Parents Divorced (1 Viewer)

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
It's all some form of special consideration.

While I'm at it, seeing that you're here and I have time now (unlike when some idiots raised the issue during the exam period) and I don't want to revive an old thread - a response to that 'what makes a good teacher' issue.

At the very least, a geniunely good (early career) teacher has a very broad and deep knowledge of areas related to the one they teach. If they don't have the knowledge (ie. high uni marks) or motivation (again high uni marks) nor interest in areas they teach (again, high uni marks) then they can't make a good teacher full stop. For idiots like the moron who said "wrong" and then went off on a typically verbose artsy tangent last time, note that I am not saying that these are the only characteristics of a good teacher, but rather, that they are the minimum criteria which a good (early career) teacher satisifies. But of course, these days mediocre is adequate and good is a bonus when it comes to teachers.

Last edited:

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
EAS shouldn't exist at all because it makes stupid people like you think that everyone else is going to treat them specially their entire life just because they are having a hard time.
I do agree with some of what you've said in this thread, but I completely disagree with this. If the EAS didn't exist I wouldn't have had the chance to go to university. Yeah shit happens in life and you need to deal with it, but its not always that easy. I was completely prevented from doing well in my HSC, my schooing was screwed up after always being a top student. It wasn't my fault and it wasn't something I could just get over and deal with. I don't see why people who like me have been severely disadvantaged by something should miss out on getting into uni, or wherever they want to be, when it's not something you can control.

It's not about getting sympathy, that's usually the last thing anyone wants. You can never judge a person's situation from the outside because you're not that person and you don't know how much it's affecting them. People do take advantage of the system (oh I could go on forever about them and how much they piss me off) but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
^^^
- It's too hard to tell who has had genuine problems and who is just doing it for the extra marks.
- Of the people who have had genuine problems there is no way of knowing how bad their problem was in comparison to other people's problems.
- There is no really good way of knowing how well a person would of done if they weren't having difficulties.

As long as EAS exists there are going to be people who get an unfair advantaged out of it. I don't see why people who have been severely disadvantaged can't just redo the HSC.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
^^^
- It's too hard to tell who has had genuine problems and who is just doing it for the extra marks.
- Of the people who have had genuine problems there is no way of knowing how bad their problem was in comparison to other people's problems.
- There is no really good way of knowing how well a person would of done if they weren't having difficulties.

As long as EAS exists there are going to be people who get an unfair advantaged out of it. I don't see why people who have been severely disadvantaged can't just redo the HSC.
- There's always going to be genuine people who need it, why should they be punished by having to redo the HSC for the sake of a few dishonest idiots? That's ridiculous. Also, circumstances can impact over more than a year, repeating won't help then. I did Pathways over 2 years, almost ended up having to do 3, no way would I have then repeated it all.

- A qualifed person (doctor etc) states how severely a person's affected, plus lots of supporting evidence, statments etc. That only determines whether you're approved or not. Everyone gets given the same leeway when it comes to getting into uni, competing against other EAS applicants for a course (which I don't think is fair...)

- That's why they don't give out estimated marks and UAI's, because they know you can't predict it.

There's always going to be people who take advantage of every system that exists in life, like the centerlink, disability payments, welfare, insurance payments - does that mean they shouldn't exist either?

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Sprinkles~ said:
- There's always going to be genuine people who need it, why should they be punished by having to redo the HSC for the sake of a few dishonest idiots? That's ridiculous. Also, circumstances can impact over more than a year, repeating won't help then. I did Pathways over 2 years, almost ended up having to do 3, no way would I have then repeated it all.

- A qualifed person (doctor etc) states how severely a person's affected, plus lots of supporting evidence, statments etc. That only determines whether you're approved or not. Everyone gets given the same leeway when it comes to getting into uni, competing against other EAS applicants for a course (which I don't think is fair...)

- That's why they don't give out estimated marks and UAI's, because they know you can't predict it.

There's always going to be people who take advantage of every system that exists in life, like the centerlink, disability payments, welfare, insurance payments - does that mean they shouldn't exist either?
You don't need to be dishonest to get an unfair advantage from it.
They can do a third year, take the lower mark, or give up and quit all together. There still shouldn't be special considerations.

That only works for medical problems, not other issues. It also says nothing about how much work they would of done if they weren't disadvantaged. If I was really sick in year 12 I wouldn't of missed out on class because I didn't pay attention anyway and I wouldn't of missed out on study because I did almost nothing to start with. So how would it be fair if I got special considerations for that?

noobsgetowned

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
No. You would need to learn to live with it. You can't do that when people are giving you special considerations.
I hope not, but incase If Something Like that ever happens to you ( Lose both arms, Go blind etc), Im sure you will Change your Opinion. Im pretty sure you didnt have to go through any problems during HSC and thats why you dont support the system.

Last edited:

Gosford

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
EAS shouldn't exist at all because it makes stupid people like you think that everyone else is going to treat them specially their entire life just because they are having a hard time.
Uh...
it doesnt
young individuals given the chance to pursue dreams
affected by living choices that arent theirs to make
it is a method to rectify the 'bad things' in the world
also, UAC r extremely harsh on these sort of things
they probably (dont know any figures) reject more genuine candidates then accept, in order to keep it fair for people like you.
At my school, students are required to have several sessions with school counsellor (up to 10) in order to analyse and etermine their need.
I personally went to the counsellor from recommendation of teacher. I never had any reason for EAS, in fact i never heard of it b4 counsellor suggested it to me

ashleypage

HSC
I honestly don't think that a parents divorce is reason enough for a young adult to be given the extra marks. There are definitely points where it should be, like having a sick/disabled relative living with you, but divorce is SO common nowadays that essentially half the people doing the HSC would be able to use that as an excuse, which I do think it is.

While it can be traumatic to a point, you are at a stage where it should not affect you so much as to be considered at a disadvantage to your fellow students, many of whom may be experiencing the same thing. I think we're old enough to understand that divorce is often the best route in a marriage, and to deal with it accordingly.

Gosford

HSC
ashleypage said:
I honestly don't think that a parents divorce is reason enough for a young adult to be given the extra marks.
i agree with you to an extent
but it does vary to the extent a divorce can have on people and it can cause psychological torment

look i was talking to two counsellors at school
one said to apply for divorce circumstances
one said for hayfever disrupting my studies (my hayfever falres up once a mopnth bad)
i refuse to apply for hayfever as it hasnt at all disadvantaged me, and it would be thrown out the window anyway

the UAC committee of *****(something) deicdes whether or not it is a genuine problem

my parents getting diovreced want the problem (i was actually to an extent relieved), it was the problems that started a month later

look overall wat i am trying to say is that applying for a divroce needs substantial evidence
eg. moving a lot, or something similar
psychological trauma
etc.

after talking to counsellor i found that divorce is one of the hardest things to get EAS for, as most likely a lot of people would apply for it as a lot of kids parentds get divorced, ie. a person ith a death in family would have better chances (and rightfully so, most circumstances death of someone like a parent would be worse than divorce)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)