Pastors reject apology order over Koran comments (1 Viewer)

spell check

HSC
since this

RACIAL AND RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE ACT 2001 - SECT 25

25. Offence of serious religious vilification

(1) A person (the offender) must not, on the ground of the
religious belief or activity of another person or class of persons,
intentionally engage in conduct that the offender knows is likely-

(a) to incite hatred against that other person or class of persons; and

(b) to threaten, or incite others to threaten, physical harm towards that
other person or class of persons or the property of that other person
or class of persons.

Note: "engage in conduct" includes use of the internet or e-mail to publish or
transmit statements or other material. Penalty: In the case of a body
corporate, 300 penalty units; In any other case, imprisonment for 6 months or
60 penalty units or both.

(2) A person must not, on the ground of the religious belief or activity of
another person or class of persons, knowingly engage in conduct with the
intention of inciting serious contempt for, or revulsion or severe ridicule
of, that other person or class of persons.

Note: "engage in conduct" includes use of the internet or e-mail to publish or
transmit statements or other material. Penalty: In the case of a body
corporate, 300 penalty units; In any other case, imprisonment for 6 months or
60 penalty units or both.

(3) For the purposes of sub-sections (1) and (2), conduct-

(a) may be constituted by a single occasion or by a number of occasions
over a period of time; and

(b) may occur in or outside Victoria

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
It's fucking hypocritical anyway. The entire Old Testament's full of "kill fucking everyone!!!!"

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Monkey Butler said:
It's fucking hypocritical anyway. The entire Old Testament's full of "kill fucking everyone!!!!"
OMG RELIGIOUS VILIFICATION! LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
its a load of shit, people should be able to express their own opinions, its not liek the pastor told his flock to go and kill al muslims... and no violence came out of it, i could almost understand it if they were charged after people attending their chruch went on a rampage and killed 17 muslims and a poodle... but that didnt happen. its like that bullshit insiting hate against the government law, means they can use it to stop you making negitive comments against the government

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Serius said:
its a load of shit, people should be able to express their own opinions, its not liek the pastor told his flock to go and kill al muslims... and no violence came out of it, i could almost understand it if they were charged after people attending their chruch went on a rampage and killed 17 muslims and a poodle... but that didnt happen. its like that bullshit insiting hate against the government law, means they can use it to stop you making negitive comments against the government
there were spreading bullshit about the Qua'ran and its contents and meaning..
its an evil book that teaches violence and terrorism..its the devils book etc..

that is a load of shit
..its not ok to spread that kind of stuff about different religons etc
its a very sensative topic...
incites hatred and quarrells between people and gets worse..as many peopel know alot of issues occur because of religious differences
so to keep the peace..dont talk shit about it especially if its not true
and especially at a 3 day seminar ina church..as a religious leader spreading stuff thats not true..

hm i repated myself alot..and said especially and not true alot..oh wellz

Generator

HSC
N/A
I would like to point out (to some), that there is a difference between speaking your mind and inciting hatred/violence through the use of derogatory comments based on lies.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Generator said:
I would like to point out (to some), that there is a difference between speaking your mind and inciting hatred/violence through the use of derogatory comments based on lies.
yeah there is a difference between saying to someone i believe or i think or my opinion of the koran is ....
and a difference in
teaching it to people at a seminar and as leader to people who will believe you and trust in your words etc
he wanst giving his opinion..he was giving a lecture lesson etc

HSC
im sure muslim extremists defame other religions as well.

it's all a cycle of theories and mental slavery

what's a 'sorry' going to do? make the muslim leaders ejaculate? it's a word, why is it newsworthy.

OMG HE DIDNT SAY A WORD TO ME MUMMY MUMMY SEND HIM TO HELL

Generator

HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Oh, you know what he said, do you?
What was reported in the press (both recently and last year), yes. Do you know what was said and the context within which it was conveyed?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Ah, the ever trust-worthy media.

I simply would prefer to know that the man did in fact tell people to, say, go and beat up Muslims, before I condemn him.

After all, we weren't at his seminars, so how can we in fact know the context?
Two pastors involved with the Catch the Fire Ministries were last year found to have vilified Muslims at a Christian conference, and on a website, by suggesting the Koran promotes violence and terrorism

something along the lines of that
i think it wqould have been more serious and a bit more in detail..then just the koran promotes violence and terrorism

Generator

HSC
N/A
Stop being such a child. The media in general isn't the evil manipulative force that you seemingly make it out to.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2005/s1398319.htm

He didn't incite violence, 'just' hate. I agree with Barry Walters (see the transcript), but at times there can be a very fine line being voicing deeply held convictions and inciting hatred (which may well lead on to further abuse, be it physical or not).

