OMG!! Is it true that if u do graduate medicine is better than undergraduate medicine (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
apparently the reason is that if you do medical science first and then apply for graduate medicine you can graduate in 7 years with a triple degree

bachelor of medical science (honors)/ bachelor of medicine/ bachelor of surgery?

where as if you do undergraduate you graduate in 7 years but you dont get the honors.

So ultimately its better if you do graduate medicine so that you get more qualifications in less time?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
apparently the reason is that if you do medical science first and then apply for graduate medicine you can graduate in 7 years with a triple degree

bachelor of medical science (honors)/ bachelor of medicine/ bachelor of surgery?

where as if you do undergraduate you graduate in 7 years but you dont get the honors.

So ultimately its better if you do graduate medicine so that you get more qualifications in less time?
you can do any degree and then do postgrad medicine as long as you have the prerequisites they specify, so you won't come out with BMedSc/MBBS unless you do medsc beforehand, which not everyone does.
Also, you can't get BMedSc(Hons) in 3 years, it is a 4 year thing, so then it would take you 8 years to get BMedSc(Hons)/MBBS not 7 like for BMedSc/MBBS or BSc/MBBS or BA/MBBS or whatever 3 year degree before med.

Also, undergrad is 5 or 6 years not 7, and you get MBBS, not the medsc because you haven't done a medsc degree.

Not really.
If you want to do med and know you do then your other qualifications won't mean much else but more time used to get into med shit, and I guess the knowledge you gain, which may or may not be applicable to your life as a doctor or whatevs.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Re: OMG!! Is it true that if u do graduate medicine is better than undergraduate medi

It's not really more qualifications and mbbs isn't a double degree anyway, name is misleading.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: OMG!! Is it true that if u do graduate medicine is better than undergraduate medi

you can do any degree and then do postgrad medicine as long as you have the prerequisites they specify, so you won't come out with BMedSc/MBBS unless you do medsc beforehand, which not everyone does.
Also, you can't get BMedSc(Hons) in 3 years, it is a 4 year thing, so then it would take you 8 years to get BMedSc(Hons)/MBBS not 7 like for BMedSc/MBBS or BSc/MBBS or BA/MBBS or whatever 3 year degree before med.

Also, undergrad is 5 or 6 years not 7, and you get MBBS, not the medsc because you haven't done a medsc degree.

Not really.
If you want to do med and know you do then your other qualifications won't mean much else but more time used to get into med shit, and I guess the knowledge you gain, which may or may not be applicable to your life as a doctor or whatevs.

I think you may be wrong.

Refer to this:

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/resources/GradEntry/$file/GraduateEntryStreamv5.pdf

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you may be wrong.

Refer to this:

http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/resources/GradEntry/$file/GraduateEntryStreamv5.pdf
please point out where I've gone wrong.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

please point out where I've gone wrong.
"The nett result is
that students can complete both the BMedSc(Hons) and the MBBS degrees in a
total of 7 years."

please actually read the reference I've given you a bit before asking next time please.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Guys can anyone confirm this link http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/resources/GradEntry/$file/GraduateEntryStreamv5.pdf

so B medsc(hons) and MBBS can be done in 7 years right?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
"The nett result is
that students can complete both the BMedSc(Hons) and the MBBS degrees in a
total of 7 years."

please actually read the reference I've given you a bit before asking next time please.
I'm on my phone. Next time include tags around a URL. Not that hard. ...se, at one university where that is possible.

HSC

entry into medicine

test one: actually researching the different admission systems

result: u have failed

Dylanamali

HSC

B Med Sci (Hons) / MBBS can be done in 7 years.. but that isn't really considered doing postgraduate medicine as that's a unique system UNSW has in place which is different to any other institution.

