October Round offers + STAT test Question. (1 Viewer)

Skitzzor

HSC
I sat the STAT test in May of this year and received a percentile rank of 82.8. Could someone give me an idea of what ATAR this would turn into? Also does anyone have any idea how many offers uni's would have sent out this morning? I applied for Bachelor of Arts - Psychology at MQ and didn't receive one, should I be worried?

UACInfo

Universities Admissions Centre, www.uac.edu.au
HSC
N/A
Hi, most offers are made in the Main Round so don't worry if you don't have an offer yet. The October Round is mainly for distance ed courses.

Skitzzor

HSC
Thank you for that, appreciate the info. Would you be able to tell me what my ATAR my percentile rank turns into? Even a rough estimate would be good. Thank you.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
You can’t convert a STAT score to an ATAR or UAI, it doesn’t work that way. They also don’t usually use the percentile mark.

Most Unis also won’t tell you what STAT score you need, but the general rule is that if you got over 145 – 150 as a STAT score then you’re in.

Good luck.

jippy787

HSC
N/A
I personally think you're in, no problem, with that percentile rank . . .

What was your STAT score?

Your STAT doesn't convert to an ATAR because you're not competing for entry with the HSC students. Unis allocate a certain number of places for mature aged students (I'm assuming you're one) and it's just a case of supply and demand . . . but as I said, I think you're getting a spot, 100%.

Well done. :)

Skitzzor

HSC
Thanks guys, you've helped ease some of my nerves. My score was 163. I did the HSC in 2008 but for personal reasons everything went to hell (yeah I know it sounds like teenage angst, but it was somewhat extenuating circumstances, my best mate got himself into a very bad way so all my time and effort went into him) So I figured I'd try the STAT test and see where it got me.

ashllis92

HSC
I wouldn't worry about it, you should get in just fine. If you don't then maybe you could consider EAS or writing to the uni asking for special consideration due to your HSC being affected by your friend... just a thought but you should be just fine to get in

Skitzzor

HSC
I had a look at the EAS form before, unfortunately I don't quite fit into any of the categories. My best mate was on ADHD medication which he in turn started to abuse because it caused major depression which was fueled by his girlfriend who was a lying manipulative bitch that attempted to keep him that way because she liked having him need her. She played me and him, it was only when I got wise to what she was doing that I was able to rectify the situation. Unfortunately I have no documented evidence of this. So basically it's my 163 STAT score or bust. So you guys would be reasonably confident about getting in if you where me? I just hate the idea of going till Jan 20th without knowing.

ashllis92

HSC
Yeah you should be fined that's really shit about psycho manipulative bitch gf!

Skitzzor

HSC
About his now ex-gf. For years Psychology has been a hobby of mine, I loved the idea of knowing how people would react before they actually did it, the mind has fascinated me for as long as I can remember. Before I knew she was full of shit, she'd spend hours on msn with me telling me how depressed she was, how friends of hers had died over the years (later proved to be made up by her) I tried everything to help her and nothing worked, I felt like a failure. Before she was going out with my best mate I took her to my formal, she felt she wasnt getting enough attention from him (she broke him and his girlfriend up and then slowly moved in, like a disease) so she told us that she'd gotten a text message from an old boyfriends mum saying he'd died in a car accident. Later on it was proven that this guy had never existed. Anyway I've digressed. When I found out what she'd been doing (Around Oct last year) I set out to prove to my best mate how awful she was (she had him wrapped around her finger) I learnt all about body language and facial expressions. It took me 3 months of hard study to become competent. I proved she was full of shit and yet he still stayed. I obsessed for months over how to get her back. He's been my best friend for 10 years and she almost killed him, and she totally screwed me as well and I wasn't at uni so I had the time to obsess. In the end I proved to him that she not only knew what she was doing, but she'd liked the fact he was addicted to drugs. He now hates her more than me. Apparently she's after me now. Good luck to her.

ashllis92

HSC
Wow, sounds like she'st one with the problem! As bad as all the lying and stuff she did was I wonder what it was that made her feel like she needed to be needed and that manipulating you both ws the best way to achieve this? I must say, I admire your determination to protect your mate! It takes a lot of personal strength to do something like that (I've been through a vaguely similar situation but not wuite as extreme)! Good luck with Psych! You'll probably totally smash it after all that!

