People who got >90 in subjects: how did you study? (2 Viewers)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: ppl who got >90 in subjects how did u study?!?!

make notes
read over your notes
do past papers

Little bit of procrastination is absolutely FINE.

I did that for my 2 unit and 3 unit maths :) my results were quite good :)
hope this helped

moeycq

b0$$
HSC

I didn't get above 90 but my marks were almost identical (All in between 80-86), so I can reccommend a method of studying which will let you study evenly.

I made my notes, typed them up, then recorded them onto tape using a dictaphone, then listened to them over and over and over - anywhere I went, my walkman went with me. Listened to it while walking, listened to it as I was falling asleep at night.

Also, use a rewards system, you don't want to torture yourself. Personally I love listening to music, so start by using that as a reward if you're listening to your notes. Once you've listened to your notes for 2 hours, allow yourself a CD.

My notes are on my homepage, go there if you need to torture yourself with what you're going to get over the next few months. (That to the new students, hi to everyone in "year 12" at Brigidine St Ives and Roseville College - especially Emma and Dom and Meera)
What is this dictaphone you speak of?

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC

What is this dictaphone you speak of?
It's a handheld device that records audio as a wma/mp3 onto a usb device.

wonderhero2

HSC

Does the ranking you get at school determine how high your mark for that subject will be in the HSC...???

Jeee

Banned
HSC

How should one organise all their work?
I know that for prelims I had a school book for each for subject, and I also had a separate book for studying and revising in, but that didn't work out for me, it became all over the place and hard to collate eventually.

And, is also better to type out your notes???

Uncle

Banned
HSC

typing notes is a waste of time..

hold on, i dont recall making notes at all, and i got 90+

because i dont leave out any content and eat the full sandwitch with crusts included.

chrisnumber1

HSC

past papers, even for class test. trade with friends from different schools and most teachers have the last 10 years of tests or trials availablee. first do it closed book and timed, see what you know. mark it and fix it up open book...by the time you have done a couple (other than english and religion i went back to 2000 HSC, 1998 for maths and 1996 for ext maths) you know everything. notes do help, but thats during the year when u dont have anything else on....which in yr 12 is a very rare moment.

HSC

past papers and getting my teachers to check through my essays and stuff. and study notes throughout the year :p

klara-klara

HSC

Summaries!!! They are what i attribute the majority of my marks to! I got 97 in ancient history which mainly came from some pretty fantastic summaries. Listed in the dot points of the syllabus, makes studying a whole lot easier. Also i re-wrote things over and over again. Practice papers and Prepared Essays from previous questions.

I also got 92 in Tourism which was mainly due to luck and 90 in Adv English which was probably from studying in a similar way to Ancient History.

Balance is also a big thing, try not to study too much in one subject and nothing in another... i found that really difficult though.

bubbrubb

HSC

Maths - Study as regularly as possible (try to achieve at least an hour a day for 2 unit and obviously much more for 3 and 4 unit, you can miss alot of days and it won't matter tho)

English - Practise essays done early (i didn't do this but often wish i had) and hand in to your teacher until she gives you the green light for 20/20. Try not to sit at the desk and write... do anything but english while thinking subconsciously about it, saves time.

Sciences - Follow the dotpoints as closely as possible and write your own notes if possible. Every nuance in the language of the dotpoint should be considered so you don't learn too much on a dotpoint that requires minimal knowledge and learn too little on a dotpoint that requires extensive knowledge. i probably spent more time analysing the dotpoints than actually studying chemistry (don't like learning + memorising things i don't have to).

Histories - Summarise everything into your own words. This is because there is an unbelievable amount of content that needs to be memorised and, unlike english, you cannot memorise practise essays unless you wish to memorise 100. So very summarised scaffolds are your best bet.

They were my subjects so i can only comment on those.

JustJackie

HSC
Uni Grad

For Band 6 subjects, my highest were 90 in Ancient History and 91 in Mathematics.
I believe that Band 6 2U Mathematics is the easiest Band 6 that you can ever get, but you actually have to study and understand the content as opposed to memorizing chucks.

