Opinion (1 Viewer)

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, All

I just want your opinion on something, there is a new degree out by UWS B Engineering/ B Applied Leadership and Critical Thinking in Parramatta. I have been thinking to put this course on my preferences because I am not really sure if I would be able to directly get into Eng in UTS (where I really want to study). I can just transfer after the 1st year.

My question is that people have been telling me that don't go into new courses because it is unfamiliar towards the faculty as they would 'muck' up the marks,exams and etc..

So do you think that the new course aren't worthy enough to get into ? also UWS also have Eng in Penrith but it is too far from where I live so I am trying to avoid that...

Thanks..

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
But I am not sure if I would be able to get the ATAR

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
The cutoffs are heavily inflated. You can get in with around mid to high 70's

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
UWS is not the most ideal choice for engineering, however if you believe you may not get the ATAR possible than try maybe Macquarie or UWS as you say.
It is true that new courses are sometimes risky as you are unsure what the outcome is. Like the bachelor of creative writing was a new course at UTS however it didn't attract many students.
however UWS has been known to be unpredictable. I know someone who enrolled in a bachelor of early childhood at UWS, however a week into the first week there, she along with the other students learnt the course had been changed. She had not been told this before enrolling as it was sudden decision. Also, the subjects she learnt were not relevant to her course. She had to take compulsory japanese and anne frank and the holocaust, however this was not relevant to her degree as a childhood teacher. Engineering could possibly be different and more focused. Perhaps you can stat there, but transfer later to another course.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
UWS is not the most ideal choice for engineering, however if you believe you may not get the ATAR possible than try maybe Macquarie or UWS as you say.
It is true that new courses are sometimes risky as you are unsure what the outcome is. Like the bachelor of creative writing was a new course at UTS however it didn't attract many students.
however UWS has been known to be unpredictable. I know someone who enrolled in a bachelor of early childhood at UWS, however a week into the first week there, she along with the other students learnt the course had been changed. She had not been told this before enrolling as it was sudden decision. Also, the subjects she learnt were not relevant to her course. She had to take compulsory japanese and anne frank and the holocaust, however this was not relevant to her degree as a childhood teacher. Engineering could possibly be different and more focused. Perhaps you can stat there, but transfer later to another course.
That is for sure I wont be graduating in UWS Eng...most likely I will transferring after one year...but also if this is a new course wont they ruin my mark which restricts me getting into UTS the year after that

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
UTS have generous bonus point schemes.

If you want to do Engineering, doing Engineering at another uni rather than this other random course seems more intuitively logically. Course first, and then ideally the best uni for that course/you. Not cherry picking the uni first.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad

If you want to do Engineering, doing Engineering at another uni rather than this other random course seems more intuitively logically. Course first, and then ideally the best uni for that course/you. Not cherry picking the uni first.
That's for sure that I would be putting UTS Engo first in my preferences.. But I just worried that my ATAR won't be enough.

The bonus points scheme which they give is by EAS right or are they some other way they give extra points..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
That's for sure that I would be putting UTS Engo first in my preferences.. But I just worried that my ATAR won't be enough.

The bonus points scheme which they give is by EAS right or are they some other way they give extra points..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting band 5,6s (4s?) in subjects relevant to your degree is a way of receiving bonus points.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Do the engineering questionnaire, that combined with subject bonus points should let you get in with high 70s. Anyone with lower than about that would have needed EAS.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Do the engineering questionnaire, that combined with subject bonus points should let you get in with high 70s. Anyone with lower than about that would have needed EAS.
I will be applying for EAS in one or 2 days...

So you guys think that with an ATAR of <80, I could I get into UTS Engo...by the help of EAS and subject bonus points ?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, All

I just want your opinion on something, there is a new degree out by UWS B Engineering/ B Applied Leadership and Critical Thinking in Parramatta. I have been thinking to put this course on my preferences because I am not really sure if I would be able to directly get into Eng in UTS (where I really want to study). I can just transfer after the 1st year.

My question is that people have been telling me that don't go into new courses because it is unfamiliar towards the faculty as they would 'muck' up the marks,exams and etc..

So do you think that the new course aren't worthy enough to get into ? also UWS also have Eng in Penrith but it is too far from where I live so I am trying to avoid that...

Thanks..
Btw..however else is interested in this course.. there is an error in the UAC guide about the start course date..

D94

HSC
N/A

This, but you would also want to check if units align and that you are able to credit them.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This, but you would also want to check if units align and that you are able to credit them.
This too.

I met someone last semester who had to redo a course here at UNSW because the similar course at USyd was not accredited and deemed incomplete in comparison.

It can happen vice versa too. I also met someone who transferred straight from UWS, but did not have to redo any courses because they came to UNSW after 1 semester only of UWS.

Also note in future to have a solid thread title name so more people are inclined to comment on the opinion lol.

I almost didn't click on this one.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
This too.

I met someone last semester who had to redo a course here at UNSW because the similar course at USyd was not accredited and deemed incomplete in comparison.

It can happen vice versa too. I also met someone who transferred straight from UWS, but did not have to redo any courses because they came to UNSW after 1 semester only of UWS.

Also note in future to have a solid thread title name so more people are inclined to comment on the opinion lol.

I almost didn't click on this one.
Yea that is true... but what are ur views about getting into a new course in a new campus ?

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yea that is true... but what are ur views about getting into a new course in a new campus ?
Its up to the person and what they want.

Like personally now I would not want to leave my campus or program because I've settled in pretty damn well.

However if you absolutely wanted to do something else, then changing your program and campus could be worthwhile.

Like it shouldn't take you more than 3-4 months to settle into uni a second time. First time it depends on the person and atmosphere. Although I settled in within 3 months my first time, only knowing two people at uni which I only see twice a semester and maybe once in my local suburb a semester.

Its possible though that there are people who take ages to settle into uni life.

Its basically a question of what you really want to do yourself and honestly just go for whatever investment benefits you most in the long term and is what you really want to do I guess. Changing campus and programs should not be a difficult thing as long as you feel more settled in than ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)