Skitzzor

HSC
She says she never got over her dad divorcing her mum (this was probably 10 years ago or so) I feel sorry for people who have divorced parents, but a lot of my mates are in that situation and they dont feel the need to do what she did. In my eyes what she did is unforgivable. I never felt guilt for what I did to her. Having studied psychology I was able to determine her fears, the biggest of which was insecurity. I used to love putting her in situations that would cause that to wreak havoc upon her. For his 18th, he and I went to the local pub for a couple of beers. I convinced her I'd taken him into a strip club in Kings Cross. She was really threatened by his ex-girlfriend (the one she caused him to break up with) so I used to love putting her in situations that had them all together and even better when it was just him and his ex. She had no idea I was doing it as well. Then later on when I finally won I revealed everything, she wasn't happy.

moc2009

HSC
N/A
I got into Uni with the STAT test alone (last year) and I know how the wait feels... applied in the September, did STAT in the October and had to wait all the way until January to find out.... it was a horrible wait.

But I can tell you, and probably even bet my life on it that you will get in with that score. Seriously, anything above 145/150 score and you WILL get in.

Good luck, and get ready for Uni.

Skitzzor

HSC
Thanks for that Moc. Do you mind if I ask what you got in the STAT test and what you then got into? I wouldn't mind just starting out on a straight Bachelor of Psychology honors at MQ but the UAI last year was about 93.7. I didn't talk about it before because I didn't think there was any chance. Do you think with my 163 I'd have a chance of just getting straight into that?

iknight89

HSC
Hey guys, with a overall mark of 145 would it be possible that i could get into a course that requires about 75uai at Macqauire? Just a rough idea is enough, this wait is hell ><

Thanks.

Skitzzor

HSC
I called up MQ and asked them what the STAT score cut-off would be for "Bachelor of Psychology (Honors) and the woman said "I'm not sure of the conversion process, let me transfer you to someone who'd known" so she did and then I asked the same question to this guy and he said they wouldn't know until main round offers are released on the 20th of January. When this woman mentioned converting it made me think, do they conver it into an ATAR or is she talking about something else? What do you guys think?

moc2009

HSC
N/A
STAT scores are not converted to ATAR/UAI scores simply because you are going into a different group of applicants, so it is irrelevant. As you is not competing against people going to Uni from High School.

You can’t give people who are doing an aptitude test (STAT) the same score/result system as people doing 2 years of study in different subjects (HSC).

STAT is for people to use as another entry, so you go into a specific pool. The majority of Unis will accept you on your STAT score. Not convert it to an ATAR.

The whole point of the ATAR/UAI is to rank/score people who complete Year 12, so STAT can’t even fit into it.

Unis in WA do a conversion method for the STAT to ATAR, as some Unis there DO convert it.

Here is their STAT score converter (so you can have a play and get an idea to put your mind at ease):

TISC Online STAT CONVERTER.

But again, nearly all Unis will look at your STAT Score, not convert it, not look at the percentile, as you are a completely different type of applicant. Even contact the STAT test people (ACER) and they will tell you that the STAT cannot be correctly converted as you are trying to convert two completely different systems into the same result.

I got into Uni on my STAT and it wasn’t converted to an ATAR, when I called Unis some people at the Unis thought it gets converted, but when you talk to someone else who knows what they are doing then you usually find out it doesn’t get converted. Majority of Unis (if not all) will not convert your STAT.

Last edited:

Skitzzor

HSC
Thanks for all that Moc. Sorry to bother you but I have one final question. How much of my UAI do you think MQ would take into account? Mine was 60.3 (yeah, i've never actually been more ashamed of myself.) I put my name, school and year I did the HSC on my UAC application (couldn't find my original student number) Could having such a shitty UAI hurt my chances? I only ask because I saw the following on MQ's STAT page.

How will the decision be made on whether an offer to study at Macquarie is given?

STAT results will be included in a selection process which also considers your ATAR and any additional study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)