Parents Divorced (1 Viewer)

HSC
OK. \

And you are telling me, someone who has a family with a severely disabled child, how the real world works? Trust me, I know. I'm speaking from the experience of my parents and other family member and their experiences in the workplace. If you are in a half decent job with a half decent firm, they want to keep their staff happy. I have experience. I have experienced the real World. I have experienced it from the age of 5 when he was born. But whatever. You obviously know more then I do about my own situation.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
michelleyeaman said:
I beg to differ. People deal with situations differently. If your parents were to get divorced tomorrow, you might deal with it in an effective way as not to disrupt your schooling. We don't know this persons situation, how they are dealing with it, how long the situation has been going on etc. All we know are the basic details. I don't think its about giving anyone an unfair advantage. I think it's about giving people the consideration they deserve. I have an autistic brother. I am applying for EAS. Because it is hard to cope. You have to experience these sorts of problems before in order to understand how hard it is. I am glad you don't have to experience these problems. Because I know it is a whole lot easier not too. It's not a matter of feeling sorry for yourself, I don't, it's about accepting the life you have and utilising the resources that are put in place to give you the assistance you need. I do my work, I study hard, I get good marks but I know that not eveyone has to look after a child with special needs in the same way a mother would. I know that not everyone has to wait til their 13 year old brother goes to sleep at 11pm before they can start 4 hours worth of study every night.

Sure, life is full of ups and downs. But you will find that in any situation, whether it be school, the workplace, anywhere, these circumstances are always taken into consideration. I'm glad you are so resilient and will never, EVER need to use such schemes. Really.
You shouldn't get special considerations either.

In the real world people don't care what problems you are having. You are treated the same as everyone else. EAS shouldn't exist at all because it makes stupid people like you think that everyone else is going to treat them specially their entire life just because they are having a hard time. Everyone has trouble sometimes. Life is sometimes hard. You just need to get used to it.

michelleyeaman said:
If you are in a half decent job with a half decent firm, they want to keep their staff happy.
That is only true to a certain point... after that you become a liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
You shouldn't get special considerations either.

In the real world people don't care what problems you are having. You are treated the same as everyone else. EAS shouldn't exist at all because it makes stupid people like you think that everyone else is going to treat them specially their entire life just because they are having a hard time. Everyone has trouble sometimes. Life is sometimes hard. You just need to get used to it.
LOL. Well, unfortunatley for you, your opinion means very little and the likelihood is is that I WILL get special consideration, as will many other people. It is hardly special treatment. And I am hardly stupid. But why shouldn't I apply for a scheme that exists especially for people in my sitution? I personally think that you, trying to lecture me, on the hardships of life etc, is actually quite ridiculous. But then, I won't personally sttack your intelligence over it. Of course I know life is hard, and I know everyone has tough times every now and then. And you would be surprised, people DO actually care and they are willing to consider these situations. And I am quite used to the hardships of life, having experienced them for 13 years.

munchybuddy

HSC
Without Wings said:
You don't get extra uai points - no one gets extra uai points for any reason. Everyone receives the UAI they gained, regardless of their situation. .

Actually u r wrong!!
People do get extra UAI points for lots of different reasons
If u go to ur career advisor or year co-ordinator and tell them about ur situation they can help u out.
I have a friend who is doin alot of sport so she misses out on alot of school, at the end of the year, because of these special considerations she is gunna get extra UAI points because she has been disadvantaged

Good Luck
Also, i no how hard it must b 4 u...
My parents are divorced 2, sux eh...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
That is fucked. Your friend chooses to do a lot of sport so she gets extra UAI points. How is that not an unfair advantage?

I didn't do any work in year 12 but I didn't do any sport either. If I would of done lots of sport in the time I wasn't studying anyway I could of been given extra UAI points. If only I knew that back then.

