People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
Re: Re: 'Slice of Heaven' and 'drolle'

Originally posted by Shocker_85
hi i hate my phys teacher...
how shud i study....i havent been performing very well.
Hmm, first thing, DON't let your hatred of your teacher be the cause of you failing physics. He/she's not worth it.

Secondly, since you can't rely on your teacher, you have two main options. Read thru the dot-points / textbooks (i used jackaranda). If you feel you don't understand anything and you've given it your best shot already, seriously consider getting a tutor (that's when you start asking around). If you understand some things, it's alright, u don't need to waste the money.

Thirdly, if physics is your worst subject, you'll need to shift a larger proportion of your study time doing physics, and more and more until you feel physics is catching up to your next worst subject. Then when that happens it'll be your two last subjects competing not to be last.

That's if you're determined.

If you're doin very badly at phys and you don't really need the extra 2 units because you're caning at everything else, just drop phys.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Re: Re: Re: 'Slice of Heaven' and 'drolle'

Originally posted by spice girl

Hmm, first thing, DON't let your hatred of your teacher be the cause of you failing physics. He/she's not worth it.

Secondly, since you can't rely on your teacher, you have two main options. Read thru the dot-points / textbooks (i used jackaranda). If you feel you don't understand anything and you've given it your best shot already, seriously consider getting a tutor (that's when you start asking around). If you understand some things, it's alright, u don't need to waste the money.

Thirdly, if physics is your worst subject, you'll need to shift a larger proportion of your study time doing physics, and more and more until you feel physics is catching up to your next worst subject. Then when that happens it'll be your two last subjects competing not to be last.

That's if you're determined.

If you're doin very badly at phys and you don't really need the extra 2 units because you're caning at everything else, just drop phys.
Yeah I ended up dropping it... my teacher sucked. My parents wouldn't let me get a Physics tutor this early in the year. And I lost interest very quickly... I also thought 13u would be too much to cope with but having seen good performances from people who did 13u I sometimes regret having dropped it. Oh well. Will just have to work hard with everything else.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MiKeY
How long before the HSC exams did you start studying?
study from day one is preferable ... dont do what i did and start studying two weeks before the first exam ... but im half use to the half-learn/half-cram at the same time ...

Halba

Sure study is necessary

But it all comes down to your ability, and how good you are. Maths is the prime example as some people (mostly Asians, sri lankans and indians) have a better maths brain than others.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Halba
Sure study is necessary

But it all comes down to your ability, and how good you are. Maths is the prime example as some people (mostly Asians, sri lankans and indians) have a better maths brain than others.
I disagree. It appears that way yes but maths is really just a matter of practice. My maths skills were really poor until I started actually working hard for it.

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

I disagree. It appears that way yes but maths is really just a matter of practice. My maths skills were really poor until I started actually working hard for it.

ditto

starrrboy

90s

i know this sounds pretencious but i really didnt do *tonnes* of studying, though i did work hard.
the best method for me was to highlight the notes the teachers give you, then copy them out then summarise them again.
oh and do some independent research, that way your essays wont sound the same as the rest of your classes
dont stress *too* much, i know ppl who locked themselves away when the HSC was going on, but i still went on relatively normally and it didnt matter.
oh and good luck!

syd17

HSC
i got in da top band 4 ancient and history extension and da best way to study dem is to write essays 4 each syllabus point. it takes time but it is worth it.

then, memorise ur intro and conclusion-making sure u can adapt it to da actual exam question-and memorise quotes and da main point for each essay, which evidentlym becomes ur essay plan.

hope dat helps and good luck 4 next year! :)

pri

HSC
N/A
aaah from what what I can conclude after reading all ur posts are to study smart not neccesarily to study hard

