• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

One Nation racist (4 Viewers)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Of course. I'd never support a lump sum payment.

IMO Money has to be spent on education (Then again i believe much more money should be spent on education anyway in general) for the ATSI population.

But there needs to be a balance between paternalism (ie we can't be too paternalistic) and self determination. Where ever that is is hard to tell.
How can we educate them when more than 50% of them are absent from school more than 50% of the time in rural areas?

Generator

HSC
N/A
You did quote his paternalism and self-determination point, calculon...

rantman

HSC
N/A
alrite alrite.... in light of my economically irresponsible suggestion i think that we should increase abstudy by somewhere in the region of 300-400%, sound fair?
this will give the ATSI greater incentive to go to school and learn a thing or two.
thanks for the applaude!
oh, you can thank me later by private messaging....

K

katie_tully

Yes but I live in a rural area, there is heaps of help available for them. Living in a rural area is NOT an excuse. Especially in places like Bourke and Broken Hill, there are centres especially for aboriginal people, that nobody else can access.
The amount of incentives promoted here, helping them get jobs..

I know alot of them feel as though white people have it out for them too. ..

Bit off track but the story is;
I was at the nurses station talking to mum the other day, when a nurse went into a room with 2 aboriginal patients. They had visitors, but it was half an hour till visiting hours.. so the nurse says in future can they please not come until visiting hours. Anyway this aboriginal chick went off her nut, abused all the nurses saying they were slime, and were being racist, even though it was policy, and even though they'd just warned white people in the room next door.
The people then went to the head of hospital and said the nurses told them to fuck off, black people arent welcome in the hospital..

It's things like this that make people resent Aboriginals, and especially make people resent having to say sorry. It happens all the time out here, and no amount of money is going to help them if they a; dont know how to spend it, and b; don't stop acting like victims un-necessarily.

It's true that alot of them are absent from schools, but this is a personal choice. School is available, financial assistance is available to cover the cost of uniform, books, etc.. So why don't they access it?

I'd say, look this is what is available for you, this is where it is. If you need help accessing it, contact us.
If the government is going to spend any money on them, it shouldnt be in the form of a direct lump sum compensation.. quick fix solution now, but why not spend a certain amount over a certain time on things like education and health care.
What about aboriginal only schools? Do you think this would be a way to get more of them to stay in school, if they're with people of their own ethnicity?

rantman

HSC
N/A
maybe schooling is just not incorporated into aboriginal culture and the only way to get them into school is to intergrate aboriginal teaching in to the syllabus

why is there so much racism in rural areas, and why didn't u help the abo at the hospital by telling off the hospital for being anti-indigenous

abos in the city are alrite, they go to first 7 years of school at least and get themselves primary school ed, i think their should be more motivation for abos, like getting ppl like cath freeman and aden ridgeway to be role models and figures that represent the potential of the aboriginal community

overall the problem is that big that only the big governments and public awareness can achieve social equality for the indigenous

abos should also be encouraged to be entrepreneurs to create better living standards and the creation of wealth would really help boost the community infrastrcuture and pride

in my community for example, we have a abo community that accounts for 7% of the population, and with lobbying (which i was involved in) of the local government the aboriginal community opened and abo art store which has taken off and the money has gone back into helping the aboriginal youth (so they dont do drugs or alcohol anymore, rather they have career aspirations now)

but i think its up to them too, u cant expect to be helped simply because u r brown skinned and have been invaded by white ppl and u r inferior both physically and intelectually, the reason why i stated that money must be spent on aboriginals is because it would grease the wheels for change and improvement of living standards for these ppl

that is why we should go to lenghts to scrap these ideas of letting their fate be determined by their own hands and help them out a little

fair dinkum

howard should be ashamed of killing ATSIC
he should have improved it, not kill it
shame shame shame

and my last point is that if we improve these abos then there will be less racism because when ppl look at them and they are better then ppl wont look down on them anymore (like u katie_tully)

K

katie_tully

rantman said:
why is there so much racism in rural areas, and why didn't u help the abo at the hospital by telling off the hospital for being anti-indigenous

and my last point is that if we improve these abos then there will be less racism because when ppl look at them and they are better then ppl wont look down on them anymore (like u katie_tully)
I hope to god you're not serious.

rantman

HSC
N/A
huh? what do u mean, are u against helping the disadvantaged?

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
um

i think the whole point was the nurses were not being anti-indigenous but that was the perception from the Aboriginal people in the hospital.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)