Official BOS Study Meat 2014 @ The University of Sydney (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Dear students,

We are again hosting another one of our BOS Events for 2014, coming up next Tuesday (first week of school holidays)!

I do apologise for the late notice, but hope that you students can somehow fit it into your busy schedule over the school holidays.

Our events and seminars in the past have been very successful (those of us who have attended previous ones can tell you) and we hope that this one can be too, with your help and attendance!

Please check this page regularly, as it will be updated on a daily basis.

[HR][/HR]
Updates:

I have decided to host an Extension 2 Seminar on the topic 'Harder 3U', due to a large number of students requesting it. Please read below.

[HR][/HR]

Student attendance list (Total = 32):

UsernameBringing others
esaitchkay
trapizi
andrew12678
matchalolz
flyingkanga
Demento12
Davo_11
tomnomnom696
rumbleroar
Cleavage4
EdwardHeartsU
turntaker
nexusbrah1
simmyy
ashleykatehowlett2
emilyt974
Machiavelli1
gahyunkk

Supervisor attendance list (Total = 10 ):

UsernameAble to assist with...
CarrotsticksAll levels of Mathematics, Education, Interviews
enoilgamModern History, Legal Studies, SOR, Humanities essays, Graduate Positions & Job Hunting
TreblaAll levels of Mathematics, Graduate Positions & Job Hunting
RealiseNothingAll levels of Mathematics
MakematicsAll levels of Mathematics
burizaEnglish Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Modern History, Ancient History, History Extension & General Mathematics
anomalousdecayPhysics, Electrical Engineering
ExamineBusiness Studies, Legal Studies, Economics
OzkoGraduate Positions & Job Hunting, Geography
Sy123All levels of Mathematics
RivalryofTrollEconomics, Business Studies

[HR][/HR]
Notes:

- Please feel free to invite friends, just notify me first please!

- Students of any grade are welcome, though this is primarily targeted at those studying Year 11 and 12 content

- Many of the supervisors will be able to give you advice about graduate positions including the resume writing, interview skills and all about finding one.

- Those attending strawberrye's seminar earlier in the day are more than welcome to come at a later time!

[HR][/HR]

What:

An event where students can study collectively under supervised conditions.

They will have access to immediate help for all subjects.

Free essay marking services for English and Humanities.

Our supervising team, consisting of tutors and HSC graduates, will be walking around ready to assist you with anything.

Two seminars, one about studying techniques for Mathematics, and another on the Extension 2 topic 'Harder 3U'.

The seminars:

Mathematics

This will be presented by me.

The seminar is about studying Mathematics, different techniques of doing so and the common mistakes that students make. From my experience with teaching Mathematics, I've noticed that you can categorise students based on their study techniques. Each of these different study techniques have their own pro's and con's, and are suited to different stages of your studies. This seminar will go in-depth into each of these study habits including what's good, what's bad, and when they are best used.

Furthermore, I will explain the HSC process including raw mark cut-offs and an explanation of how your marks are processed from the marking centre to your Record of Achievement.

I will finish up with explaining the different stages of revision, and the best exam techniques you can use once you are in the exam room.

Throughout the seminar, I will be giving various pro-tips and explaining common mistakes students make, based on my own personal experiences as well as the experiences of my students.

Harder Extension 1 (the last Extension 2 topic)

Harder 3U, as it is commonly referred to, is arguably the most difficult Extension 2 topic. This topic is divided into a number of sub-topics. More specifically, we have:

- Inequalities

- Mathematical Induction (Strong Induction)

- Probability

- Circle Geometry

In this seminar, I will be covering Inequalities and Mathematical Induction, with the focus being on Inequalities because it is the largest component of 'Harder 3U' that is most commonly assessed.

Inequalities is a topic often taught poorly because it is a more abstract topic, where the 'starting point' can be very difficult to see. Nevertheless, I have categorised all the commonly asked problems into 4 main types, which I will be going through in detail during the seminar. Having an understanding of the different types greatly simplifies the topic and makes it a lot more 'friendly'. I will also be going through the Strong Induction component of Mathematical Induction as well as some problems which require knowledge of Inequalities to do.

Extension 2 students should seriously consider attending this seminar either for their upcoming Trials, or to make their learning at school easier.

When:

9:30am Tuesday 1st July 2014 until 4pm.

Where:

University of Sydney

Eastern Avenue Seminar Room 404

http://i.imgur.com/k6Vr6hZ.jpg?1?3070

How do I get there?

There are two main methods to get there.

via Redfern Station

http://i.imgur.com/EsHoKx1.png?1

via Victoria Park

http://i.imgur.com/06Q1hos.png?1

What do I need to bring?

Essays you want marked

Homework you want to complete

Homework you need help with

Please bring any friends with you who you may wish to study with as well, they are most welcome

Do I need to bring any money?

This event is entirely free of charge! We are offering a service to help students. If you do wish to assist us on the day though, please contact myself via Private Messaging here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=1610920153

How do I register as a student?

Send me a private message via here: http://community.boredofstudies.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=1610920153

You are welcome to bring friends!

In this private message, can you please make the title "BOS Study Meet"?

• Name
  • School
  • Year
  • What subjects you want to study (we need to know so we know which tutors to bring along)
  • How you will be getting there
  • Contact number/email (optional)
  • Which seminar you are interested in attending, if you are attending one
  • If you are bringing any friends, and how many

Supervising Team, looking for help!

I would love to have people join the supervising team. I already have a small group at hand, myself included for Mathematics, but I would love for some back up. If you are interested in joining us, please send me a private message with the title "Supervising Team" to discuss things further.

In this email, can you please include:

• Name
  • What you are currently studying at University
  • The subjects you are able to assist with
  • Contact number/email (optional)

If you have any further questions or want to discuss this event, please post here!

[HR][/HR]

Looking forward to seeing everybody on the day!

Carrotsticks,
Events Manager

Last edited:

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Would've loved to come but going to strawberrye's seminar damn why do these events clash :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buriza

conviction
HSC
I might be actually able to go to this. :haha:

iStudent

HSC
Did it have to be on the same day as strawberrye's chemistry seminar :(

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
haha pretty sure that's my MATH1902 tutorial room.

Really easy to get to everyone, you should all come!

matchalolz

HSC
might be interested in going :) are yr11s allowed?

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hello carrot :)
I highly recommend anyone who is unsure of going, go! Carrot is a great presenter and lovely and cool person :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)