Perfectionist? (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
damnation said:
Okay, i'm having major problems. Firstly, i hate everything that i haver written. What concerns me is that while redoing the scenes (i'm doing a screenplay) is that i tend to obsess over a particular scene until its reasonable. What i'm worried about is the fact that i'm being too picky and often it looks like i'm not doing any work because i'm obsessing over what i have already done. It's a weird hang up, i need to progress and at the same time i want it to be as good as possible. What should i do, continue being a raving lunatic that obsesses over small details or keep rewriting my other scenes? :confused: Anyone else having the same problem?
Re-writing is a sure sign that you're progressing (albeit slowly) with your concepts, you're realising that this isnt the way to it, part of EE2 i always think is the ability to really convey what you want within the medium. If you can say that its shit and not what you wanted, thats a good sign (unless this time is 8:59am during day of submission, in which case :p )

monique66

AsyLum said:
Re-writing is a sure sign that you're progressing (albeit slowly) with your concepts, you're realising that this isnt the way to it, part of EE2 i always think is the ability to really convey what you want within the medium. If you can say that its shit and not what you wanted, thats a good sign (unless this time is 8:59am during day of submission, in which case :p )
Yeah good point :cool:
I'm writing it right now and i feel like its progressing but still a bit to slowly. Man i wish i was a fabulous writer that could just write and not have to think so much! *sighs*

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
That's it I need to stick her advice in my journal.... Its part of the Process...

I will share it with the rest of the class tmrw...

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I think you should just steal her and plonk her in your class room to say all the helpful and wonderful things she does:)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
kami said:
I think you should just steal her and plonk her in your class room to say all the helpful and wonderful things she does:)
haha.. yes perhaps... any ideas on how I could do that?

HSC
N/A
*has decided to adopt the 05's*

*is filled with overwhelming love for all her adopted duckies*

I remember last year, I was always really inspired to write after my weekly interview thingy with my EE2 teacher - sometimes all you need is a little shove in the right direction, and if any of us 04's need to do that, we are always here. :)

Also remember your friendly EE2 Benefactors who are always here for you!

jhakka (number one person for down-to-earth advice)

goldendawn (an endless fountain of knowledge, particularly with syntax and all things "proper" in the literary world - and possibly also everything greek)

and myself (glitterfairy) - the little voice that is always here to fill your ears with positiveness and e-hugs whenever you need them :)

OutOfOrder

HSC
My ext 2 teacher told me im a perfectionist, and that its holding me back because it's preventing me from getting much work done. She told me to just stop worrying and write something and keep writing! if its not good you can always change it, and chances are it will turn out great.
I did what she said and ive finished half my MW so far.. and im pretty happy with it :)

SamuelB

HSC
OutOfOrder said:
My ext 2 teacher told me im a perfectionist, and that its holding me back because it's preventing me from getting much work done. She told me to just stop worrying and write something and keep writing! if its not good you can always change it, and chances are it will turn out great.
I did what she said and ive finished half my MW so far.. and im pretty happy with it :)
Woah, scary how familiar that sounds. My problem is that I started and got to about 2000 words, then became obsessive editing it for a week or so, then handed it in to my teacher. She really liked it, but i have not been able to write a single word since (over 4 weeks ago now!). And I'm gradually getting more depressed about it. Everytime i try to sit down and write something more it's shit and not good enough to go with what i've got so far. So I end up just refining what i've already got even more, MAKING THE PROBLEM WORSE! :(

OutOfOrder

HSC
SamuelB said:
Woah, scary how familiar that sounds. My problem is that I started and got to about 2000 words, then became obsessive editing it for a week or so, then handed it in to my teacher. She really liked it, but i have not been able to write a single word since (over 4 weeks ago now!). And I'm gradually getting more depressed about it. Everytime i try to sit down and write something more it's shit and not good enough to go with what i've got so far. So I end up just refining what i've already got even more, MAKING THE PROBLEM WORSE! :(
just start writing anything! even if it is crap, just let it flow. Write first and think later. Im up to 8000 words and nowhere near finished... but its coming along good, its not in its best shape right now, but at least the basics are there. you can always go back once its done and edit and make it perfect! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)