Passport.. (1 Viewer)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
How long does it take to get a normal Australian passport?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
natstar said:
It just makes it easier to travel from country to country aorund Europe. When I go I plan to stay for a few months and work there, so its better I have a EU passport than a VISA.

And how do you plan to get one? You have to be a citizen. That is the whole point of passports.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
How long does it take to get a normal Australian passport?
Mine took 3 weeks, but you can get one within 3 days if you pay a bit more.

MouNtY

i got mine the day after i applied for it. like the other person said you pay a little extra, but it's good that you can get it as soon as you need it, especially if you're like me and always leaving things til the last minute. i got my passport the day before i left

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Hmm..
It appears there will be no passport for me...
Ill ring up a consulate one of these days and check it out..

Thanks for the replies guys!

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Ms 12 said:
Mine took 3 weeks, but you can get one within 3 days if you pay a bit more.

DooNy_TeChY said:
i got mine the day after i applied for it. like the other person said you pay a little extra, but it's good that you can get it as soon as you need it, especially if you're like me and always leaving things til the last minute. i got my passport the day before i left

I'll try and get it organised by the end of this week hopefully!

somecooldude

HSC
so are you a citizen of the netherlands?

it depends which poilicy the netherlands goes by. "jus soli" or "jus sanguini"

these are latin i think?

jus soli means that if you born in that country, you gain automatic citizenship, hence soli for soil.

jus sanguini means that you automatically acquire the citizenship of your parents at the time of your birth. so, if your parents were still citizens of the netherlands at the time of your birth, you would be a citizen of the netherlands. but only if the netherlands uses the jus sanguini policy.

im not sure if a country can go by both but.. lol

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
somecooldude said:
so are you a citizen of the netherlands?

it depends which poilicy the netherlands goes by. "jus soli" or "jus sanguini"
cmooooooooooooon jus soli

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
MiuMiu said:
No, being born in another country has nothing to do with it. If both your parents are Australian, you are Australian. Just because you were physically born in a country doesn't mean you are automatically a citizen of the country.

I was born in Canada, but it doesn't mean I am entitled to a Canadian passport, that is just where my mother happened to give birth.
thats actually not true.

my sister and brother were born there and have citizenship. they're also citizens of the states and have united states passports (parents are both american) and of australia and have australian passports (we became citizens a few years ago)

HOWEVER they cannot hold a canadian passport unless they renounce either american or australian citizenship.

:uhhuh: just my two cents. (though belated)

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
It is a different case for me, i cannot get dual Australian/Danish citizenship if i have never payed tax there, that sucks big time and its so high there.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Tulipa said:
my sister and brother were born there and have citizenship. they're also citizens of the states and have united states passports (parents are both american) and of australia and have australian passports (we became citizens a few years ago)
Were you residents at the time? I have never ever heard of someone automatically being entitled to citizenship purely because they were born there.

I know for a fact that I am not entitled to a Canadian passport.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
I know this is a bit late, but I have a question..

Natstar, you know how you got a UK passport.. I already read all the stuff but I just wanted to make sure of something.. is your dad naturalised i.e an australian citizen and did it matter when or if he became one? I know with my dad, because he was naturalised before I was born I couldn't get an Italian passport jure sanguinis but does it matter with the UK ones?

and I know this is a bit random, but I'm just curious to know and I couldn't find the information that I was looking for (I'm not actually going to apply, I'm just wondering if I could).. My grandmother was born in India and lived there for 20 years until she moved to the UK and eventually here. Does anyone know the eligibility rules about getting an indian passport through grandparents?

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Dual citizenship

Here's a step by step guide
1) Write down the country you want it in
2) Write down your relationship with that country (grandparents citizens, born there, parents citizens etc)
3) Open up www.whitepages.com.au
4) Type in "Country consulate" replacing country with whatever country you want
5) Pick NSW metropolitan area and search
6) Write down the phone number and call them
7) Tell them everything in number 2 you remember and ask what are your chances to be dual with Australia. If they are busy or you are in an STD zone give them your number to call back.
8) Before you say "great sign me up" ask if there is any compulsory military service for citizens and what the odds are of you being pulled in for duty while in Australia and what the chances are if you go back there for a 2 week holiday of being pulled in.
9) Get them to send out the info and fill it in send it back.
10) Profit!

Laws change all the time find out from the consulate not another forum member :)
Took me 5 minutes on the phone and a trip down to their offices with paperwork and a few weeks wait to get mine all sorted.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah a friend of mine was born in Aust. but both of her parents are malteses (born in Malta but Aust citizens)

she is planning to go to England for 6 months and it is cheaper for her to get a Maltese passport (which allows you to work anywhere in the EU) than apply for a visa

i actually dont know what this post has to do with ANYTHING

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
ihavenothing said:
It is a different case for me, i cannot get dual Australian/Danish citizenship if i have never payed tax there, that sucks big time and its so high there.
What are you talking about ???? I was not born in DK but if you have a Danish parent you are entitled to a Danish passport until you're 21, and to be able to keep it afterwards you have to have spent at least a whole continuous year in Demark and be registered on the 'people register', so my citizenship is sweet as I lived there when I was younger.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)