Official BOS Trial 2015 Thread (1 Viewer)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
On Wolfram, the graph looks like it intercepts the y-axis and x-axis. I did what you did, but wolfram graphed something weird.
It's mainly due to difficulty of computing values that satisfy that equation near x = 0. Of course the curve shouldn't actually cut or touch the axes anywhere, because we said x and y can't be 0.

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
It's mainly due to difficulty of computing values that satisfy that equation near x = 0. Of course the curve shouldn't actually cut or touch the axes anywhere, because we said x and y can't be 0.
You can't even compute values algebraically.... For that, you would need the Product Log function, and that is beyond high school...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
For the graphs question, you're meant to work out the behaviour of the graph as x approaches 0 in a similar way to how you should've worked out the behaviour as x approaches infinity, which is by separating out the x and y in the equation.

Once you've done that use the fact that it has a stationary point at (1,1), it is symmetric about y=-x and the fact there is an asymptote of y=x to work out the rest of the graph.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
You can't even compute values algebraically.... For that, you would need the Product Log function, and that is beyond high school...
I meant it's probably hard for the computer to obtain numerical solutions (by this I mean approximate solutions of course) when x is very small, or they are too erratic around there. Lambert W function wouldn't help us too much anyway as we would then need to approximate that to obtain numerical values.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC
On Wednesday, 16 December 2015
Speaking about that... im going to be in Africa then... Would i be able to get my results from somewhere other than inside Australia? (For HSC obviously...)

leehuan

HSC
Speaking about that... im going to be in Africa then... Would i be able to get my results from somewhere other than inside Australia? (For HSC obviously...)
HSC results are released on studentsonline

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
It's awfully nice of you people (Carrotstick, Trebla, and other people) to buy the food, print out all those papers, and hold this entire event.
Emphasis on awful :p
(jks we all love you carrotsticks and trebla)

leehuan

HSC
It's awfully nice of you people (Carrotstick, Trebla, and other people) to buy the food, print out all those papers, and hold this entire event.
Emphasis on awful :p
(jks we all love you carrotsticks and trebla)
Wow. The damage is already done.

Drsoccerball

HSC
For the ex 1 paper 11e im pretty sure dummy variable are ex 2?

Drsoccerball

HSC
Also, I think the whole idea of finding an 'equation' for I (where I is the integral) is a mainly 4U concept
Straight up it was too long so i skipped it... I was really not bothered during the ex 1 exam...I circled random answers for mc after reading the first one...Anyways... why was question 12 and 14 impossible ?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Straight up it was too long so i skipped it... I was really not bothered during the ex 1 exam...I circled random answers for mc after reading the first one...Anyways... why was question 12 and 14 impossible ?
Is this Extension 1 or 2?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
For the ex 1 paper 11e im pretty sure dummy variable are ex 2?
Also, I think the whole idea of finding an 'equation' for I (where I is the integral) is a mainly 4U concept
It is toe-ing the syllabus line, but I think it is very well within the bounds of Extension 1 knowledge-wise, as no 'extra theory' is required to do the problem.

It is simply a more difficult deduction that needs to be made.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
When can we expect the results?
A bit more than a week from now.

How were we supposed to figure out there are asymptotes on the axes?

As well as that, there is no critical point at (1,1). Wolfram Alpha says so. The critical point is (-1,-1)
When x approaches negative infinity, y can approach zero. Since the curve is symmetric in y=-x, we can immediately deduce that the y axis is an asymptote.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
FYI I wrote that question lol
To add to this, Trebla writes most of the MC usually. I modify and replace some of them only for whatever reason I see fit.

ie: Q2 and 4 of MX2 MC was mine. The rest was pretty much Trebla's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)