parents vs partner (1 Viewer)

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
hokay, so this has probably been done to death.
i was wondering what people thought about any conflict that could arise between their current or any potential partners they might have and one/both of their parents. would you take your parents advice or stay with the person you're with? does it matter what your family thinks of your partner or is that just something on the side that doesnt really influence the relationship? do your parents influence your view of your partner or visa versa?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
would you take your parents advice or stay with the person you're with?
I'm sure in real life i'd be so smitten if such a situation occured that I wouldn't listen to my parents, but I'd like to think I would. My parents have never done wrong by me in the past, I have seen my older brother go through alot of crap because he stayed with a hooker instead of listening to my parents advice... so I would hope that my parents views would matter to me in such a situation.

Beckiki_S

I call President!
HSC
it really depends on how warranted their concerns/objections were- like is my partner hated by all or just my parents (because of a generation gap or because they were being overprotective and wanted me to stay their little girl).
I would probably choose my rents unless I was fully in love with the guy, but then again, I'm fairly confident my parents would never interfere to such a degree.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I hate to say it but my mum thought all my previous boyfriends were complete asses, and she turned out to be right. Except this time she thinks he's pretty good so... heres hoping

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
azzie said:
would you take your parents advice or stay with the person you're with?
Depends........i might agree :rolleyes:

does it matter what your family thinks of your partner or is that just something on the side that doesnt really influence the relationship?
It shouldnt matter what your family thinks. It shouldnt really effect the relationship. If they do have opinions that they want heard...they should be shared tactfully, as criticisms can be hard to take.

do your parents influence your view of your partner or visa versa?
I dont think they do, well consciously. There may be some underlying psychological influence. But nothing to the point as "They are ____ " or "They dont _____"

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
it would depend on why they didn't like him.

if it was coz of racial (ie. "he isn't Greek, u can't go out with him"), then fuck that, i'd stay with him. and my folks would have to deal with it.

if it was more genuine, such as age gap, them being able to see that he's a nutter, then i'd reconsider. but i wouldn't just trust my parents' advice. i'd go to friends, family, cousins, etc.

parents are biased, and they're definitely not always right.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i'd take their opinion....but it's my life, if i feel strongly for someone (which i do) then what my parents think won't make me give up, i'd just try convincing them, if not, then that's thier problem.

HSC
My parents' opinion on my boyfriend is quite important to me, but ultimately it's my decision. I'd consider their comments and look into them myself to make my own decision. But I'm quite confident that my parents are going to love him =) Who wouldn't heh.

hipPo3

HSC
I would consider my parents thoughts on the situation ... But if it's not justified or too simple then i would ignore it.

Family means alot to me.

malkin86

HSC
I would hope that my boyfriend and my family would make an effort to be nice to each other - it makes things easier all round that way.

In the same way, as a sister, my brother's girlfriend can really be annoying - she's just a very vague and philosophical/debatey type of a person, to the extent where you can say "the sky is blue" and she'll say 'well, not *really*...' :p She's fun to tease my brother with, though, and nice enough. :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
oh azzie..

i hope you and tom and the parents are okay.... *sends you kisses*

unless this topic was totally non-semi-autobiographical..

HSC
N/A
I completely respect my parents, and they completely respect me. Any choice of partner would have to be ok with them.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
oh azzie..

i hope you and tom and the parents are okay.... *sends you kisses*

unless this topic was totally non-semi-autobiographical..
well kinda :p
my mum started on the "at uni, you'll meet so many guys rah rah" thing. but who gives a blow, i really dont! I was just wondering what people think :)

ill accept those kisses anyway!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'm with Ntb. In general my parents advice is pretty good (and I don't have to worry about 'race' issues with a partner and their acceptance), so I'd like to pretend that I'd listen to their advice however my stubborness and all I'd probably just get angry and get even closer to my partner if they objected.

Ultimately though they would likley be proved right and I wrong. Something I would only ever actually admit if drunk.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
how about another question? who actually tells parents that they have a gf/bf. i know i cant yet. its a chinese thing. :D

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
transcendent said:
lol i told you uni and meatups are big things azzie :p
only im not dating my boyfriend to fill in time hey.
honestly i dont see how uni changes anything, unless you already have doubts about your relationship. and ive been through my "lets go to parties, get drunk and kiss lots of guys" phase.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm sure in real life i'd be so smitten if such a situation occured that I wouldn't listen to my parents, but I'd like to think I would.
thats how i feel too...and ive noticed i have a tendancy to be attracted to muslim girls (which is really bad when your a hindu...vice versa)...so i know probably in the future this situation will arise...and i will ignore my parents objections...but theyve done so much for me its pretty slack...very difficult situation...i think it'll depend on instinct (re: the seriousness of the relationship)...

HSC
I'd trust my parent's judgement to an extent, but know that my girlfriend wouldn't, given they've suggested she wait til she's 23 before she goes out with anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)