• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Official ECMT 1010 thread. (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
thats it, the next time a maths nerd pays anyone out for not being maths orientated, I'll ask them an English question. Or a philosophical question.
In fact any arts question.
Then i will proceed to beat them with a balaklava

...why are you assuming people who are good at maths suck at english? :confused:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
no, im generalising. But an inability to understand how others can't grasp concepts seeming so basic to maths-orientated people pisses me off.
However, if you use "data" I'm sure a majority of ext2 maths people don't also do ext 2 english.
Nor would they have the same skills in subjects such as philosophy.
Different mindsets.

Rorix

HSC
To dissent, mathematics and philosophy are actually very closely linked. Mathematics is essentally a purely philosophical argument using numbers. English and philosophy do not link, however, beyond the sense that writing well/communicating emotionally makes the reader more receptive to the content but it ultimately does not improve the logical argument.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I think im pretty equally skilled in both english and maths. You dont necessarily have to be a creative type of person to be good at english. English is as logical and structured as maths. There are formulas and structures you have to follow in both subjects, so i disagree with the "different mindsets" thing.

Lainee

HSC
I'm a bit of an English-Maths person as well; I enjoy the high-school variation of both subjects and I do equally well in both. I don't think it's so uncommon to find people who excel in both.

Just to get back on subject - I missed the lecture today (Nicholas de Roos 12PM), same one as 1time I think. I'm hoping that it really wasn't that difficult...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
nicholas de roos? 12pm???? Whaaaaaaaaaa?
What lecture is this.
You'll find it easy if you've done maths before. if you haven't, then the core concepts would blow over your head. Especially at the pace it was explained. Or should i say not explained.

Coming from sydney boys high school, there wasn't a single person that comes to mind who did both ext2 english and ext2 maths

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Coming from sydney boys high school, there wasn't a single person that comes to mind who did both ext2 english and ext2 maths
perhaps thats due to workload as opposed to ability? no one did it at my school either, but at least the top 5 guys could have done it (and done well) if they had the time..

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the top rankings in adv and ext 1 were dominated by non ext-2 people in most cases.
Sure theres exceptions, but I'd say analytical english skills and 'thinking outside the box' in most cases are seperate to the maths skills.
I, myself just couldnt grasp numbers. They just weren't "social" enough for me.
Words are my friends :)

Rorix

HSC
Ultimately English is an emotional argument and Mathematics is a logical argument. I will develop this point further if disputed. For such reasons it is hard to be TRULY BRILLIANT at english and maths since they really require truly different ways of thinking (though high level maths requires the same level of creativity as high level english) but for an intelligent person skilled in argument it would be definately possible to do both 4u eng and 4u maths (as these aren't really the advanced levels of either subject).

While philosophy is supposed to be mathematical it often crosses onto the emotional arena.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Within the HSC context, apart from the "creative section" which is like 15/105 in advanced and 25/50 in extension one i fail to see what "creative" processes are involved.

s.m.i.t.h

HSC
im trying to order the student notes online for ecmt
and im not gonna order the booklet where u can just print the notes off blackboard
can someone tell me which one is NOT this one ECMT1010 or ECMT 1010 part B? i.e the one that is not avaliable on blackboard?
thanks
appreciate it

Lainee

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
nicholas de roos? 12pm???? Whaaaaaaaaaa?
What lecture is this.
You'll find it easy if you've done maths before. if you haven't, then the core concepts would blow over your head. Especially at the pace it was explained. Or should i say not explained.
LOL I just saw an oddly dressed guy at my lecture and assumed it was you. :p Annnyywaay... this is why your idea of posting notes would be great, having someone condense all the info + explain it in their own words would be much better.

Ooh a high boy! *waves from across the lowers*
I'm *sure* I know one or two people who did 4-4 english-maths. I'll investigate into that. :)

amyc

supernerd
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
yeah do any of you fucks feel like deconstructing the OC from a postmodernist perspective?
did someone say the OC??! :D

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Lainee, describe what you look like so me and spin spin can stalk you...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Lainee said:
LOL I just saw an oddly dressed guy at my lecture and assumed it was you. :p Annnyywaay... this is why your idea of posting notes would be great, having someone condense all the info + explain it in their own words would be much better.

Ooh a high boy! *waves from across the lowers*
I'm *sure* I know one or two people who did 4-4 english-maths. I'll investigate into that. :)
you confuse me. What's the nicholas 12pm thing. I thought there were only 8,10,1 lectures in ecmt. Ahhh my brain hurts.
Oddly dressed -as in mars volta tshirt. Jeans with a ska patch. Skate shoes.
Skinny.
Blueish hair streaks.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
s.m.i.t.h said:
im trying to order the student notes online for ecmt
and im not gonna order the booklet where u can just print the notes off blackboard
can someone tell me which one is NOT this one ECMT1010 or ECMT 1010 part B? i.e the one that is not avaliable on blackboard?
thanks
appreciate it
Part B is the one u can print

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Part A is computer maths. I got pissed off when i preordered part B and then picked it up seeing it was the printable stuff.
A steak+salad+beer combo goes missing

Rorix

HSC
spin spin sugar said:
can someone smart in this thread tutor me plz? rorix and lainee im looking at you

lets see
*does calculations*
um........
uhhhhh...........

$2450 a semester.

Would you like to pay up front? There's a 20% discount.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)