SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
$21ph
38hr week
$798pw (b4 tax)

Turkey Processor
No qualifications needed.
The "99%" of australians who are protesting do not have an excuse for not having a job or any qualifications. I have a cert 2 IT, cert 3 IT Apps, HSC. I pretty much support my parents and brothers, and i still have enough to pay off loans and shit.

Cheese is a fail troll, as well as the 99% (Aus)

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
for one second I read that as "turkey professor" and I don't even

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
i say we occupy maccas

and protest against their shrinking big macs

Garygaz

HSC
well occupy sydney and melbourne ended by the great police establishment. society 1 - lowlifes of society 0

aaron12

HSC
I can't be bothered going down to Martin Place to support them, although in principle I support how they are against corporate greed.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I can't be bothered going down to Martin Place to support them, although in principle I support how they are against corporate greed.
They are a bunch of POed BA students who have the time to get shitty with something that only effects Americans.

boris

Banned
HSC
you cant blame corporations for corporate greed influencing govt policy

its the natural state of corporations to be greedy, thats how they function. if the werent greedy they would not work lol fuck
its like being angry at cats for meowing

what you should be angry at is the government (not ours specifically because they are relatively good) for not having policy in place to prevent corporate collusion with politicians

if there was no govt intervention, there would be no bailouts

with no bailouts america would have fallen into a recession years ago and lost several of its major corporations (gm for example). millions of people would have lost their jobs etc lol the funny part is that the same people who are protesting now would be protesting that the govt did nothing

but the market would correct and they would probably be on the road to recovery by now

and you would hope that with some policy in place to prevent corporate collusion in politics, that the remaining corporations would learn from these mistakes and make efforts to prevent the same situation reoccurring (because they would know if it did, they would fail because there would be no bailout)

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Radley Balko on the topic:

We libertarians are regularly accused of being corporatists, despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary. But what are the arguments in favor of keeping the legal protections that define corporations?

It seems to me that there are a number reasons libertarians might support doing away with them. The most obvious is that corporations aren’t remotely free market, and there’s really no incentive for them to be. If your sole duty is to your shareholders, rent seeking—using your political influence to get the government to pass laws that restrict competition and hurt your competitors—isn’t just a good business strategy, it’s really an obligation. Same with other issues like the use of eminent domain.

Just from observation, it seems to me that the kinds of people who rise up to lead publicly-held corporations tend take a pretty namby-pamby, go-along-to-get-along approach to free markets. You rarely see a corporate executive angrily stand up to politicians or regulators who abuse their power. There’s very little to be gained from it. In my experience, the hardcore free market types in the business world tend to be people who have started their own businesses, and they tend to be partnerships or sole proprietorships. Which makes some sense. When you don’t have shareholders to report to, there’s more room to act on your principles. There also seems to be something inherently wrong with a legal structure that shields people from any personal financial ramifications for the decisions they make. We libertarians understand the problems that stem from shielding government actors from any real repercussion for their actions. Seems like the same would apply to corporations, and explain some of the pretty awful things we find corporations doing from time to time.

boris

Banned
HSC
seems to me that the solution would be to do away with governments

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
but guise...!

living standards are REEEEEEEEEEEEALLY low here

and campaniez are making them worse

we need all the munniez we can get

we shud also occupy the white hous coz
some of us arent getting paid enuff 2 watch teevee

Last edited:

cheese_cheese

HSC
Thanks. Perhaps come support Occupy Sydney next weekend?

I wasn't there (work commitments) when Martin Place was raided the other day (at 5AM !) although the brutality was clear. Never fear, this weekend we will be back stronger and louder.

Freddici

HSC
Australians love following the Americans even for no reason. Australia's economy and government is way better than USA, yet , we follow (well the occupy knobs)

cheese_cheese

HSC
Australians love following the Americans even for no reason. Australia's economy and government is way better than USA, yet , we follow (well the occupy knobs)
You are right in the regards that Australians are in some ways better off than Americans. One thing America does have going for it that Australia doesn't is a lack of free speech and first amendment (as was recently found when Bolt was found guilty by the Victorian Courts). I don't agree with a lot of stuff Bolt says although he should have a right to say it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)