I had interests in both subjects, so that's important although if you are a bright student scaling subjects usually do the trick. If you aren't going to put the effort in, and/or aren't reasonably smart then it might not be the best idea although that's obviously for the student to decide.

The HSC examination counts a lot more than the internal, I got band 6s for both these subjects despite low internals (about 10-20% lower).

Generally, don't give up when you're doing the HSC since you can still make a come-back and have a decent ATAR like myself. If you want a good, solid ATAR you need consistent effort. Start assignments early, study consistently, avoid poor sleeping habits, turn off technology and distractions around you, take a short walk when necessary and don't let one poor mark take the best of you. Also, if you tutor, make sure that you put some good effort in (revise and complete that homework, and ask your damn teacher for help if you don't get something).

Just to warn the reader, the next part is an anecdote. I studied 12 units, Rank 2 Legal Studies for Year 11. I got about 64% for my first test for Year 12(much below average). This affected my morale, and I continued to get average for the rest of the year except for the slightly above average 86 examination mark for HSC. Someone else in the same class got a similar mark for the first test, but didn't let that drop his morale and continued studying hard and got 90s for the rest of his exams and ended up getting a mid band 6 for the subject. So, once again, don't give up and be consistent. It isn't the end of the world if you don't do well at first, but don't let that be an excuse to procrastinate or be lazy (which I don't count as an excuse btw). :)

Hazballs

HSC

How should one organise all their work?
I know that for prelims I had a school book for each for subject, and I also had a separate book for studying and revising in, but that didn't work out for me, it became all over the place and hard to collate eventually.

And, is also better to type out your notes???

i have one folder for all subjects at school when we are doing work, however i type up religion/english work and print these off. When i have finished the topic that we are currently doing i take all my work out and put it in a seperate folder with all the subtopics that we do that year. Then i have a section at the back for study notes which i just have past papers and i copy out the syallbus dot points

JayCakie

HSC

Didn't study.

Just crammed a few days before.

JayCakie

HSC

Advanced tactics :). Well done if that worked for you.
Well it did, I managed to get in Commerce in UNSW. But seriously, if someone does some form of minor consistent study and just memorises/does practice/past papers it tends to help a lot.

Understatement.

ernestcuellar

HSC

The study tips are,

Study in Short, Frequent Sessions:It has been proven that short bursts of concentration repeated frequently are much more effective than one long session.

Take Guilt-Free Days of Rest:This follows the same principle as above, but on a longer, daily time cycle.

Honor Your Emotional State:Do not study if you are tired, angry, distracted, or in a hurry. When the brain is relaxed, it is like a sponge and it naturally absorbs data without effort

Create a Study Routine:Generally, if you schedule certain times of the day to study, you will get into a routine and accomplish more.

Avoid the Frustration Enemy:Ironically, the quicker the person’s nervous system, the faster they learn. Yet, this fast nervous system also works overtime in being self-critical.

katejones

HSC
I used this book by Nina Sunday - Brainpower Smart Study ($5 or something on kindle). It teaches you how to study and its a really quick read. Helped me get a super high atar!

j12onuzim

HSC
I used this book by Nina Sunday - Brainpower Smart Study ($5 or something on kindle). It teaches you how to study and its a really quick read. Helped me get a super high atar!
Share some tips please?

darkchaos69

HSC
I have never listened in class and never made any notes. I did not do any classwork, homework or prac reports
All I did was read and cram textbooks 2 days before exams and It has proven to be really effective.
Maths 3U - 94
Maths 4U - 97
Chemistry - 92
Physics - 97

.....and for English I got 80 xD My improvisation skill clearly wasn't good enough xD

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I have never listened in class and never made any notes. I did not do any classwork, homework or prac reports
All I did was read and cram textbooks 2 days before exams and It has proven to be really effective.
Maths 3U - 94
Maths 4U - 97
Chemistry - 92
Physics - 97

.....and for English I got 80 xD My improvisation skill clearly wasn't good enough xD
solid brag

Reactions: h_g

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)