HSC
And considering BOTH my parents have maintained the same jobs for 20 years, I hardly think they have been deemed a liability.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
michelleyeaman said:
LOL. Well, unfortunatley for you, your opinion means very little and the likelihood is is that I WILL get special consideration, as will many other people. It is hardly special treatment. And I am hardly stupid. But why shouldn't I apply for a scheme that exists especially for people in my sitution? I personally think that you, trying to lecture me, on the hardships of life etc, is actually quite ridiculous. But then, I won't personally sttack your intelligence over it. Of course I know life is hard, and I know everyone has tough times every now and then. And you would be surprised, people DO actually care and they are willing to consider these situations. And I am quite used to the hardships of life, having experienced them for 13 years.
No one cares about how hard your life is. Do you think you are going to convince more people to have sympathy for you if you keep saying how bad it is? You may think it is tough for you but there are plenty of people out there who have it much worse and who aren't complaining about it so get over yourself.

I didn't say you wouldn't get it, I said that you shouldn't get it because it is an unfair advantage.

Surely there are other ways to help people who have problems during the HSC instead of just adding marks on at the end.

HSC
Tulipa said:
EDIT: Also, I work at a law firm. If you were going through a divorce, there would be leeway allowed but missing a lot of work, not being reliable and missing deadlines without notice will get you fired.[/quote

That is the point I was attempting to make. The same rule generally applies in most workplces in relation to a number of situations. I think that human nature and compassion applies in such situations.

HSC
munchybuddy said:
Actually u r wrong!!
People do get extra UAI points for lots of different reasons
If u go to ur career advisor or year co-ordinator and tell them about ur situation they can help u out.
I have a friend who is doin alot of sport so she misses out on alot of school, at the end of the year, because of these special considerations she is gunna get extra UAI points because she has been disadvantaged
minor detail really. what WW is saying is that the UAI you get is what you get without considerations. if your friend got a 80.00 UAI it's because she worked for that mark. however when uni offers come around and all that, because she has special considerations and all that they will look at her UAI and take into consideration that she has played massive amounts of spot. so she has a good chance of getting into courses with a cutoff of 85, for example where other students who also got 80.00 would miss out.

but effectively its the same thing. if that all makes sense.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
michelleyeaman said:
Tulipa said:
EDIT: Also, I work at a law firm. If you were going through a divorce, there would be leeway allowed but missing a lot of work, not being reliable and missing deadlines without notice will get you fired.
That is the point I was attempting to make. The same rule generally applies in most workplces in relation to a number of situations. I think that human nature and compassion applies in such situations.
Not really. A lot of workplaces won't be that nice, it's because it's a law firm and they're persistently afraid of lawsuits.

Letting people get such special consideration early on can lead to an abuse of the system and a feeling that if you have gotten away with it for so long why won't it continue?

*I said "can", not all the time but it certainly happens.

HSC
I think any reputable workplace is afraid of a lawsuit. Obviously lawfirms in particular. But both my parents work for government agencies. Same concept applies. I also work for a large company which is aware of my situtation. They also give some consideration. Many of the other families we know are the same. Most workplaces are willing to look into these situations.

And clearly there will always be people who try to abuse the system, the same applies to many, many schemes and systems such as this. Unemployment benefits, carer payments, etc, they all have the same problem, I know there are people out there who are only in it for a free buck and a bludge but in most situations thats not the case. And on the other hand, lots of people don't like to air their dirty laundry so it often goes under the radar.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
michelleyeaman said:
Most workplaces are willing to look into these situations.
Actually I would say most workplaces wouldn't give any special considerations. If work needs to be done and you can't do it then they need to find someone else.

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
No one cares about how hard your life is. Do you think you are going to convince more people to have sympathy for you if you keep saying how bad it is? You may think it is tough for you but there are plenty of people out there who have it much worse and who aren't complaining about it so get over yourself.

I didn't say you wouldn't get it, I said that you shouldn't get it because it is an unfair advantage.

