Official Offers - Did you get in? (1 Viewer)

BlackDragon

HSC
anyone heard about their scholarship applications recently or even this month?
i emailed the student centre, and in essence, they told me there is no real defined period for the awarding of scholarships and people could expect anything from december to march. Its annoying.

Hopefully they'll announce many upon the commencement of the academic yr!

BlackDragon

HSC
i got one! i got a scholarship! :D:D. 2.5 k a year :)
The Armidale District/UNE Country Scholarship! Woohoo this is going to help so much.

also, i got the textbooks for ALL my units for just $160! everyone, if you haven't yet, go to the On campus second-hand book store. they sell at no more than 70% of the retail price and everything in there is in pretty much perfect condition.
plus go to dixon, you can get your prescribed and non-prescribed books there as well. and you can renew twice so it'll last you the term.

things are finally falling into place.

Last edited:

lawgrad1

HSC
Congratulations on the scholarship BlackDragon!

TamikaD

HSC
Well done on the scholarship! :)

When do we buy our text books? In O-week?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
You can buy textbooks at any time and there's several options available. Your lecturers will generally tell you when they want you to have the texts by, but in my experience it's usually within the first three weeks. If you're looking to buy them, here's how you can go about it:

A) You can go to the United Campus Bookshop near the Student Union building. They are always up to date, so you know you'll be getting the edition you need. However, you can expect to pay up to $600 for a semeseter's worth of text books.

B) You can go to the Second-Hand Bookstore, also located in the Student Union building. As the name implies, these are pre-loved texts, and there are no guarantees that they'll have the edition you need ... or even have the book in stock. It's naturally cheaper, but not by all that much (you'll pay about 60-75% of the UCB prices)

C) Returning students are always looking to sell texts they don't need at the beginning of the semester. It's much faster than the Second-Hand Bookstore because when we go through them, we don't get paid anything until the books are sold. We usually post book lists early and you might be able to barter us down a little. Be quick, though.

D) You can order your books online. I've never done this, but I daresay you'll get it at a much cheaper rate than other methods. I don't know how long they take to ship, though, so you may need to organise to have them sent to your college.

E) Your courses often have required texts, but several of them also have recommended readings. These are often supplements and are stand-alone. You won't need them to get through the unit, but if you're looking at buying them, I suggest going halves with another student in the same course, or, in the event of more than one recommended text for the subject, you buyong one and someone else buying the other and simply swapping when you need to.

Your best bet is probably to go with options C and E (if it applies). It's quick and easy, and you're usually lined up to get current editions (or earlier editions that your lecturers will still accept).

BlackDragon

HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
A) You can go to the United Campus Bookshop near the Student Union building. They are always up to date, so you know you'll be getting the edition you need. However, you can expect to pay up to $600 for a semeseter's worth of text books.
expensive.

ObjectsInSpace said:
B) You can go to the Second-Hand Bookstore, also located in the Student Union building. As the name implies, these are pre-loved texts, and there are no guarantees that they'll have the edition you need ... or even have the book in stock. It's naturally cheaper, but not by all that much (you'll pay about 60-75% of the UCB prices)

C) Returning students are always looking to sell texts they don't need at the beginning of the semester. It's much faster than the Second-Hand Bookstore because when we go through them, we don't get paid anything until the books are sold. We usually post book lists early and you might be able to barter us down a little. Be quick, though.
good option. especially the book store. (because its far more certain that you'll get what you need). its just like having textbooks at school. if they are the right edition, why do you need them brand new? it makes no difference and you'll just pay way more. plus most of them are in very good condition, just not brand new condition.

ObjectsInSpace said:
E) Your courses often have required texts, but several of them also have recommended readings. These are often supplements and are stand-alone. You won't need them to get through the unit, but if you're looking at buying them, I suggest going halves with another student in the same course, or, in the event of more than one recommended text for the subject, you buyong one and someone else buying the other and simply swapping when you need to.
i just borrowed all the recommended readings from dixon. i'll read alot of them before term starts and because you can renew them twice, they'll last me the whole term.

TamikaD said:
Well done on the scholarship! :)

When do we buy our text books? In O-week?
you can get them whenever you want. but unless you live in the armidale area, o-week is probably the only option. its just that nearly everyone gets their books then so you may miss out on the bargains.

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
For some subjects - the sciences, nursing, law and accounting spring to mind - you will probably need the latest editions because the laws are foten updated (I know with accounting that Australia is now in-line with the world in terms of acceptable accounting standards and that only the latest edition of the text book has these updates).

So don't buy texts straight away. Wait until you know what you can get by on.

rev-ise

HSC
Go to here and enter your unit codes(assuming you've enrolled in your units). Don't forget there's always the second-hand bookshop out at UNE, and you can quite often save a lot of money by trying to get them from there instead.

lawgrad1

HSC
You can either wait until you pick up your unit guide at your first lecture for a particular subject or you can check out the UNE textbook list at: http://www.une.edu.au/textbooks/student_search_page . You can then check out approx prices for the books at: http://www.ucb.net.au/ (United Campus Bookshop) or http://bookshop.une.edu.au/servicesUNE/bookshop_search.php (Second-hand bookshop).

I personally recommend waiting - the lecturers often give you advice about what mandatory books are actually "mandatory".

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
And the UCB gets crowded, too. Especially in the first week back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)