Freedom of speech (in an Australian context) is a great thing, yet there are times when many seem to forget that it's a 'freedom' that should be exercised responsibly.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Suggesting that a religion's holy book promotes immoral things does not mean you are vilifying those who follow it. That is like saying that that since you do not agree with me, you must necessarily hate me. Ludicrous.
Ah, the point is that the Koran does not incite such things, but the pastor went ahead with his speech given his 'deeply held convictions', anyway.

Another article - http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/06/22/1119321792033.html

Generator

HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
I've read enough of the Koran to know that it does do such things, Generator. Just as the Bible does. While they cover these themes, they are not the focus, that is true.

You are free to defend your source of information on this matter, but please recognise it is not about to be bias-free. Journalists of all people have a story to tell. You know as well as I do that words alone mean nothing. There's plenty of context surrounding this affair which we are conveniently not supplied with.

Further we are not even considering whether his words hold any truth or not. As "terrible" a prospect as it is, perhaps his words should first be considered, then refuted (if they are in fact found to lack validity) instead of knee-jerk reactions demanding his silence?

Would not open, logical counters to his claims be more beneficial to the identitiy of Islam than law suits?
Don't try and explain to me the nature of bias in the media, as I am well aware of it and account for it. Perhaps that is something that you could try one day, too?

As far as I can see, his words were considered as a part of the court ruling, and as far as I'm aware part of the reason for the law being created was to enable such claims to be assessed in a reasonable, controlled and impartial manner. I'm assuming that that means nothing to you, though.

tattoodguy

yeah, the government and our legal system should concentrate on more serious fucking things.

We should have the right to say whatever we fucking want, and good on him for whatever he fuckign said.

our government is too politicallly correct, its pathetic, we invite all these foreigners over to our country with all their religions and cultures and watever and then we dont even have a right to larf at them and put them down.

They live in our fucking white country, they should cop it on the chin.

If you dont like how your treated here go home.

who gives a shit what he said about muslims - look at what muslims have been doing lately - as if they should be complaining.

These pppple have some fucking nerve.

soha, who gives a shit if he mis quoated the koran or whatever - honestly if i was a muslim, with all the terrorism etc in the world - i would be ashamed of myself.

u dont deserve the right to complain. what about ur religion dont u stone people to death? dont u have like fucking marriages like bigomy and shit?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
tattoodguy said:
who gives a shit what he said about muslims - look at what muslims have been doing lately - as if they should be complaining.

These pppple have some fucking nerve.

soha, who gives a shit if he mis quoated the koran or whatever - honestly if i was a muslim, with all the terrorism etc in the world - i would be ashamed of myself.

u dont deserve the right to complain. what about ur religion dont u stone people to death? dont u have like fucking marriages like bigomy and shit?
haha i dont complain
if anything all i ever read from you is your complaining about the gov and shit
i never complained in this forum..i was just discussing it..
i dont even give a shit really...coz u know these things they happen
im not ashamed of what muslims have been doing because i like to think of myself as a good muslim and thats what im worried about being the best perosn i can be
and there is a difference between a MUSLIM PERSON AND ISLAM THE RELIGON ITSELF..
so i will always be proud of islam..just some muslims who fuck it up its disappointing that they do these wrongful things and claim it to be in the name of islam
um..yeah you get stoned to death when you commit certain crimes..and so what?..i dont have a problem with it
dont do the crime and you wont be stoned..
and yes men are allowed to marry 4 wives..but its deeper then that
im sick of peopel talking shit like you and they dont even know half of its meaning and what its about
u take things out of context and thats that

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
soha said:
um..yeah you get stoned to death when you commit certain crimes..and so what?..i dont have a problem with it
dont do the crime and you wont be stoned..
and yes men are allowed to marry 4 wives..but its deeper then that
im sick of peopel talking shit like you and they dont even know half of its meaning and what its about
u take things out of context and thats that
So having a woman stoned to death because she was raped was ok?

She may have been technically committing a crime according to the Koran, but it was not her choice, she should not be punished.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Xayma said:
So having a woman stoned to death because she was raped was ok?

She may have been technically committing a crime according to the Koran, but it was not her choice, she should not be punished.
no thats not ok
just because it happens doenst mean it is going by proper laws
if 2 people commit adultery and there is 3 witnesses
the man and woman get stoned
not just the woman..and especially if she gets raped she shouldnt be punished at all
i dont know why it happens all fucked up in otehr countrys etc..like in africa but its not right
im outraged as much as otehr people when it happens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)