• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Official Asian Cup 2007 Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
stazi said:
:( oh well. i guess we did well with 10 men. i think this officially establishes Japan as our rivals. Even over Uruguay.
Yeah. IMO we were never really in this game, but we did well to last that long with only 10 men.
LMF^^ said:
It depends on what angle you look at it from. The way I saw it that it was a pretty bad challenge and the red card doesn't look like it was unreasonable. It seemed as though Grella made a fist and hit Takahara's face.
Have you even seen footage of it?? He didn't make a fist, and it definitely wasn't worth a red.

Evergreen

HSC
If Korea wins against Iran I will be very very very happy. But I know it wont happen, Iran has been Korea's weakness for decades. So pretty much Iran advance Korea drops :mad1: .

Evergreen

HSC
YEH KOREA WON!!! GO KOREA!!!

Croud is going ballistic lol. Korea played a very good game vs Iran. Difficult but our goal keeper saved the game. 0-0 =======> Korean won on penalties
Iraq vs Korea next...

Last edited:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
my friend quote 'only if totti shot his penalty like lucas neill in the world cup'.

come to think of it, one can argue we lost both the asian cup and the world cup because of neill.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
was he in the team which beat uruguay on penalties?

don't tell me "no" :O

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
It depends on what angle you look at it from. The way I saw it that it was a pretty bad challenge and the red card doesn't look like it was unreasonable. It seemed as though Grella made a fist and hit Takahara's face.

Oh well, as soon as they equalised I knew we were gone. Neill was at fault again. WTF's wrong with him.
There was barely any contact made at all, maybe a 'tad' clumsy, but it was a genuine challenge by two people going for the ball, one of the problems of a height advantage is that you do jump higher, and as a natural instinct, you raise your elbows for balance and movement. It was pretty frustrating to see the straight red when it was rather innocuous considering the way some of our players were apparently booked for 'simulation'

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
There was barely any contact made at all, maybe a 'tad' clumsy, but it was a genuine challenge by two people going for the ball, one of the problems of a height advantage is that you do jump higher, and as a natural instinct, you raise your elbows for balance and movement. It was pretty frustrating to see the straight red when it was rather innocuous considering the way some of our players were apparently booked for 'simulation'
I don't know how you can say that there was barely any contact. His arm hit Takahara's face, and Grella is no taller than him by any means. Yes it was a clumsy challenge, and Takahara came from behind so maybe Grella didn't see him coming. But the ref saw it differently, and probably from his angle it looked worse than it is. But nevertheless, such challenges can be deemed a straight red. This is the Asian Cup, and it is played and officiated differently to the more physical leagues such as the EPL and the A-League. The red card is arguable of course, depends on where you stand. I can understand that some may feel it's harsh, but I can accept the decision as being a reasonable one.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
I don't know how you can say that there was barely any contact. His arm hit Takahara's face, and Grella is no taller than him by any means. Yes it was a clumsy challenge, and Takahara came from behind so maybe Grella didn't see him coming. But the ref saw it differently, and probably from his angle it looked worse than it is. But nevertheless, such challenges can be deemed a straight red. This is the Asian Cup, and it is played and officiated differently to the more physical leagues such as the EPL and the A-League. The red card is arguable of course, depends on where you stand. I can understand that some may feel it's harsh, but I can accept the decision as being a reasonable one.
Mate, I respect your opinion but encourage you to watch the challenge again. It was an extremely soft red and a yellow at most.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
The referee could justify that decision by saying he went by the letter of the law, but common sense in a ref is just as important and the guy in that match clearly had none. Never a red card ever.

He bottled so many decisions that night. Fucking terrible.

On another note, our next game is against the Argies in Melbourne. Can't wait to see Aimar , Messi , Riqueleme , Crespo , Ayala etc in the flesh.

Hope we get a proper coach by then, otherwise we could get a pounding.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
matt#1 said:
Mate, I respect your opinion but encourage you to watch the challenge again. It was an extremely soft red and a yellow at most.
The replay of that challenge was shown repeatedly during the game, and from all those replays I still think it was a reasonable decision.

Now that Iran is a goner too I hope Iraq can win the tournament, that will be a story. But somehow I think that's unlikely and looks like it will be Japan again.

I heard the reporter on SBS said that the top 3 sides in the Asian Cup gains automatic qualification into the next Asian Cup, does anybody know if that's a new rule or something? Because China was runner up last time and they too had to qualify for this year's event.

Evergreen

HSC
Next game is Korea vs. Iraq on Wednesday. Will be a good game. Certainly won't be easy for both teams to win, I will be very happy if Korea can get through into the finals though.

Japan vs Saudi Arabia. I hope Saudi can win this won. It seriously won't be an easy game for Japan though I have a feeling Japan will win this one again.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
LMF^^ said:
The replay of that challenge was shown repeatedly during the game, and from all those replays I still think it was a reasonable decision.

Now that Iran is a goner too I hope Iraq can win the tournament, that will be a story. But somehow I think that's unlikely and looks like it will be Japan again.

I heard the reporter on SBS said that the top 3 sides in the Asian Cup gains automatic qualification into the next Asian Cup, does anybody know if that's a new rule or something? Because China was runner up last time and they too had to qualify for this year's event.
Haha, if a Manyoo player got a red card for something as innocuous as that you'd be filthy. I don't see how it was an acceptable decision.

It's good we didn't auto-qualify for the next cup too. The more competitive games we get the better off we'll be in the long run.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Haha, if a Manyoo player got a red card for something as innocuous as that you'd be filthy. I don't see how it was an acceptable decision.

It's good we didn't auto-qualify for the next cup too. The more competitive games we get the better off we'll be in the long run.
Rooney got a red in the Amsterdam tournament last pre-season, and he got suspended for 3 games in the league. I don't defend him now even if that one was a highly innocuous, even more so than this one involving Grella.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
stazi said:
i want to add you to my myspace.
There are no pictures on there if that's what you were thinking. I only have it there in case someone I used to know wants to find me.... I don't really use it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
do you have facebook? basically im interested in seeing what you look like. im looking for a new partner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)