past 4u students- did your school have time to teach mechanics? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I heard some schools just skip this topic
is this because some teachers are incapable of teaching mech so they evade it by slowing down?
was mechanics included in your trials?
ours was but it was just q's based on an object falling or accelerating up.

lou071

HSC
N/A
I heard some schools just skip this topic
is this because some teachers are incapable of teaching mech so they evade it by slowing down?
was mechanics included in your trials?
ours was but it was just q's based on an object falling or accelerating up.
yep, went through all topics

independantz

HSC
Nah, we didn't have mechanics in our trial , except we quite comfortably finished it afterwards.

Smithereens

HSC
No mechanics in our trials. We had to go to school on the holidays to finish Mechanics, and had to do harder 3u by ourselves.

HSC
N/A
No mechanics in our trials. We had to go to school on the holidays to finish Mechanics, and had to do harder 3u by ourselves.
oh yeh, i forgot about harder 3u, we managed that after trials but school during holz... i feel sorry for you guys =(

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Mechanics is supposed to be the longest topic of all 8 topics. Unfortunately, many teachers do not treat it thoroughly and hence rush it to finish the course on time.

jet

Banned
HSC
We had time. We left mechanics till the end, so that if we got to the trials then we would be ok not having it, though it turned out we got everything done before then.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Well at our school our trials are at the start of Term 3, so obviously Mechanics wouldn't be covered.

I think Harder 3U, Mechanics and Graphs are examined after the trials.

I've heard that mechanics requires logic like Physics. Some Maths teachers can't think this way and they have difficulty with Mechanics.

A really good Maths teacher at our school said to me that she absolutely hates Mechanics. She obviously doesn't get the concept of Physics involved. Whereas good another Maths teacher doesn't mind all topics of 4U, but he taught Physics before...

I dunno, maybe it's got something to do with females and males. My physics teacher told me that women have difficulty with some of the concepts involved. Although, not actually have done Mechanics, I can't comment on it as yet.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't worry too much about it. At my school, we've just started Complex ish, and we're only up to vectors (Complex is our first topic). And none of us are really panicky at the moment, so yeah.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah but you go to Sydney Boys high school... Instead of doing 4U in Term 4, you use the time to finish off the 3U course, and then later use some of the 3U lessons to complete 4U work.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I wouldn't worry too much about it. At my school, we've just started Complex ish, and we're only up to vectors (Complex is our first topic). And none of us are really panicky at the moment, so yeah.
You've accelerated 2U, and finished the whole 3U course. "Panicky?" Of course not.

Just.Snaz

HSC
yes we finished all 8 topics before trials.. teacher didn't give us a difficult mechanics question though so he wasn't too harsh

ascentyx

HSC
In all honesty, mechanics was overhyped. We were constantly told how insanely difficult it was going to be and in the end it was manageable. I'm pretty sure we had mechanics done by the trials btw.

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
the head maths teacher at my school said mechanics is what will determine some'1s success in this course. my 4u teacher said he has to definitely do more on mechanics be4 he teaches it to me (this is his first time teaching the course). but mechanics is what im looking forward to most, after excelling in physics so far it looks like fun. and my physics teacher is really good at maths ( although he hasnt taught maths be4 ) so i suppose i could get help from him if needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)