To OP:

If you want to become a doctor, and had the option of choosing between undergrad and postgrad entry, you would be DEFINITELY choose undergrad entry. Undergrad med courses are only 5-6 years long, whereas it will take 7 years to complete an undergrad degree then postgrad med.
Having additional qualifications will not really help you as a doctor, unless you intend on doing a more research based medical job.
IMO, it's definitely better to have those 2 years experience into the workforce then having to study a secondary degree.

And "having more qualification in less time" is quite ridiculous.. Students who have gained a MBBS through undergrad entry won't then go back to uni and study a MedSci(Hons) degree.. Generally the ONLY reason students do postgrad med is because they failed to get into undergrad med.
At the end of the day, an undergrad student will be able to obtain a fellowship faster then a postgrad med student - and if your plan is to solely become a doctor.. then that's the most beneficial.

theloorloor

HSC
N/A

B Med Sci (Hons) / MBBS can be done in 7 years.. but that isn't really considered doing postgraduate medicine as that's a unique system UNSW has in place which is different to any other institution.

To OP:

If you want to become a doctor, and had the option of choosing between undergrad and postgrad entry, you would be DEFINITELY choose undergrad entry. Undergrad med courses are only 5-6 years long, whereas it will take 7 years to complete an undergrad degree then postgrad med.
Having additional qualifications will not really help you as a doctor, unless you intend on doing a more research based medical job.
IMO, it's definitely better to have those 2 years experience into the workforce then having to study a secondary degree.

And "having more qualification in less time" is quite ridiculous.. Students who have gained a MBBS through undergrad entry won't then go back to uni and study a MedSci(Hons) degree.. Generally the ONLY reason students do postgrad med is because they failed to get into undergrad med.
At the end of the day, an undergrad student will be able to obtain a fellowship faster then a postgrad med student - and if your plan is to solely become a doctor.. then that's the most beneficial.
I was thinking of doing the undergraduate degree of B. medical science/MBBS at UNSW which I saw was 7 years. I was actually planning on doing that instead of just MBBS because I'm alot into the sciency research stuff. But after I saw that if I went to graduate medicine then I would be able to complete B.medical science (hons)/MBBS I got confused as that is technically saving an extra year for me.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just do MBBS and then do research stuff as well. Duh.

Dylanamali

HSC

I was thinking of doing the undergraduate degree of B. medical science/MBBS at UNSW which I saw was 7 years. I was actually planning on doing that instead of just MBBS because I'm alot into the sciency research stuff. But after I saw that if I went to graduate medicine then I would be able to complete B.medical science (hons)/MBBS I got confused as that is technically saving an extra year for me.
B Med Sci/MBBS isn't really an undergrad degree..
it's a lateral entry scheme and it's designed for students who didn't gain entry into MBBS directly.
You can't choose to do a Med Sci/MBBS degree, you can only do it if your the top 15* ircc of the Med Sci cohort - which is EXTREMELY competitive.
Just try your best in UMAT/HSC to get into MBBS directly.. then research opportunities will arise if your into that.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A

u can get BMedSc (Hons)/MBBS in 6 years at Monash, BUT an MBBS already rapes the shit out of a MedSci (hons) so i dont understand why u would take time to finish an inferior degree. just finish ur med degree in the minimum time possible and start earning cash, instead of sitting in uni becoming overqualified.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

u can get BMedSc (Hons)/MBBS in 6 years at Monash, BUT an MBBS already rapes the shit out of a MedSci (hons) so i dont understand why u would take time to finish an inferior degree. just finish ur med degree in the minimum time possible and start earning cash, instead of sitting in uni becoming overqualified.
Even if I wanted to do a phd?

HSC

As someone who has taken this pathway at UNSW, I believe there should only be 3 reasons why you would want to take this stream:
1. You didn't make it into MBBS straight out of high school: this pathway keeps the most options open (non-standard entry into MBBS, lateral entry as you mentioned, post-grad)
2. You are not exactly sure whether you want to do MBBS compared to say, research
3. You want to do research before MBBS: if successfully selected, this stream lets you do an honours and phD before guaranteed entry into MBBS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)