Overstudy and Burn out. (1 Viewer)

Shoot4stars

HSC
They principles of overdoing something can be related to sport although i don't know if it applies to studies also ,

At this point and time I'm starting construct my study regime for after new years and i was just inquiring what's the limit per day.
i was thinking of something along the lines of 4hours on a subject per day and alternating subjects you know like - monday - math - tuesday - english etc etc
with 10minute breaks every 45minutes.

anyway anyone have any ideas and thoughts on this for me ?

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
have a good balance between going out/sport and study.
e.g. i already have a habit of going to the gym in morning, then studying in the arvo.. or vice versa.
and if you want to go out, then study in the morning and go out or night.. or vice versa.
that way, when you've gone out for the day.. you will feel like you are behind and you feel like you need to study (so you will)
tbh i'm still doing a bit of work right now and i'm not burnt out at all.
i think thats the secret to studying without being burnt out.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I'd go something like 1.5 hours per subject per day, and try and not over 2 or 3 subjects at a time, that way you wont get sick of that subject.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
You won't enjoy doing 4 hours of one subject in a day for very long - I learnt that as a result of 6-8 hours preparation a day for my maths exams.

It wears you down and you begin to dislike the content. Just do a small amount so you're revising and getting stronger at certain things in your course.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
You won't enjoy doing 4 hours of one subject in a day for very long - I learnt that as a result of 6-8 hours preparation a day for my maths exams.

It wears you down and you begin to dislike the content. Just do a small amount so you're revising and getting stronger at certain things in your course.
I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but the question of study effectiveness is also raised here. You say that you studied 6-8 hours per day for your maths exams, and bearing in mind that these were the ONLY HSC exams you need to focus on, you still could not achieve band 6 results for these.

Now 6-8 hours per day on ONE subject sounds like a lot, and it is - I would understand, having completed the HSC myself. But if you haven't been able to get band 6s, and you've gotten only 89 for 2U maths (and now you plan on doing extension 2 maths), how can you honestly say that your study has been effective?

Perhaps you burnt yourself out with too much study on one subject, which thus limited the effectiveness of your study regime? Something to think about. I would think that it is quality over quantity.

I hope you don't take offence to this, but it's just something I thought I'd point out as a general thing to benefit all students. Don't study in EXCESS either, as this can be detrimental to your final results.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I try to relate it to things I like, for example, 90 minutes of study - split into 45 minute halves with 15 minutes break in between - with stoppage time included for any breaks like bathroom breaks or eating breaks or walking breaks.

I quite like it - it gets you an appreciation of what sportspeople do and gives you some sort of good study regime.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I try to relate it to things I like, for example, 90 minutes of study - split into 45 minute halves with 15 minutes break in between - with stoppage time included for any breaks like bathroom breaks or eating breaks or walking breaks.

I quite like it - it gets you an appreciation of what sportspeople do and gives you some sort of good study regime.
Haha that's good man, I'm gonna try that.

5qirtl3

Banned
HSC
i would suggest to have a balance of breaks and study and study whenever you feel like, you still have plenty of time before the HSC so find the time to relax :)

jet

Banned
HSC
Just follow your school timetable. Take a 2 minute break every half hour.

That way, you don't have to make a decision; it's already made for you.

If you want to go out, shift the timetable back/forward to suit you.

Plus, you get the appropriate amount of study time for each subject, already built into the time table.

Everybody wins.

CecilyMare

HSC
Everybody's a winner! QWOP Great anti-stress game.

No, this disabled Kenyan will pull the fucking hair out of your uterus/scrotum.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL CecilyMare.

These holidays are when a lot of the kids that work full on burn out. Try to find the right balance betwen going out, playing games, playing sport/exercise and working. Only then will you find that you will enjoy life, whilst at the same time, kicking ass in school. :)

bob fossil

HSC
You have to enjoy it and want to do it.

If you force yourself to do 4 hours a day you wont take much of it in and you will burn out quickly.

Make it your goal to study everyday, don't put a time limit on it just sit down and keep going till you want to do somthing else.

Only push through when writting eassys or doing past papers.

Apply the same principles that you would to endurance sport training.

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
How many free periods do you get every day?
If you get one or two, actually USE them, that's almost 1 or 2 hours,
Then you have the whole afternoon/evening to get two more done.
That's almost 3/4 hours and plenty of breaks (That said I do no work during actual lessons)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Wake up early (well, 7-ish, early for holidays), and do 2 or 3 hours, and reward yourself by doing something fun during the day. That way you'll feel like you've earned it, and won't feel guilty.
If you feel up for it do an hour or so at night, but make it something easy and more enjoyable.

Eddykungfu

HSC
If you haven't done LOADS of specific subject study before, I suggest starting off with 20 mins of a subjcet per day, because if you aren't used to it, apparently after 30 minutes, your efficiency decreases by 40% if you don't change things you work on.

As the year progresses, you'll obviuosly realise 20 minutes does not get you enough work done, thus you will be able to increase this.

Some days you may perhaps spend longer, 2 hours? On maths, and steal from other subjects but its all about your own personal preference to get the work done.

kenhuima

HSC
Hmmm oh yeahh i was playing wow for the entirety of the holidays and i still kicked the hsc in the balls =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)