perform an investigation to demonstrate magnetic levitation (4.3.2.) (1 Viewer)

*Pooja*

we didnt get to do this at my school.

so would any1 b willing to describe what they and the safety precautions they took. (apparently there's safety issues you have to consider but im not sure of what they are exactly)

thanks.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
The easiest way to demonstrate 'magnetic levitation' is to get a measuring cylinder, put 2 bar magnets with like poles facing each other into it vertically and voila :p

Ok, the proper way is to get a petri dish, place a ceramic superconducting material into it, fill the dish with liquid nitrogen up to where it just covers the surface of the superconductor and use tongs or tweezers to place a rare earth magnet on top... VOILA :D

safety precautions: don't stick any body parts into the liquid nitrogen, don't spill/pour it onto your trousers, make sure experiment is performed in well ventilated area, wear safety goggles and gloves etc

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
The easiest way to demonstrate 'magnetic levitation' is to get a measuring cylinder, put 2 bar magnets with like poles facing each other into it vertically and voila :p
thats what we did :D except in a test tube. my teacher tried the rare earth magnets and shattered the test tube.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
Ok, the proper way is to get a petri dish, place a ceramic superconducting material into it, fill the dish with liquid nitrogen up to where it just covers the surface of the superconductor and use tongs or tweezers to place a rare earth magnet on top... VOILA :D

yep thats exactly what we did; liquid nitrogen :D and i think its the most "appropriate" way

um safety: try not to touch it if u can; its quite tempting
goggles-? we didn't use em hehe
gloves

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Teacher dipped his hand into the liquid nitrogen then pulled it out again to scare us. Apparently it doesn't hurt unless you keep it in there longer than a second.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y
yep thats exactly what we did; liquid nitrogen :D and i think its the most "appropriate" way

um safety: try not to touch it if u can; its quite tempting
goggles-? we didn't use em hehe
gloves
MY GOD... first 18 M H2SO4, now super conductor/ maglev exp... did u come from grammar?? =)
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Teacher dipped his hand into the liquid nitrogen then pulled it out again to scare us. Apparently it doesn't hurt unless you keep it in there longer than a second.
lolz, yea, i touched dry ice once... it doesn't hurt, not even cold... but then, a fwnd dared me to push into it, and...

yea, u all noe wut happened.... =p

btw, 1337 th post!!! muahahahahahahha!!!

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
lolz, yea, i touched dry ice once... it doesn't hurt, not even cold... but then, a fwnd dared me to push into it, and...
OUCH!

Dry ice is fun to use. Fill a bottle with water and chuck heaps of dry ice in it and close the lid. Then throw it at the wall or something. BOOM!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
MY GOD... first 18 M H2SO4, now super conductor/ maglev exp... did u come from grammar?? =)
We get to do the superconductor experiment later using a superconductor the school has and we go to a public school. (My teacher the head teacher of science, acquired it after a class of his made it at another school)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
errrrr i've seen some 3rd degree burns from liquid nitrogen.....so try not to touch it!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But what if Im thirsty?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC

nope. the H2SO4 was for chem. i don't see why school students can't use it. just use the fume cupboard:p

regarding the liquid nitrogen, we did this prac at the uni. our chem teacher who left in term 2 wouldn't buy liquid nitrogen, even tho it was perfectly legal. she couldnt trust us:D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
On a related note you cant send liquid helium via the post, but it doesnt mention anything about liquid nitrogen.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
hmmm yeh you can send liquid nitrogen through the post but the container which you would have to keep it in is in a themos
and i think you can't send that thought the post because they might think it's a bomb or something like that

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But why would they ban liquid helium and liquid argon then? Unless it is due to the fact that they boil at alot lower temperatures causing them to rapidly expand.

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
We used 18M H2SO4 today in chem, was quite funny
Teacher "This is 18M acid and is extremely corrosive, do you all know what that means"
Me: "We have to use safety goggles?"

Teacher spilled a srop on paper and it turned green and ate right through. he said that once he took a whif of it and his nose started gushing out blood, the blood vessels had been corroded away.

how cool is acid

Collin

HSC
N/A
Warning: Sticking your hand into a flask of liquid nitrogen is generally good for your health. Do so at your own risk.

yadmas

HSC
Personally, I think this investigation should be removed from the syllabus as it poses a disadvantage to many students. The requirement of liquid nitrogen to complete the investigation is ridiculous, as many, if not most of the schools in the state do not have the facilities or budget to complete this and demonstrate it to students. Thus, the Board of studies should immediately remove this investigation, to ensure equality between schools in the state!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I think this investigation should be removed from the syllabus as it poses a disadvantage to many students. The requirement of liquid nitrogen to complete the investigation is ridiculous, as many, if not most of the schools in the state do not have the facilities or budget to complete this and demonstrate it to students. Thus, the Board of studies should immediately remove this investigation, to ensure equality between schools in the state!
You can easily use YouTube.

It's good enough.

yadmas

HSC
Yes, im not staying that there aren't alternate methods, such as youtube, but students should not be expected to have completed this investigation in the classroom.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
It doesn't specify that it needs to be magnetic levitation due to Meissner Effect.

A very common practical for this is to use regular bar magnets and some nails fixed into a piece of wood (to ensure the bar magnets dont 'slip' past each other), then just put the opposite poles on top of each other and you will see the top magnet levitate above the bottom magnet. Dot point completed!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)