• We have a few events lined up for the October school holidays!
    Watch this space...

People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (1 Viewer)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I have never listened in class and never made any notes. I did not do any classwork, homework or prac reports
All I did was read and cram textbooks 2 days before exams and It has proven to be really effective.
Maths 3U - 94
Maths 4U - 97
Chemistry - 92
Physics - 97

.....and for English I got 80 xD My improvisation skill clearly wasn't good enough xD

BlueBerrySun

Banned
HSC
The 'Just Do It' slogan by Nike sums it up pretty well.

There is really no need to look for 'How To Study' guides because if you're dedicated enough you would come up with your own guide that suits you. From my experience, people who ask about study tips are not really asking about study tips at all, but rather how to avoid procrastination. And to this I tell them to just study, 'Just Do It'.

Listen in class, understand the content, make notes, revise your notes, etc. There's no magic formula, and there's certainly no need to buy 'How To Study' guides or even hire a tutor. Many people who achieved a 99.95 (including myself) got it by raw, hard work.

mcookieman

HSC
I got over 90 in 3U Maths & 4U Maths & Chemistry

I'll admit that I didn't put as much effort into it as I could have but this is what I did.
  • Listen in Class <-- Important! even if you don't revise at least it's in your head if you pay attention in class
  • Work with your friends <-- Sharing difficult problems and helping explain stuff to each other not only helps yourself but it also helps your cohort which is important for the external exams
  • Notes <--If possible make your own and then revise off someone else's notes to get two perspectives(they have to be a good set though) - I was lazy so I didn't have my own notes for the entire year but luckily I had generous friends :)
  • Past Papers <-- Didn't pay attention in class? Past Papers are you friend, go through as many as you can, discuss as many as you can with friends, if possible get teachers to mark and comment on as many as you can

Also one last thing, it probably isn't a good idea to do a different option that you haven't studied for no matter how good of an idea it seems at the time. It isn't fun to just miss out on a Band 6 by one single mark and then doubt yourself on whether you could have done better.

hayleyemma96

HSC
General Maths (93): Essentially, I did past papers/textbook exercises (best way to learn in maths is to practice questions), make sure you know the formulas that aren't on the formula sheet, know when to use certain formulas, READ THE QUESTION PROPERLY (not doing this definitely cost me marks)
Legal Studies (92): Keep up to date with legislation/case law/media articles etc, analyse a few pieces of legislation/cases in detail rather than listing tons of cases (it shows you understand the content rather than simply memorising cases/legislation)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)