Surely there are other ways to help people who have problems during the HSC instead of just adding marks on at the end.
I actually never said that my life is bad. I actually like it a lot and I love my brother like there is no tomorrow. I would never want to evoke sympathy because of him. Yes, my life is tough sometimes but that is being honest, I am not exaggerating, I am not seeking attention, but for the most part I like it. My situation is very different, not bad, that is what EAS is about. It is not about getting sympathy. The people who decide whether or not I get it, I dont even know them! Why on earth would I want their sympathy? That is completely stupid! I would never complain about a family member I value so much. I personally think you should get over judging peoples lives and situations.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
michelleyeaman said:
OK. \

And you are telling me, someone who has a family with a severely disabled child, how the real world works? Trust me, I know. I'm speaking from the experience of my parents and other family member and their experiences in the workplace. If you are in a half decent job with a half decent firm, they want to keep their staff happy. I have experience. I have experienced the real World. I have experienced it from the age of 5 when he was born. But whatever. You obviously know more then I do about my own situation.
...where did I tell you I knew more about your situation than you do?

You said;

But you will find that in any situation, whether it be school, the workplace, anywhere, these circumstances are always taken into consideration
any situation? anywhere? always taken into consideration?

No.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Look, it was there for a reason. To help consider what some people might go through. Yes, it's of a good principle--if you're in circumstances which will direly affect your marks, then they will get recognised.

But some people abuse it, and what can you do about it? The world's like that. I would say that hardly anything in this world is bad to start off with--what about things like heroin (offshoot of a lab trying to develop an effective painkiller), cars (meant to get us from A to B not get used by a bunch of idiotic drivers), computers (obviously for communication but people get addicted to the Internet, video games and other computer media), etc.

I sympathise with your situation michelleyeaman, but by all means do not rely on it as your salvation, as a lot of people fall into the trap of doing. but by your posts that won't seem to be an issue :)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I wouldn't ever give anyone special considerations.
So if i suddenly go blind, or if i lose both arms, i shouldn't be given special consideration?

Shitty logic, yours is.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
michelleyeaman said:
I actually never said that my life is bad. I actually like it a lot and I love my brother like there is no tomorrow. I would never want to evoke sympathy because of him. Yes, my life is tough sometimes but that is being honest, I am not exaggerating, I am not seeking attention, but for the most part I like it. My situation is very different, not bad, that is what EAS is about. It is not about getting sympathy. The people who decide whether or not I get it, I dont even know them! Why on earth would I want their sympathy? That is completely stupid! I would never complain about a family member I value so much. I personally think you should get over judging peoples lives and situations.
Yes you did. That is exactly what you were doing. Sorry I am a bit drunk so I can't respond properly. Just pretend I copied and pasted my last post here because it says the same stuff... I judge everyone fairly.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
bringbackshred said:
So if i suddenly go blind, or if i lose both arms, i shouldn't be given special consideration?

Shitty logic, yours is.
No. You would need to learn to live with it. You can't do that when people are giving you special considerations.

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
michelleyeaman said:
And clearly there will always be people who try to abuse the system, the same applies to many, many schemes and systems such as this. Unemployment benefits, carer payments, etc, they all have the same problem, I know there are people out there who are only in it for a free buck and a bludge but in most situations thats not the case. And on the other hand, lots of people don't like to air their dirty laundry so it often goes under the radar.
Yeah like in the following case.

What a ridiculous and pathetic reason for EAS. Damn, whoever approves EAS for that kind of reason is a bloody moron. It's the equivalent of granting special consideration to someone who can't be bothered to study. After all, in both cases the person is choosing to do an unnecessary thing that they know will get in the way of their studies.

In spite of most of the things which have been said in this thread, I'd say that you should just take advantage of whatever loop holes (eg. EAS) there are. However, you're completely senseless if you think that EAS is fair in any way shape or form.

Of course not. If you were afflicted with those conditions you wouldn't be able to study or make any effective use of your education anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)