• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NSW State Election Campaign discussion (1 Viewer)

2011 NSW Election 2PP poll: Coalition or Labor?

• Total voters

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Everytime it's good. And Everytime its just broken promises.
All the more reason to vote Liberal since they haven't been able to break promises to the public in opposition.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
There is a reason why the Liberals have been in opposition for so long.

The Liberals don't deserve to win this election. Its just that Labor deserves to lose it.

A poll in the past couple of days showed 70% thought Labor would lose, yet only 20% thought the Liberals deserved to win.

O'farrel isn't in prime position to win because of his policies, its simply because he is not Labor.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
There is a reason why the Liberals have been in opposition for so long.

The Liberals don't deserve to win this election. Its just that Labor deserves to lose it.

A poll in the past couple of days showed 70% thought Labor would lose, yet only 20% thought the Liberals deserved to win.

O'farrel isn't in prime position to win because of his policies, its simply because he is not Labor.
I don't see how this changes the actual outcome

HSC
please anyone reading this thread

ignore david barnes he is a moron who constantly quotes out of context or posts misleading information about the contents of articles

labor/greens hack

yuck

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
please anyone reading this thread

ignore david barnes he is a moron who constantly quotes out of context or posts misleading information about the contents of articles

labor/greens hack

yuck
I am not affiliated or biased towards any political party.

I wa not selective quoting either, I simply posted the article title and a link to read the article. Can't dumb it down much furthur for you mate.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
O'Farrel announced today will he extend the M5 toll for another 4 years after it was due to end to raise an additional 350 million in revenue. It will reduce congestion with less people opting to drive on it due to higher/longer tools, but you'll pay more for doing so.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
O'Farrel announced today will he extend the M5 toll for another 4 years after it was due to end to raise an additional 350 million in revenue. It will reduce congestion with less people opting to drive on it due to higher/longer tools, but you'll pay more for doing so.
I just watched him on Channel 10 say he will not be increasing the tolls though.

The NSW coalition's plan to widen Sydney's M5 motorway will deliver on an unfulfilled Labor government promise, Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell says.
"Labor announced it two years ago but has failed to sign it," he said.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-election-2011/well-widen-m5-as-labor-should-have-20110308-1blqr.html

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The money will go to widening the road.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The M5 is horrible anyway and is in desperate need of being widened.

When you start heading out towards Mcarthur (the newer part of the M5) it is awesome, and there is a noticable difference in traffic.

Hopefully public transport will also improve.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I just watched him on Channel 10 say he will not be increasing the tolls though.
Another SMH article from today says tolls will be extended for a further 4 years to pay for his 'promises': http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-ele...n-not-good-value-keneally-20110308-1blqd.html

There as an article on on of the news sites earlier where the average user was paying $1800 a year in tolls currently. Multiple that by 4 and in real value of today, O'Farrel plans to tax M5 users approximately $7500 extra.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-election-2011/well-widen-m5-as-labor-should-have-20110308-1blqr.html

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
The money will go to widening the road.
See the article posted above. 680 million dollars extra will be raised over the four years for a road upgrade which will cost 350 million dollars. So why is he taxing an additional 330 million dollars on top of the poprosed 350 million dollars required for his 'upgrade'? It is the Liberals 10 billion dollar (althoguh in state amounts) budget blackhole that plauged Abbott last election all over again.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Another SMH article from today says tolls will be extended for a further 4 years to pay for his 'promises': http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/state-ele...n-not-good-value-keneally-20110308-1blqd.html

There as an article on on of the news sites earlier where the average user was paying $1800 a year in tolls currently. Multiple that by 4 and in real value of today, O'Farrel plans to tax M5 users approximately $7500 extra.

Yes but don't motorists get a cashback on the tolls anyway?

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Yes but don't motorists get a cashback on the tolls anyway?
This is in question also. Some news articles I were reading today suggested O'Farrel planned to cancel/end the cash back scheme. I can't actually find an official Liberal media release saying this, although that is what the Daily Telegraph and others were reporting earlier.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
This is in question also. Some news articles I were reading today suggested O'Farrel planned to cancel/end the cash back scheme. I can't actually find an official Liberal media release saying this, although that is what the Daily Telegraph and others were reporting earlier.
From what I've seen there are no plans to crap the cashback, but rather calls from various groups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)