RIZAL

HSC
well I didn't get in the top band for legal but I did get 94 in the exam: learn each bullet point from the syllabus inside and out.
Economics (93 in the exam) and 90 overall: same thing, helps to learn what the graphs mean and how they work. Learn current stats and past stats. E.g. Budget outcomes for last 10 years, CAD for last 10 years, relationship between growth and just about everything.........arghhhh i'm blahhing.

maths: practice.....I'm angry about the way 4u was scaled this year....it scaled moderately better than legal and eco which any idiot can learn.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Isaac Reyes
maths: practice.....I'm angry about the way 4u was scaled this year....it scaled moderately better than legal and eco which any idiot can learn.
ext2 maths was scaled very well ... its just that this year the ext2 maths students were scaled based on the ext1 candidates for the ext1 'two units' ...

maths was significantly stronger than eco, which was scaled significantly better than legal ...

and im referring to uac scaled marks ... not the silly board hsc marks because they are a joke ...

pri

HSC
N/A
ultimately though if ur crap at 4 unit maths or any maths for that matter scalin aint gonna help

schwang_thang

using a range of textbooks is pretty helpful, it helps u determine wat kinda style u like, n u can filter out wat u want n wat u dont want

4 eg. in chem i hated 'pathways', found it was 2 verbose n beat around the bush alot. 'excel' (not really a textbook) gave u the basics on calculations, n 'conquering chem' i liked bcos it was pretty succinct.

marsesbars

Originally posted by pri
aaah from what what I can conclude after reading all ur posts are to study smart not neccesarily to study hard
True, and also you've got to cover everything they can ask in an exam. You'll be very prepared for the HSC this way ... so I guess it's working smart but consistently

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
studying smart will only get you that far ... for the extra mile you need to study hard not only smart ... from experience studying smart works fine for assessments (and even the trial when everyone is not fully prepared) ... however for the hsc - study hard ... there is no other way ...

RIZAL

HSC
ext 2 scaling

yeah your right Flyin', it wasn't scaled that bad.......and I guess I can't complain since I made band E4 in 3 and 4unit comfortably.

drolle

Originally posted by flyin'
studying smart will only get you that far ... for the extra mile you need to study hard not only smart ... from experience studying smart works fine for assessments (and even the trial when everyone is not fully prepared) ... however for the hsc - study hard ... there is no other way ...
I definitely disagree with this, my motto in life is that it's possible for everything to be easy, and so far I've found nothing to dispute it.

You can only say what works for you or people you've talked to, and you can't even ever really know exactly what it was that gave you those extra marks. But I do know that what you've said is not true for me -- you DON'T have to work your ass off, so there are probably other people who it's not true for either.

It's statements like yours that caused me to doubt my own way of learning and studying, which made it harder for me, when in reality the only thing I was doing wrong was not trusting myself enough!

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by drolle

I definitely disagree with this, my motto in life is that it's possible for everything to be easy, and so far I've found nothing to dispute it.

You can only say what works for you or people you've talked to, and you can't even ever really know exactly what it was that gave you those extra marks. But I do know that what you've said is not true for me -- you DON'T have to work your ass off, so there are probably other people who it's not true for either.

It's statements like yours that caused me to doubt my own way of learning and studying, which made it harder for me, when in reality the only thing I was doing wrong was not trusting myself enough!
I believe hard work is the only key to get something over 98. It is not "easy" for the top 1% of the state to be where they are. They worked hard.

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by InfiniteQ
I believe hard work is the only key to get something over 98. It is not "easy" for the top 1% of the state to be where they are. They worked hard.
I SO disagree with this. Well, depends what you mean by "hard" work, but we can't generalise that everyone who got 99 has worked "hard" by their standards. Most people need to work hard, but some people seriously don't.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl

I SO disagree with this. Well, depends what you mean by "hard" work, but we can't generalise that everyone who got 99 has worked "hard" by their standards. Most people need to work hard, but some people seriously don't.
Well what I mean is that they obviously don't bullshit their way to the top. You did really well ... would you say you found it "easy" to get your UAI?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)