• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Parents?-Overreactive (1 Viewer)

typo

HSC
You have it easy...
My parents are in this little parent cult. Where they trade HSC tips and gather details. My mum even e-mails me little messages about getting potential marks. It's quiet depressing, really. And they really expect a perfect score from me. Just cause they were little Asian nerd when they were young, they expect me to be. Not happening.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
My parents expect me to get over 95 and my dad hopes that i beat my cousin's UAI that he got last year of 98.15.

Other than that, they leave me alone and it's all up to me. I think i put more pressure on myself than anyone else does though XD

jubz

HSC
wow that sucks. my dad didn't do the hsc and mum was forced to by her rents so they dont put any pressure on me at all. i'm the first kid going thru the hsc as well, my sister ended at year ten but for some reason they don't have any real expectations of us. just lucky i guess :)

Winn

HSC
My parents expect me to get 99+, which i guess isn't that bad cos its possible if i stop procrastinating XD
BUT then they want me to get a scholarship. Since I'm not that involved in community stuff etc, the only hope is if I get 99.5+ so I could get a merit scholarship:spzz:. They are not that harsh on me, but I would feel so bad if I don't get it because I would have disappointed them(and myself) so much.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Many Asian parents (mine included) perceive the HSC in a clear-cut way.
If you fail, you fail at life, hence you live a shitty life.
If you succeed, you win at life, hence you live a good life.
Such an argument on their part makes them overreact. This is perfectly understandable as all in all, what they really want is for you to succeed and live a good life.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
and when u study, did u finish off wat was left of the topic or did u begin from the very beginnin? how do u go about studying any tips, im currently doin about 3hrs which is pretty bad as i dun get much done
I'm starting from the beginning because that's what i need to refresh - what i'm doing right now (the end of my topic) is already in my head :)

I can't really help you with your studying habits; you just need to find the motivation to actually doing work yoursel.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
sweet as m8 yeh i started from the start
LOL, you're probably doing fine anyway ;)

Back on topic: Whoever has parents that pressure them, just ignore them and do what you feel like. It's basically up to you and whether or not you want to study 24/7 for the HSC or have a life!

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Many Asian parents (mine included) perceive the HSC in a clear-cut way.
If you fail, you fail at life, hence you live a shitty life.
If you succeed, you win at life, hence you live a good life.
Such an argument on their part makes them overreact. This is perfectly understandable as all in all, what they really want is for you to succeed and live a good life.
that is most likely true

a 99 uai-er will most likely have a better life than a 80 uai-er

brad616

HSC
that is most likely true

a 99 uai-er will most likely have a better life than a 80 uai-er
Not necessarily... first of all a UAI of 80 isnt that bad anyway; its actually quite good! And also it depends on the course. For example, the 99 UAI-er may be pressured by his/her parents to do a course that her/her may not like whereas the person with an 80 UAI may get in to a good course that he/she loves depending on bonus points, access scheme etc.

hairspray

HSC
Well my brother got a uai of 30 a couple of years ago so i don't have much to live up to.

But my parents put indirect pressure on me like my dad constantly shower me with gifts every saturday after i finish my 2 hour maths tutoring lesson and then takes me out to some place to eat and then he says "We give you the opportunity to learn, wear nice clothes, eat like royalty so imagine if you get a low uai". By low he means anything below 99.
My response: "yerh yerh yerh, i'll get 90. 90 is good enough"

And don't get me started on how my dad reacted when i told him i was thinking of applying for accounting cadetships, he went through this emo stage for a week... i felt so sorry for him.

So yesss... my dad can be overreactive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)