speeding does cause accidents: you have less time to react, require longer braking distances, and are more likely to lose control of your vehicle. If speeding was not dangerous, no road would have a limit on them.
Er, no, not quite. Speed is rarely an extenuating factor in most car accidents.

pman

Banned
HSC
Correct, more often than not it is some one doing something stupid like pulling out when there is no room or going through an intersection faster than they can handle, since the speed limit would be sixty, they would still lose control!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)